Building muscle while cutting - what’s working for you?

Options

Replies

• MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Personally anything by Bret Contreras, 3-4x per week full body heavily glute focused. But that may not be in line with your goals...[/quote]

Thanks. Not exactly glute focused, lol but I have been adding some glute work to help me push past a plateau on my squats. I am kinda intimidated by the exercise the ladies do in the gym where they start by laying under the bar. I don’t even know what you call that, lol.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

Thanks. Not exactly glute focused, lol but I have been adding some glute work to help me push past a plateau on my squats. I am kinda intimidated by the exercise the ladies do in the gym where they start by laying under the bar. I don’t even know what you call that, lol.

hip thrusts.

(edit: fixed quotes)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    or glute bridges
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Personally anything by Bret Contreras, 3-4x per week full body heavily glute focused. But that may not be in line with your goals...

Hip thrusts are done with back on a bench. Glute bridges are lying on the floor. Men do them too, although probably not as common.

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Personally anything by Bret Contreras, 3-4x per week full body heavily glute focused. But that may not be in line with your goals...

Hip thrusts are done with back on a bench. Glute bridges are lying on the floor. Men do them too, although probably not as common.

There are actually four guys at my gym I've seen do them. Two of them do it because of me LOL
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I gained strength while cutting...by having a very small deficit and continuing to lift heavy...and having patience.

I gained size (and strength) while bulking...managed to minimize fat gains by having a very small surplus and lifting heavy...and having patience.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    I gained strength while cutting...by having a very small deficit and continuing to lift heavy...and having patience.

I gained size (and strength) while bulking...managed to minimize fat gains by having a very small surplus and lifting heavy...and having patience.

Well said.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    My husband does hip thrusts sometimes...not gonna lie, he looks silly. He's 6'3 and all legs.

I needed more volume to bring up my squats...switched from 8/6/4 programming to 5 weeks of 3x10 followed by 5 weeks of 3x6.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I just read an article about hip thrusts - in a study supposedly doing them improved max squat, even though the participants were not doing any squats. So they are definitely a thing more men should take an interest in, even if they do look silly.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I just read an article about hip thrusts - in a study supposedly doing them improved max squat, even though the participants were not doing any squats. So they are definitely a thing more men should take an interest in, even if they do look silly.

Unless one train squats for maximum strength, then hip thrusts are inefficient.

Also doing any lift that involving the posterior chain would improve the squat max if one wasn't training squats. Just testing a squat max alone will improve the squat from someone who doesn't train squats. Hence why a novice doesn't ever have a true max.
  • theGreatPondero
    theGreatPondero Posts: 15 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    In one year I have gone from 140 lb lean mass to 144 lb lean mass (measured with hydrostatic displacement) while essentially staying the same weight (168) but also losing 3.8 lbs of body fat. I attribute it to sporadic calorie tracking, and having higher protein and fat, lower carb, and doing HIIT 5 out of every 7 days, incorporating 2 sprint training days, alternated every three month or so with a simple pushup and pullup routine (keeping the sprints for the HIIT routine) Also, I eat only whole foods prepared myself, gave up alcohol, wheat, and dairy, and eat out only once or twice every few months.

My goal is to simply cut BF now to 10% (I gather this is essential level for a late 40s guy) and don't really care if I put on much more muscle. Those last 8 lbs of fat are rough.

This was the HIIT routine:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/3ewqpt/i_am_phil_mackenzie_pro_rugby_player_here_is_how/
  • MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

So you are saying if I do hip thrust it will help improve my max squat. Anything else that will help. My goal is to get to 500lbs. I hit 455 a few months ago but now I am cutting and a little nervous about putting that much weight on my back at this time.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Unless one train squats for maximum strength, then hip thrusts are inefficient.

Also doing any lift that involving the posterior chain would improve the squat max if one wasn't training squats. Just testing a squat max alone will improve the squat from someone who doesn't train squats. Hence why a novice doesn't ever have a true max.

These weren't novices, they were people who had been doing it at least a year. I can't remember the details of the control group, but there was one - looked like a pretty good study. I believe the article was on STACK if you want to look it up and form your own opinion.

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options

So you are saying if I do hip thrust it will help improve my max squat. Anything else that will help. My goal is to get to 500lbs. I hit 455 a few months ago but now I am cutting and a little nervous about putting that much weight on my back at this time.

If you can do a 455# back squat (which is an incredible about of weight for a squat or any other lift) and want to reach 500#, the best way to get there (as it is at any other weight) is just to squat progressively more.

Don't see how doing hip thrusts would help achieve that any better than just doing more squats because I don't see how you'd even begin to hip thrust 455# let alone 500. LOL!!!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

If you can do a 455# back squat (which is an incredible about of weight for a squat or any other lift) and want to reach 500#, the best way to get there (as it is at any other weight) is just to squat progressively more.

Don't see how doing hip thrusts would help achieve that any better than just doing more squats because I don't see how you'd even begin to hip thrust 455# let alone 500. LOL!!!

What do you mean by this? I hip thrust about 400 as a 145lb female.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Please post a video.
  • bbell1985
    Options

Please post a video.

I think the highest I have on video is 365. It's on my IG and I'm not going to post my name in this forum.

If you're asking because you don't believe me...not sure why it's so surprising. If I can deadlift 290 I would hope I can hip thrust quite a bit more as it's much easier.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

Please post a video.

I think the highest I have on video is 365. It's on my IG and I'm not going to post my name in this forum.

If you're asking because you don't believe me...not sure why it's so surprising. If I can deadlift 290 I would hope I can hip thrust quite a bit more as it's much easier.

Agreed. I can hip thrust a hell of a lot more than I can do any other lift. Great job!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Wow you are the hip thrust Queen for real! My poor sad glutes have a long way to go before I get even close :p
  • bbell1985
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Wow you are the hip thrust Queen for real! My poor sad glutes have a long way to go before I get even close :p

You know we train differently though! I do higher rep stuff in the 225-255 range but I love going heavy sometimes.

Have you tried like a two rep max? I'm sure you'd surprise yourself.