I have a herniated disc! How can build muscle?!

Options
Hi guys! I recently was diagnosed with a mild herniated disc. It hurts when I do certain movements like pelvic thrust. Therefore I cannot do heavy squatting, hip thrust etc. However, I go to the gym to gain weight and muscle. Especifically my glutes, legs and back. If anyone has similar experiences or know what exercises I can do please help!

Replies

• JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I wouldn't do a damn thing to be honest. Work with your doctor, do what they tell you, get into physical therapy as soon as you're able to.

I hurt my back about 9 years ago, (disc protrusion L4/L5) and I took some time off and just did the PT. If you rush it you're not going to heal well and risk additional injury.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I gained a bit of muscle with a herniated disk. Actually more than I ever have because I was used to power lifting. I ran a high volume bodybuilding program and just didn't squat or deadlift. There was already a ton of leg and back work in there. Best I've ever looked, was when I was injured.

I've been to PT. I was told no axial loading but anything that didn't hurt was a go.

I kept hip thrusting but it didn't hurt me. I had to make sure I was having a posterior pelvic tilt and it actually helped my back. But I'm not suggesting you do it...just saying, you can work around injury.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Go to physical therapist. Tell them your goals and listen to their advice.
  • jiggyj9
    jiggyj9 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I had C6-C7 herniated disc a couple of years ago and I couldn’t lift for months (about 6). The pain was crippling. It sucked to have to stay out of the gym, but I didn’t have much of a choice. I went to physical therapy twice a week and kept working with resistance bands for a while after that before I picked up any weight. Then once I was ready I started light and made sure my form was perfect before I began increasing weight.

I’m grateful for my PT experience because I learned a whole lot about my body, proper form, how I should be training, etc. I still continue with some of the stretches at home.

Don’t mess with this if you don’t want long term damage. See a professional, be patient, and listen to your body.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Make sure you can trust your PT and that they are versed in strength sports. I prefer to have a certified strength coach/PT. In addition to PT, research Dr. Stu McGill. He is THE man when it comes to spine/back health.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Lots of walking, especially if you are in too much discomfort for lifting. And a physio will have great tips and form corrections for you. I have had clients work on their lifting while excluding squats and dead’s and they maintained and possibly built up while healing from a disc injury. Most of the time they built great abs because they were bracing well and using great form to protect their backs while in the gym.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Lots of walking, especially if you are in too much discomfort for lifting. And a physio will have great tips and form corrections for you. I have had clients work on their lifting while excluding squats and dead’s and they maintained and possibly built up while healing from a disc injury. Most of the time they built great abs because they were bracing well and using great form to protect their backs while in the gym.

Again, get evaluated and see a physical therapist. Walking aggravates my degenerative disc. I have to cut back when I am in pain and take short walks of 5-10 minutes.
  • Mrsroach_cheri
    Mrsroach_cheri Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had a herniated disk on my lower back (l4-l5) and I have done two back surgeries, prior to the back surgeries I had an epidural shot. I was active, I did burpees, jumped etc.. but the pain the I had was horrible especially bieng that it was pinching my nerve, so I had constant 24/7 pain.... I say, work with your doctor and see what other ways you can build muscle. PT does help... good luck in your journey and don’t give up! Pain is horrible but giving up is the worst -
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Just about everybody has a herniated disk in their back and just about everybody has a torn meniscus in their knee.

The difference is how severe and if it is painful.

If a certain exercise gives you pain then don't do it. Substitute an exercise that is not painful.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Just about everybody has a herniated disk in their back and just about everybody has a torn meniscus in their knee.

The difference is how severe and if it is painful.

If a certain exercise gives you pain then don't do it. Substitute an exercise that is not painful.

Agreed 100.

Most people don't realize they have disc problems or tendons torn until a doctor orders a MRI and then blames them for the pain which isn't the cause always.

Work on form, do movements that doesn't make the pain worse and eventually the pain should work itself out.

If you can't squat, leg press might be a useful option for a short period.