Alcohol and gains

I've been wanting to get some perspective on this topic for a while.

I'm not a heavy drinker, but I certainly enjoy wine and the occasional cocktail (usually a margarita). I try to stick to red wine and tequila. I would say I have 2-6 glasses per week (rarely more than 2 in one sitting). And I try to give myself extra hydration and not drink more than one glass on a heavy recovery day.

However, I still feel guilty and paranoid every time because I'm not sure how/if it is affecting my hard work at the gym.

So what is everyone's opinion/experience on this topic? How much, if at all, do you allow yourself to drink?

Replies

• foreversnafu
    foreversnafu Posts: 29 Member
    I personally can't go out drinking and have fun on 2-6 beers in one sitting, so I just stopped going out. Such is life on a cut.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I think it is going to be very personal ... some people can tolerate alcohol well, make amazing progress, some cannot.

If you are making progress in the gym, feel good, aren't letting alcohol/ hangovers affect your eating and workouts, I say you should be fine.

Personally I love wine and have it with dinner most nights, I don't drink heavy alcohol often though... if I do it is rare and not around my training. But I have had no issues with muscle building or leaning out, but YMMV.

I always go by Eric Helms' recommendation, to not go over 15% of your calories in alcohol. And drink like you have a 5am leg day the next morning. That usually puts things into perspective for most.

I had a beautiful glass of wine with dinner last night and had a super sweet deadlift sesh this morning. I usually have a drink or two, usually beer, on the weekends.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Might help to know your work in the gym.

Lifting and drinking socially once a week won't effect most. Nothing wrong with being social and enjoying some sauce.

There is a guy I use to play ball with a few years ago who is sort of social-media famous for doing strong things while hammered, I wouldn't go that route.

If its more cardio, I would defer to your ability and tolerance.

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    I think, and maybe I'm wrong so correct me if so, that the OP is asking if there is anything about alcohol consumption that interferes with or inhibits anabolic pathways? Is that correct?

That being said, of course anything more than moderation is just not a great thing on multiple levels. But would a beer or 2 or a couple of glasses of wine, even if daily as in some ethnic cultures, inhibit muscle growth in someone who is doing weight training at maintenance or slight caloric surplus?
  • jiggyj9
    jiggyj9 Posts: 90 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    I think, and maybe I'm wrong so correct me if so, that the OP is asking if there is anything about alcohol consumption that interferes with or inhibits anabolic pathways? Is that correct?

That being said, of course anything more than moderation is just not a great thing on multiple levels. But would a beer or 2 or a couple of glasses of wine, even if daily as in some ethnic cultures, inhibit muscle growth in someone who is doing weight training at maintenance or slight caloric surplus?

Yes, this is what I was asking

• jiggyj9
    jiggyj9 Posts: 90 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I think it is going to be very personal ... some people can tolerate alcohol well, make amazing progress, some cannot.

If you are making progress in the gym, feel good, aren't letting alcohol/ hangovers affect your eating and workouts, I say you should be fine.

Personally I love wine and have it with dinner most nights, I don't drink heavy alcohol often though... if I do it is rare and not around my training. But I have had no issues with muscle building or leaning out, but YMMV.

I always go by Eric Helms' recommendation, to not go over 15% of your calories in alcohol. And drink like you have a 5am leg day the next morning. That usually puts things into perspective for most.

Great response. Definitely puts it into perspective!
  • Davidsdottir
    jiggyj9 wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »

Yes, this is what I was asking

Okay, to be more specific, I don't usually drink the night before I lift. I lift Mon-Fri and have 1-2 drinks Fri and Sat night. I knew I could sleep in today so I had a drink last night and it definitely did not negatively affect my deads today.
  • martyFul
    martyFul Posts: 2 Member
    This is something that is very over exaggerated. In my experience, some of the best gains in regards to strength I have ever made were when I was putting a 6 pack and /or going to the bar every night with friends. I don't doubt that alcohol impedes strength /muscle gains but I believe it's a lot like when people stress the important of "meal timing" or having 8 small meals a day etc... Sure maybe on paper in some arbitrary way, it is beneficial but to the average person its going to make virtually no noticeable different unless you're comparing results over large periods of time where that is the only variable. TLDR : not as big of a deal as it is made out to be. Especially in the amounts you're referring to
  • NerdyFlex
    NerdyFlex Posts: 1,672 Member
    Everything is fine in moderation! I definitely love to eat some brownies and cheesecake every now and then haha
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    A good article by Martin Berkhan about alcohol and gainz/fat loss/general health: https://leangains.com/the-truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle-growth/
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    I'll drink on the weekends. I used to drink more during the week too but I've changed jobs to something with less stress. I've had no problems recomping and gaining strength while drinking. I'd stick to beer and limit it to 1000 cals total of alcohol in a night. I've had some great lifting sessions with a hangover. All the carbs seem to help.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    And there's me with half a 330ml can of rhubarb cider :D
  • Davidsdottir

Rhubarb cider??? Okay, color me intrigued.
  • NerdyFlex
    @Davidsdottir how much can you max on squat?
  • Davidsdottir
    NerdyFlex wrote: »

1RM is currently 210 lbs (136 lb body weight)
  • NerdyFlex

That’s really impressive! Good work!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member

Sweet!! Nice work.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member

Rhubarb cider??? Okay, color me intrigued.

In the UK flavoured cider is very popular, there's quite a few to choose from. I prefer the artisan type as the taste is spectacular.