Tips and motivation for bulking

I am trying to bulk up. Anyone have tips and advice? My goal is to look good and feel good.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    We are going to need to know a bit more about you before we can help. What are your stats? (Height, weight, approximate bodyfat) Are you male or female? Are you new to lifting? When you say look good, can you be more specific?

You can also check you the stickies at the top of this forum for more information.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    Follow a well-structured lifting program and set your goal at TDEE +10-15%
  • gabrielb2018
    gabrielb2018 Posts: 13 Member
    I’m male 24 years old, just started metabolic conditioning on Jan 1st... I’m 6’2” 190 lbs and trying to get good abs and build a lot of upper body strength... not sure on the body fat.
  • erickirb
    I’m male 24 years old, just started metabolic conditioning on Jan 1st... I’m 6’2” 190 lbs and trying to get good abs and build a lot of upper body strength... not sure on the body fat.

If you are trying to bulk, your abs will actually become less visible. I bulk until I have no Abs, then cut until I have a six pack, rinse and repeat.

You may want to recomp (eat at maintenance, adequate protein, follow a good lifting program) to lose a little fat while gaining a little muscle.
  • gabrielb2018
    Are there any supplements that you would recommend taking besides protein and creatine? I also take a signature pre-workoutfrombodybuilding.com… Is there anything else I should be doing that will help?
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Are there any supplements that you would recommend taking besides protein and creatine? I also take a signature pre-workoutfrombodybuilding.com… Is there anything else I should be doing that will help?

I like ON Pro Gainer, instead of one scoop, I take a half of scoop twice a day, each whole scoop is 650 calories and that's with protein, carbs, and some fat. Def take a high quality whey protein shake post work out, and consider a Casein protein shake late at night around before bedtime. I also swear by Peanut Butter, about 95 cal in ONE tablespoon which is literally a spoonful of PB, so easy to chow down on. Whole milk is good to eat with cereal or oatmeal. Def eat steak for meats and SALMON very high in good fats so high calories per serving. Need any more tips, PM me, I have no problems helping, I was in the same boat and still sorta am, so I know what it's like. Good luck, stay focused!
  • Fabe1993
    Fabe1993 Posts: 18 Member
    Hi im bulking and have realised my stomach getting bloated cuz i eating lots of carbs i dont mind it but ive noticed i get back pain prob due to abs an other stuff any advice also i realise i dont really have big glutes so when i sqaut i feel stupid and never seem to ever see the butt getting bigger so i am not flat arsed i want something there what do i do my squat technique has also got worst and harder to do due to putting on weight i also find very hard to do heavier weights sqauting with good technuiqe any tips if anyone has patients to answer all that would be much appreciated thankyou so much
  • gabrielb2018
    Thanks for the advice!
  • gabrielb2018
    Is it a good idea to take a break with metabolic conditioning? Right now I am doing a 45 min class 6days/wk. should I do more heavy lifting in between? Any thoughts?
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 26 Member
    T-nation.com is a great site to learn about weight training/diet. Check it out.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Sometimes you have to eat some junk to hit your calorie goal. It won't kill you and is actually fun.
  • erickirb
    edited March 2018
    Seth1825 wrote: »

I like ON Pro Gainer, instead of one scoop, I take a half of scoop twice a day, each whole scoop is 650 calories and that's with protein, carbs, and some fat. Def take a high quality whey protein shake post work out, and consider a Casein protein shake late at night around before bedtime. I also swear by Peanut Butter, about 95 cal in ONE tablespoon which is literally a spoonful of PB, so easy to chow down on. Whole milk is good to eat with cereal or oatmeal. Def eat steak for meats and SALMON very high in good fats so high calories per serving. Need any more tips, PM me, I have no problems helping, I was in the same boat and still sorta am, so I know what it's like. Good luck, stay focused!

Nutrient timing isn't really that important. It is like focusing on what will make at most a 1-2% difference, compared to hitting overall macros and micros over the course of each day. Start with hitting your calorie, and protein targets, as 98-99% of your results will come from that coupled with a proper program.
  • erickirb
    Is it a good idea to take a break with metabolic conditioning? Right now I am doing a 45 min class 6days/wk. should I do more heavy lifting in between? Any thoughts?

I would drop the class alogether and get on a strutured lifting program.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    erickirb wrote: »
    Seth1825 wrote: »

Nutrient timing isn't really that important. It is like focusing on what will make at most a 1-2% difference, compared to hitting overall macros and micros over the course of each day. Start with hitting your calorie, and protein targets, as 98-99% of your results will come from that coupled with a proper program.

I agree with you. My response was just giving him an example of how I space out my calories, you're right it doesn't really matter when I take it, but it can become overwhelming to figure out how to fit all your calories in one day especially when while you're at work you don't have much time to eat much of your calories.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Bulking, I generally just eat anything and everything I want as long as I keep my protein high, like in the 200-225 range. It's a 5 month period where I indulge on my love of cakes.