Building muscle while cutting - what’s working for you?

For everyone here who is looking to build muscle while losing body fat, please post what’s working for you. For me it’s low carb and fat and high on protein while lifting heavy and some weeks and others high volume and of course sometimes both!

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    It's hard to tell. When I started weight training I was overweight enough that I MAY have gained muscle. I had some pretty great results once I got very lean. But, it really is minimal and I have no data to back up whether it really happened or not.

I kept a moderate deficit, ate a lot of protein, and adhered to good programming.

I've gained muscle in a surplus and maintenance for sure. No question there.
  • MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    It's hard to tell. When I started weight training I was overweight enough that I MAY have gained muscle. I had some pretty great results once I got very lean. But, it really is minimal and I have no data to back up whether it really happened or not.

I kept a moderate deficit, ate a lot of protein, and adhered to good programming.

What type of programming do you suggest. Do you create your own or follow someone else’s?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »

What type of programming do you suggest. Do you create your own or follow someone else’s?

I did mostly compound lifts for strength. I rarely make my own programs. I either run a cookie cutter program or have a coach create mine. I ran Strong Lifts 5x5, Wendlers 5/3/1 and when I was a little more advanced I ran PHUL but I don't recommend that in a deficit.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    I started lifting over a year ago. Was 192 and around 25% BF. 13 months later I'm 177 and 16% BF. I think I maybe put on around five pounds of muscle in that time. If you want to put on muscle you really need to eat a surplus. Focus on meeting one goal at a time instead of trying to meet two conflicting goals at once. I recommend getting very lean and then starting a slow bulk (half pound a week or so). I think you'll be much happier with the results.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    I'm doing 5x5 on a very mild surplus, about a pound of body weight increase per month. I also do cardio on off days. I've had to adjust my 5x5 since I don't make as much progress, spending 3-4 workouts progressing at same weight, but reducing rest between sets.
  • MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I build muscle while eating in a surplus. Lots of carbs, enough protein and fat. Oh and fantastic programming.

What type of fantastic programming do you prefer?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I build muscle while eating in a surplus. Lots of carbs, enough protein and fat. Oh and fantastic programming.

What type of fantastic programming do you prefer?

Personally anything by Bret Contreras, 3-4x per week full body heavily glute focused. But that may not be in line with your goals...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I don't build much if any muscle while cutting. My focus during the cutting is to maintain muscle, keep my protein intake the same, lower my carbs a tad, keeps my fats moderate.. lift, eat, sleep and repeat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    As mentioned, building muscle while cutting is very difficult but can be done if you are new to lifting.

I dont know if i gained muscle but i have an extra 1/2" in my biceps and a more developed chest. I designed my own program that is an upper lower split that incorporates both strength and hypertrophy work. It is primarily focused on the core lifts but also incorporates accessory moves to compliment and address the smaller muscles.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited February 2018
    Ok so I have a question. I've been lifting and I've definitely noticed strength and have been lifting more heavier and heavier as I go along. I am seeing results in the way I look (more compact and less flabby) So if I start cutting will I start seeing more definition? Would that be muscle gain or muscle tone?

And I've been eating at a moderate deficit with high protein. Also I've been thinking of eating at more of a deficit like 1300-1400 calories but I've been told that is not good. I should be eating no less than 1600.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited February 2018
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Ok so I have a question. I've been lifting and I've definitely noticed strength and have been lifting more heavier and heavier as I go along. I am seeing results in the way I look (more compact and less flabby) So if I start cutting will I start seeing more definition? Would that be muscle gain or muscle tone?

And I've been eating at a moderate deficit with high protein. Also I've been thinking of eating at more of a deficit like 1300-1400 calories but I've been told that is not good. I should be eating no less than 1600.

New lifter? + moderate/low deficit + higher protein = strength/muscle gains. Have you seen the thread below:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10611633/gaining-muscle-in-a-deficit/p1

You are already cutting since you stated you were in a calorie deficit. As you lose body fat, muscles become more defined. Are you male or female? If male never go below 1500 calories; however male or female the amount of calories you choose to lose weight depends on where you are weight wise, how much you need to lose and since preserving muscle is a priority, making your deficit more aggressive is an approach possibly counter productive.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    What works for me currently would not be optimal for somebody who has only trained 3 years or less.

