Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is 13 too young for a diet ?????

bikecheryl
bikecheryl Posts: 1,431 Member
"In February, the world's oldest and largest weight-loss company announced it will offer children ages 13 to 17 free summer memberships as part of its strategy to more than double revenue and memberships by the end of 2020."

"They will have free access to Weight Watchers when they join with an adult, helping them develop healthy habits at a critical life stage," new CEO Mindy Grossman said during an employee event in New York on Feb. 7."

I'm torn as I can seriously see the Pro's and Con's.

What's your take ??????

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    People are being all up in arms about this. We don't know what their plan is and if it follows the same points principles, in which case that wouldn't be the best choice for teenagers. They may have a whole new system set up specifically for kids that doesn't involve restricting and instead encourages intake of more nutritious foods. That would be an okay idea and not any different from any generic "eat better" advice but with a structure. No need to over react to this before we see what they are planning.

Well said. Although initially this rubs me the wrong way, I think it's important to see what they're actually going to be offering the teenagers before getting upset. It could be something really different than what we may think of as a typical WW plan.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    The overweight kids should definitely adjust down their food intake. It is dieting, then yes be it.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    In some ways, joining with an adult may make it worse for teens, although it makes sense that you don't want teens doing something like WW without close adult supervision. My teen DS will avoid doing things that HE wants to do if I suggest them.

An example just happened -- he has today off school, so he was sleeping in. I mentioned to him at like 10:00 that if he wanted to get a workout in before an appointment at 1:00, he should think about getting up. The result was that he stayed in bed extra time, even though he really wanted to work out, and how he's hurrying to get his lifting in before his appointment. That seems to be what's so tough with teens -- their need to assert independence works against doing other stuff that is in their best interest if parents suggest it.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    edited March 2018
    I just read an article today about WW. I believe it said that in May, it's going to shift it's focus from weight loss to "overall health and wellness" at any fitness level. So I'm just wondering if this was a good time to announce something going forward with teens. It's not stated in the article, so it's a total assumption on my part.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/weight-watchers-is-shifting-from-weight-loss-to-wellness-as-healthy-is-the-new-skinny-2018-02-28
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I think that's about the time I started dieting, as in paying attention to my weight. I wasn't fat then, but maybe I would have become fat if I hadn't done it.

Some children's hospitals now offer bariatric surgery for teens. These are crazy desperate times.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    It depends. A fad diet? Absolutely not. A diet that they are forced into following by their parents because the parents are embarrassed about their child's weight? Also absolutely not. However, if a 13-year-old feels self-conscious about his or her body, their parents and pediatrician can help guide them toward healthier choices before the child starts to take drastic and unhealthy actions themselves. Also, given the rate of childhood obesity, diets may be necessary for more and more children for health reasons.

Depending how WW implements their idea, it might not be bad, especially the freestyle plan which I think allows unlimited fruits and vegetables because they're worth zero points and would encourage kids toward healthier snack choices.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Ha.
    In February, the world's oldest and largest weight-loss company

This reminds me of any number of controversial ideas. "Worlds oldest and largest soft drink company [Coca Cola] changes its recipe" News at 11.

I think it's brilliant marketing.

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    We are trying to head off weight issues early by setting a good example and signing them up for sports.

We teach that treats are once in awhile, eating out (including fast food) is a treat, to stop when you are full and start with a small portion cause you can have more if you are still hungry.

I understand the struggle of being bigger than other girls my age. I’m pretty sure by 13 I was really self conscious. I don’t want my daughters or my son to feel that way. I think 13 is young to be on a diet program especially one that would make other kids make fun of them, but some 13 year olds are quite mature. It would definitely depend on the kid and their parent and doctor.

I think sports participation really helps with body confidence. My daughters swim on a team and my son wrestles. We take the kids bike riding and the park regularly when the weather is nice.