What happens if you don't take a day off between lifts?

What is the reasoning behind not lifting every day? Don't your muscles still develop?

Replies

• Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2018
    When you lift weights you get micro-tears in your muscles which need time to heal. Hence taking a day off.

Many times when you lift everyday, even though you train different muscle groups, you do also involve the muscles you trained the day before. If you train chest and back today, and then train shoulders and arms tomorrow, you will hit many of the same muscles again (deltoids, triceps, biceps). You also make inroads into your general recovery ability.

The freaky bodybuilders and powerlifters on the internet are taking large quantities of steroids which allow their bodies to heal very, very rapidly. This allows them to train 5-6, even 7 days a week and recover.

Unfortunately, unless you are taking those drugs, you won't recover as quickly. Thus, people find themselves not making progress, not making strength gains or gains in muscle size.

More is not necessarily better in weight training.

I do not recommend taking drugs.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Does this translate over into other exercises, as well? So, would it not be recommended for a person to jog/run everyday?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    iowalinda wrote: »
    Does this translate over into other exercises, as well? So, would it not be recommended for a person to jog/run everyday?

It depends on whether or not the right intensity and recovery has been factored into the program. If one is doing it willy-nilly upon their own whims, it's not a good idea. If one is following a properly/professionally designed program and is properly conditioned for it, it may be appropriate.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

It depends on whether or not the right intensity and recovery has been factored into the program. If one is doing it willy-nilly upon their own whims, it's not a good idea. If one is following a properly/professionally designed program and is properly conditioned for it, it may be appropriate.

I had to chuckle at "willy-nilly" :) That pretty much describes my exercise program, as I work out on my own without professional guidance :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I had to chuckle at "willy-nilly" :) That pretty much describes my exercise program, as I work out on my own without professional guidance :)

That doesn't have to be the case. Here is a great listing of proven programs. Pick one that works for you.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

• You need to give time for your muscles to breathe a little.