How do you estimate?

dpr73
dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
I am beginning my (probably 5th) attempt at bulking. I am currently 138, male, 5'7.5, 23 y/o. I go to the gym consistently 5 days a week. However, I have failed to add muscle the way I want because I always fear that the surplus will add too much fat to my frame. I like being lean but my goal is to be 155 and lean, which I know requires a surplus. I would say my biggest hang up is days where I cannot count (usually social activities). I am so accurate and disciplined counting everyday. However, I fear ruining my surplus on these days (about once a week) where I can't track a meal (e.g. going out to dinner with girlfriend or family). Obviously, you can't avoid life for bulking, so how do you all successfully ensure you stay on track and don't go too high on the surplus on these days out, while also not ending up in a deficit as well?

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    One day out of the week isn't going to kill you. I'm up 10 lbs in 4 months and don't track anything on most Saturdays when I go out.

What's your TDEE, current intake, macros (in grams), and lifting program?
  • dpr73
    I was steadily losing weight on 2300 calories recently, which spurred me to attempt a lean bulk again. So I estimate my TDEE to be about 2500 (though MFP informs me to bulk at 2500). I eat about 2700-2750 a day, macro goals: P-155g (at least 135g), carbs-345g, fats- 85. My lifting program follows a body split (Chest, Shoulder, Back, Legs). I do one of the big lifts (bench, military press, deadlifts, and shrugs) 5x5 on each of those days, with ancillary lifts thrown in (e.g. incline bench, shrugs, bent-over rows, leg press/lunges) for higher reps. After it is all said and done, I do about 4-5 different exercises on these days, totaling to 45 mins-1 hour. I do abs for about 10 mins at the end of the workouts.
  • dpr73
    One day out of the week isn't going to kill you. I'm up 10 lbs in 4 months and don't track anything on most Saturdays when I go out.

See post above. Forgot to quote you
  • Davidsdottir
    dpr73 wrote: »

No worries.

Okay, so if you were losing at 2300, then I'd start bulking closer to 2700, as you are. MFP just gives estimates, so a lot of this is trial and error. Your intake looks good, but your program could be better. If you're juicing, a body part split like that is fine. If you're not, I recommend taking a look at the established lifting programs stickied at the top of this forum and choose either a full body program or upper/lower split. To maximize gains naturally, it's better to work your muscles more frequently than once a week.
  • dpr73

No worries.

Okay, so if you were losing at 2300, then I'd start bulking closer to 2700, as you are. MFP just gives estimates, so a lot of this is trial and error. Your intake looks good, but your program could be better. If you're juicing, a body part split like that is fine. If you're not, I recommend taking a look at the established lifting programs stickied at the top of this forum and choose either a full body program or upper/lower split. To maximize gains naturally, it's better to work your muscles more frequently than once a week.

Thanks for the tips. What is the best way to ensure you don't look pudgy by the end of the building phase? I am fine with building nice and slow to minimize fat gains (I have no rush, honestly). It's not so much that I am afraid of cutting, but I don't like the thought of growing out of all of my clothing and putting on excessive fat (obviously unhealthy to have excess).
  • Davidsdottir
    edited March 2018

No worries.

Thanks for the tips. What is the best way to ensure you don't look pudgy by the end of the building phase? I am fine with building nice and slow to minimize fat gains (I have no rush, honestly). It's not so much that I am afraid of cutting, but I don't like the thought of growing out of all of my clothing and putting on excessive fat (obviously unhealthy to have excess).

Just gotta go slow, try to gain around 2 lbs a month. At your age, with proper lifting, you're in a prime position to maximize muscle gains. Don't be afraid of a little fluff.
  • dpr73

No worries.

Just gotta go slow, try to gain around 2 lbs a month. At your age, with proper lifting, you're in a prime position to maximize muscle gains. Don't be afraid of a little fluff.

Okay. Do I need to come to terms with growing out of all of my current pants (waist). Or should my waist not grow THAT much?
  • Davidsdottir

No worries.

Okay. Do I need to come to terms with growing out of all of my current pants (waist). Or should my waist not grow THAT much?

Four months in, I'm still in the same pants. Everyone gains a little differently, though. If you keep a slow rate of gain to minimize fat gains, you'll probably be fine.
  • dpr73

No worries.

Four months in, I'm still in the same pants. Everyone gains a little differently, though. If you keep a slow rate of gain to minimize fat gains, you'll probably be fine.

Okay. Thank you for your help! Back to my original post... On the Saturdays when you go out, do you try to be more cautious or try to, if anything, go over your surplus?
  • ricka1962
    ricka1962 Posts: 84 Member
    Another way to look at the clothing issue is if you are going to go from 138# to 155# you will likely need new clothes either way!!!!

5 days "might" also be to much. Overtraining will slow/kill gains. If your in the gym lifting for more than 60-90 min (60 preffered) 5 days per week, you may need more rest/recovery time to grow.
  • Davidsdottir

No worries.

Okay. Thank you for your help! Back to my original post... On the Saturdays when you go out, do you try to be more cautious or try to, if anything, go over your surplus?

A lot of times I'll preplan or estimate. In the end, one meal isn't going to make or break you. Just look at your weekly gains and adjust accordingly.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    You should be getting stronger especially at compound barbell lifts. If not, you're not eating enough.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    I am beginning my (probably 5th) attempt at bulking. I am currently 138, male, 5'7.5, 23 y/o. I go to the gym consistently 5 days a week. However, I have failed to add muscle the way I want because I always fear that the surplus will add too much fat to my frame. I like being lean but my goal is to be 155 and lean, which I know requires a surplus. I would say my biggest hang up is days where I cannot count (usually social activities). I am so accurate and disciplined counting everyday. However, I fear ruining my surplus on these days (about once a week) where I can't track a meal (e.g. going out to dinner with girlfriend or family). Obviously, you can't avoid life for bulking, so how do you all successfully ensure you stay on track and don't go too high on the surplus on these days out, while also not ending up in a deficit as well?

This is how I do it. I eat usually 3100 calories daily. I eat 2100 calories (all macros counted for) and leave myself 1000 calories for supper. I usually don't track what I eat for supper, because most of the time I eat near that number and for that one off day where I go out with friends for supper, that 1000 calories that I keep free for supper helps out. If I go over, it's not the end of the world, because one day eat of overeating isn't the end of the world and it will most likely result in water weight more than anything else. Of course if I really eat like a pig, the following day, I will just skip a meal or maybe two if it's that bad and things usually go back to normal after that (it is very rare for me to do this, it usually happens on days like Thanksgiving or xmas). Like I said this is what I do, there are more accurate ways of doing this, but I've been doing this for 5 years, so I have experience on my side on how to control one day of food binge.

As I've said before, I wouldn't stress about it unless it happens on a regular basis. I track my weight daily, but the important number for me is my average weight for the week and I compare with my previous average weeks. So one day of eating over isn't a big deal.