What are your short term/long term goals?

13»

Replies

• 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Goals:
    Swimming an avg of 7+hrs a week per week.

Lose weight. Be healthier. ( Happy to say that I am doing both, and I feel much better nowadays).

Get new swimsuit when I lose enough to need one. Lol

Someday, entering the local senior Olympics competition for swimming. (June). I still have much to learn before that can happen. Particularly doing a dive off a platform.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Just looked at a pic of the Tortoise Pose.

LOL!

Should call it the Pretzel Pose. Only women pictured doing it. A few men maybe could but they'd be the rare exception.

Doesn't look that hard

For those curious about the pose:
    qd5ial5b3xda.jpg

I can rest my head on the floor in a wide-legged forward fold, but it's that's very flat back and shoulders/chest on the floor that will take some time to work up to.
    Exactly. I can do the head on the floor in a wide legged forward fold fairly easy. Doing it with a flat back and with the arm bit would take more practice. That said I'm also fairly bendy, as my doctors like to say, and never lost the ability to stretch well past my toes when leaning forward in a not wide legged stance (I turn 31 in May for reference).
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    edited March 2018
    Short Term
    Drop enough weight to qualify as middleweight for a strongman contest at the end of March
    Log Press bodyweight

Long Term
    Load 300lb Atlas Stone
    OHP my bodyweight / 2 plates (the numbers are about the same at the moment)
    Deadlift 6 plates
    Squat 5 plates
    Bench 365 (is that 3.5 plates?)
    Continue maintaining the weight I've lost since 2009
    Avoid any major inuries
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Whoa! That tortoise pose is insane. I'd be concerned about getting stuck and unable to get out of it. (Not that I'd ever be able to get into it in the first place).

My goal for this year is to keep on enjoying my running and to get a new PB for my half-marathon time.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Now that I'm getting more into lifting, I sort of have this goal of totaling 1200 and running a sub 5 mile on the same day.
  • OceanAddict
    OceanAddict Posts: 55 Member
    Short / medium term: Gently progress in my strength training to reduce / prevent back pain. I sit at a desk all day, and have sciatica issues, so I've been gradually building back / core strength to mitigate this.

Long term: I want to be able to do unassisted pull-ups :) Even two would be fine!
  • lilac_bunny
    lilac_bunny Posts: 137 Member
    Current goals
    Run 5k (currently at 4.7k)
    Run 10k
    Do a beginner's triathlon
    Squat 100k (currently at 65k)
    Do press ups off the floor (currently on bar 5" off the ground)
    Do burpees off the floor (currently on 12" box)
    Do a pull up
    Be able to jump onto a box ( haven't started jumping yet)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    zeimmr1 wrote: »
    Short term : keep going to gym 4 times per week
    Long term : stay committed to my short term

Something like this. I get frustrated when I set goals that are based on outcomes and I can't achieve them for whatever reason. I'm happier when my goal is just to stick to the plan, whatever the plan happens to be at the moment.
  • faji2015
    faji2015 Posts: 93 Member
    To run continuously for 20 minutes on treadmill.
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    jlklem wrote: »
    Ride my bike 400 miles in 24 hours...

Do you have an event in mind?

National 24 hour challenge. It’s in Michigan. I did it last year but they closed to course for 4 hours due to severe storms...ended with 382 miles. 400 was the goal and still is.

My long term goal is to do 300 watts for 20 minutes at less than 60 kilograms body weight. 5 watts per kilo...it’s way harder than it seems.
  • Howieazb216
    Howieazb216 Posts: 13 Member
    Short term: get down to my height from hs and college: 170.

Long term: strengthen my shoulder to get back into that shape and maintain it. I wrestled and played football - ending up tearing my rotator cuff, the connections across my neck, and my bicep and tricep on one arm. 4 surgeries in 2 years left me sitting on my butt for a while.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Ride my bike 400 miles in 24 hours...

Do you have an event in mind?

National 24 hour challenge. It’s in Michigan. I did it last year but they closed to course for 4 hours due to severe storms...ended with 382 miles. 400 was the goal and still is.

My long term goal is to do 300 watts for 20 minutes at less than 60 kilograms body weight. 5 watts per kilo...it’s way harder than it seems.

:+1:

My husband and I did the UMCA 24-hour in both 2005 and 2006, and really enjoyed them. But I don't think that one is run anymore.

I'd like to do another one, but they don't have them over here in Australia.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    Short term: get through the Boston Marathon without injury or crash and burn on race day.

Long term: finish a marathon under 4 hours
  • HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 384 Member
    Short term:
    1) Be back to my lowest weight that I was last summer by a wedding this September (20 lbs to go).
    2) Start running outside. I’ve only every been a treadmill runner, and outside is KICKING MY BUTT.
    3) Finish 30DS (started day 1 this morning).
    4) Stay committed to my current exercise schedule.

Long term:
    1) Be at my ultimate goal weight by Christmas (28lbs to go).
    2) Eat more fruits and veggies.
    3) Run a majority of my 5K in July (cant run it all as there are muddy obstacles that will stop me).
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Short term: Half Marathon April 7th

Long term: After half, work on fat loss and recomp till about Sept/Oct. I have some shorter races that I do each summer as well.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Short term goal is to finish achilles rehab work in time for a half marathon race on April 28th. Longer term goal is to complete the Ironman race at Mont Tremblant on August 19th.
  • bambarby
    bambarby Posts: 10 Member
    Short term: 7-8% body fat
    Long term: double body weight bench press
  • Klmom123
    Klmom123 Posts: 91 Member
    Short term, lose 10-15 lbs. Long term; beat the effects of aging by staying in shape. Make my girls, my husband, and myself proud.
  • nhorton5
    nhorton5 Posts: 32 Member
    Short term: not to die during my first triathlon

Long term: train for and run my first marathon