Goal: Cutting weight and Bodybuilding?

Is there a forum centered around fat loss for bodybuilding. Getting lean while maintain muscle mass?

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Difficult to do both, very hard to add bulk (muscle) when in deficit.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    You can just use the bodybuilding section like you just did. Doesn't have to be gaining weight to be in here.
  • ssignorino
    ssignorino Posts: 2 Member
    I'm not taking about both, just in a deficit for fat loss while minimizing muscle loss.
  • J_Fairfax
    J_Fairfax Posts: 57 Member
    It takes a reasonable amount of time to loose muscle mass through atrophy,so just go slow and steady, work with a small deficit, keep your protein levels high and maintain training frequency and intensity.

You might loose a bit of strength on some lifts / workouts, but you wont shrink like a wool jumper in a boil wash.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Yup, this is a forum for the whole bulk/cut cycle. Welcome!
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2018
    Watch this:

Tips from Natural Champion John Hansen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzZpOG9V_I0

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    rsclause wrote: »
    Difficult to do both, very hard to add bulk (muscle) when in deficit.

Where did the OP say he was trying to gain muscle in a deficit?
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    ssignorino wrote: »
    I'm not taking about both, just in a deficit for fat loss while minimizing muscle loss.

There's no specific forum for that, but you'll find information across a variety of the forums here.

The video linked above is the best advice for diet. Then you just need a lifting routine.

I'd recommend a push/pull that keeps your MPS levels elevated for the major body parts 6 days a week and staying away from bro-split workouts. This will give you the best chance to hang on to your lean muscle while cutting, losing mostly fat instead.

http://www.nutritiontactics.com/measure-muscle-protein-synthesis/#6_How_to_optimize_muscle_protein_synthesis_exercise_guidelines
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    The key is to not go into a major deficit enough to lose muscle mass, but a deficit is necessary plus some cardio, and increase protein more than you would consume normally, the goal is to preserve the muscle you have while trying to cut down body fat/lose weight.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    The key is to not go into a major deficit enough to lose muscle mass, but a deficit is necessary plus some cardio, and increase protein more than you would consume normally, the goal is to preserve the muscle you have while trying to cut down body fat/lose weight.

Cardio is not a necessity, healthwise, no doubt cardio is a big benefit but for weight loss alone, it is not necessary. It's only a toll in your arsenal if you want to lose weight without decreasing too much calories.
  • se015
    fb47 wrote: »

Cardio is not a necessity, healthwise, no doubt cardio is a big benefit but for weight loss alone, it is not necessary. It's only a toll in your arsenal if you want to lose weight without decreasing too much calories.

ok, so you're saying diet and lifting alone will be enough to cut body fat? Also when I say cardio I mean like HIIT, boxing, etc...not long long distance running.
  • genchiyu
    genchiyu Posts: 244 Member
    Wish i can cut and bodybuild. I'm at the beginning stage. I need to lose the fat first, get lean/toned then build :(
  • se015
    genaquino wrote: »
    Wish i can cut and bodybuild. I'm at the beginning stage. I need to lose the fat first, get lean/toned then build :(

Definetly start a beginner lifting routine though that includes, Squat, dead lift, bench, shoulder press, and rows. bodybuilding.com has lots of good routines to try out.
  • fb47
    edited March 2018

ok, so you're saying diet and lifting alone will be enough to cut body fat? Also when I say cardio I mean like HIIT, boxing, etc...not long long distance running.

I lost 25 lbs with zero cardio on my last cut, so it's possible. All I did was lift and stay at a caloric deficit. I am not saying that's what everyone should do. I just hate cardio, I don't want to do cardio, therefore I will not do cardio. It still won't stop me from losing weight when I need to during my cutting phase. My metabolism is high, on a cut, I usually eat for 2400 calories which is not that bad.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Cardio = tool...mainly allowing for more food intake (although this can back fire for some people and induce hunger to a greater extent). With that said, I still do cardio for health reasons...and because it's the one muscle most bodybuilders neglect. Yeah, your ejection fraction and overall circulation is not going to be so great when you are 250lbs even @ 5% BF (one of the most common causes of death for pro level bodybuilders...sure steroids can contribute, but so does the sheer physics/stress of providing slabs of muscle with adequate blood flow).
  • se015

I lost 25 lbs with zero cardio on my last cut, so it's possible. All I did was lift and stay at a caloric deficit. I am not saying that's what everyone should do. I just hate cardio, I don't want to do cardio, therefore I will not do cardio. It still won't stop me from losing weight when I need to during my cutting phase. My metabolism is high, on a cut, I usually eat for 2400 calories which is not that bad.

I actually agree with you on that one, I hate cardio too. Is your lifting routine any different when you're cutting or do you keep it the same too?
  • fb47
    edited March 2018

I actually agree with you on that one, I hate cardio too. Is your lifting routine any different when you're cutting or do you keep it the same too?

My reps change, on a bulk, my compound lifts are at 6 reps, on a cut, they are at 4 reps. I also do 1 less set on some exercises and I go from 4 days of lifting to 3 per week. On a cut, you don't want to overdue it, you basically work for maintaining strength or increase it if your lucky.
  • se015

My reps change, on a bulk, my compound lifts are at 6 reps, on a cut, they are at 4 reps. I also do 1 less set on some exercises and I go from 4 days of lifting to 3 per week. On a cut, you don't want to overdue it, you basically work for maintaining strength or increase it if your lucky.

Oh okay, so when you decrease the reps, do you increase the weight, or keep weight the same?
  • fb47
    edited March 2018

Oh okay, so when you decrease the reps, do you increase the weight, or keep weight the same?

I hit 4 reps near failure (emphasis on the word "near"), so it means I would have to increase my weight.
  • se015

I hit 4 reps near failure (emphasis on the word "near"), so it means I would have to increase my weight.

oh okay gotya.