Maintaining a diet while drinking wine

What are some thoughts or suggestions on how to still drink wine while trying to lose weight?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited March 2018
    You can enjoy your wine but log it and keep to within your calories.
    Personally I prefer to eat my calories than drink them but each to their own.
  • Arekha
    Arekha Posts: 45 Member
    I bank and pre log. Treat it like just another food. Key is staying within what you logged!
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    I treat them as food .... only drink at weekends anyway so need to decide if I want a couple of glasses of wine then I miss out on something else.

its not too hard though I bank calories during the week and save them for the weekend, that way come saturday I can have a meal and a dessert and wine and maybe a bit of cake during the day, and my weekly average is all good.

apart from this weekend where I royally screwed up .. but hey ... who knew that mayo and pesto are mostly pouring oil over your food .. tasty oil !
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Or one night, one bottle.

This...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I (mostly) choose wine over other treats. I don't eat sweets most days because I'd rather have wine with dinner than ice cream after.

Like all my diet rules, it's more of a guideline than rule. I do still eat sweets, just not as often as I drink wine.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    When I have a beer, I rarely drink, I will track alcohol as carbs or fat.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    I like a little wine with my dinner, so I plan it in.

When it comes to food in general, my exercise is the key to keeping me happy - workout enough, eat happy :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I drink wine fairly regularly. I just log it like anything else that contains calories.
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    I run for wine. Seriously, I do ~400cals on average per day in exercise and probably a quarter goes to wine in a week.

^^^This - me too!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 wrote: »

Just curious, why would you log it as fat?

From my understanding, alcohol acts like a carb and a fat. Carbs are listed as a macro, but alcohol generally not. As fats and carbs are almost interchangeable as far as tef, I will use what ever macro I have the most of. I could be wrong. If I am, please let me know.
  • psychod787
    It's a little long winded, but this is a video about it. https://youtu.be/Rx0ZwwzpuA4
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Just curious, why would you log it as fat?

From my understanding, alcohol acts like a carb and a fat. Carbs are listed as a macro, but alcohol generally not. As fats and carbs are almost interchangeable as far as tef, I will use what ever macro I have the most of. I could be wrong. If I am, please let me know.

What do you mean by "acts like a . . . fat"? Alcohol can't replace fat in the dietary sense -- fat plays a role in our bodies that alcohol cannot.