Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fast Food Addiction - Can Anyone Else Relate?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Speaking of fast foods ... I quit my daily visit to McDonalds at the beginning of this mfp experience in 2016. Back then, my lunch was a McChicken sandwich and a side salad. That's not bad, really, from a total calorie perspective. Last night I deliberately went and had a chicken sandwich and waffle fries, and then very deliberately bought and ate some nacho fries.

I don't get it. How can people claim to be addicted to that stuff?

Well, for OP, she's on a restrictive diet where she's treating food only as fuel (and not able to have much she considers tasty, I expect) after a period of time where she likely was using food for self comfort and eating in a really unrestrained way. So she has a bit of something for pleasure (in this case it happened to be fast food, but I'd bet it could have been tasty homemade food too), and all of a sudden all those old overwhelming desires for the foods she was missing came back.

I get it, but I don't think it has anything to do with a fast food addiction, and it's why I think especially a restrictive diet strategy for someone morbidly obese or with food issues MUST include some kind of counseling and strategies about how to deal with tasty food when you start adding it back.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you are saying food is not addiction you must not have an addiction to food, thus you don't understand.

Who is "you" in this sentence? It's hard to follow if you don't quote or otherwise be more specific about what you are responding to.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Oh, and just for your information, McDonald's fries have many ingredients you would never put in homemade fries . . .

“[McDONALD'S] FRENCH FRIES:
    Ingredients: Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Natural Beef Flavor [Wheat and Milk Derivatives]*, Citric Acid [Preservative]), Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (Maintain Color), Salt.

Prepared in Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil) with TBHQ and Citric Acid to preserve freshness of the oil and Dimethylpolysiloxane to reduce oil splatter when cooking.

CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK.

*Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients.”

https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/why-do-mcdonald-s-fries-have-nearly-20-ingredients

Do you think it's the wheat and milk ingredients that are driving the addiction?

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Oh, and just for your information, McDonald's fries have many ingredients you would never put in homemade fries . . .

“[McDONALD'S] FRENCH FRIES:
    Ingredients: Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Natural Beef Flavor [Wheat and Milk Derivatives]*, Citric Acid [Preservative]), Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (Maintain Color), Salt.

Prepared in Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil) with TBHQ and Citric Acid to preserve freshness of the oil and Dimethylpolysiloxane to reduce oil splatter when cooking.

CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK.

*Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients.”

https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/why-do-mcdonald-s-fries-have-nearly-20-ingredients

TIL: Two (three, in a way) = many. The only things I don't put in my homemade fries from that list is citric acid and sodium acid pyroposphate. Potatoes? Duh. Vegetable oil? Well, yeah. Salt? Another duh. And I don't use dextrose - I use table sugar, aka sucrose. Additionally, I sometimes add beef bouillon.