Supplements for weight gain

Options
I have a very fast metabolism and a very low appetite. Sometimes I don't even feel like eating. I've just started taking apetamin and it has helped my appetite tremendously but the downside is it makes me very tired. I work 12 hour night shifts and that just won't cut it.

I also have mass gainer protein powder but any protein ive had taste so bad.
Anyone know of any supplements for weight gain?

So far I've only heard of creatine, but the weight is only water weight. Lysine, not sure how effective it is. Anybody can help me out?

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    liquids/liquid like foods/additives to foods can be helpful...high fat cottage cheese, whole yogurt, syrups, peanut/cashew/almond butter, whole eggs, EVOO (carbohydrates + fats, ideally, focus on bringing up kcals total). Best trial & error & stick with specific foods that agree with you GI-wise
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Eat more food.

You don't have a fast metabolism. You literally just don't ear enough food. If your body was burning insane amounts of energy then it would be craving insane amounts of energy to meet that demand.

I eat candy. Avocados. Chips. Ice cream. Whole fat milk. Nuts. Peanut butter. Steak. Pizza.

If you're not gaining weight. Eat anything and everything you can
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Calorie-dense foods are the best supplement for weight gain. If you're not gaining weight, you're not eating enough. That can quickly be remedied with a jar of peanut butter and a spoon.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    See this link for foods and advice:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

You really just have to be prepared.. eat around the clock.. always have food around or with you. Track your calories, preplan your day and follow through. Figure out which calorie dense foods are least filling for you and eat them often, drink your calories and make smoothies
  • LAPabon74
    LAPabon74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try Boost VHC its kinda of exspensive but it helps a lot
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    My favorite supplements when trying to build mass are little Debbie cakes, cupcakes, ice cream, cheese cake, cookies, etc. That is of course including getting in sufficient protein.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Avocado, Nuts, etc.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    My favorite supplements when trying to build mass are little Debbie cakes, cupcakes, ice cream, cheese cake, cookies, etc. That is of course including getting in sufficient protein.

Those are some of my favorite supplements as well.
  • daintea
    daintea Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I personally haven’t had much luck with supplements.. the best thing is just eat and drink a lot of calories.
    Have you tried boost or ensure? Ensure is 220 calories for only 8 fl oz and really quick to drink. It’s great cause you can drink one or even two when you don’t feel like eating.
    Eating out is expensive and high in fat but it will get you a lot of calories quick... a grande white mocha at starbucks is about 500 calories, lemon bread from there is like 400-500 as well, some sandwiches are as high as 600-700 calories. If you get a drink and food it’s about a thousand calories or almost half a days worth. They list their calories on the menu as well, and if you don’t mind gaining significant fat instead of/in addition to muscle if you’re lifting then other fast food like hamburgers and milkshakes is always a high-cal option
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    All you can eat wood fired stone oven pizza and pasta. I know tonight I’ll hit close to 2k calories in one meal.