Ultimately if your goal is strength, hypertrophy, or endurance...it's all driven by adequate volume. It's no secret, and it not different for anybody. Ideally you want the least amount of stress to force adaptation.
  • dbanks80
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

New lifter? + moderate/low deficit + higher protein = strength/muscle gains. Have you seen the thread below:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10611633/gaining-muscle-in-a-deficit/p1

You are already cutting since you stated you were in a calorie deficit. As you lose body fat, muscles become more defined. Are you male or female? If male never go below 1500 calories; however male or female the amount of calories you choose to lose weight depends on where you are weight wise, how much you need to lose and since preserving muscle is a priority, making your deficit more aggressive is an approach possibly counter productive.

Sorry I should have added this information

Female
    5' 9"
    175 lbs
    I would be happy to get 155-160 lbs

I've been lifting for over a year. I like the way I look but would like to cut more to get more definition at the same time keep lifting heavy to beat PRs.
  • RoxieDawn

Female
    5' 9"
    175 lbs

I've been lifting for over a year. I like the way I look but would like to cut more to get more definition at the same time keep lifting heavy to beat PRs.

I would keep a goal of 160ish for now and keep your rate of loss between .5 to 1 pound per week. Decide when you get close to that goal if you want to move to recomp where you keep your calories at maintenance. This will give you a more optimal method for building muscle and you will keep losing fat, that definition will start showing. :smile:
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,981 Member
    I'm still "returning" to regular workouts and lifting (~2008-2015 fat and lazy; 2016 getting fit and losing weight; 2017 injury lay up; 11/17-now back to regular workouts).

I'm eating at a very slight deficit (up to "maintenance" for my goal weight) and increasing weight as reps get easy. Steady increases in how much I can lift. Workouts have increased in intensity pretty steadily as well.

At first I was going low fat/lower carb, but realized that adding some additional carbs back in and I was recovering better and faster, so I'm making a point to include more in my diet. High protein, moderate fat.

I've tried to eat at a slightly steeper deficit, but my workouts started to suffer (almost immediately) and I was just more worn out throughout the day. Fitness is more important than the weight at this point, so I'm not going to try for a more rapid weight loss anytime too soon.

I'm mostly in a recomp - scale is holding pretty steady, but photos and measurements show some dramatic changes. Definitely putting on muscle in some areas, but again, these are probably mostly "newbie gains."
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    For everyone here who is looking to build muscle while losing body fat, please post what’s working for you. For me it’s low carb and fat and high on protein while lifting heavy and some weeks and others high volume and of course sometimes both!

very small deficit (sometimes maintenance) + newb (been weight training less than a year) + getting recommended protein + being close enough to normal weight at the start for the muscle definition to be visible after a few months of training.
  • dbanks80

Female
    5' 9"
    175 lbs

I would keep a goal of 160ish for now and keep your rate of loss between .5 to 1 pound per week. Decide when you get close to that goal if you want to move to recomp where you keep your calories at maintenance. This will give you a more optimal method for building muscle and you will keep losing fat, that definition will start showing. :smile:

Thank you!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited February 2018
    I recomped and lost 10# of BF while gaining 6# of LBM (lean body mass) over 12 months while in maintenance by lifting (@ 65-85% of max) and doing cardio (just rowing, hiking and StairMaster) and eating a relatively high protein diet (0.8-1.2g/# BW).

This reduced my BF from 16 to 10% (as meadured by hydro).

I just lost another 2# in the past month doing the same and just got the lowest DXA reading ever at 12.5% but DXA always measures 2-3% high when compared w/hydro.

So, I expect my BF to drop below 10% (and my LBM to increase a bit more) when I take my next hydro test in a couple of days.

I never gained (just lost) LBM while eating at a deficit but I only did that for 6 months and have been in maintenance ever since