Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Facts or Hacks?

psychod787
psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
edited March 2018 in Debate Club
Just thought this would make a good debate. I have noticed that in the last 10 years, there has been a rise of Naturalopath Doctors and Chiropractors who have been giving nutritional and activity advice. Do you think they have it together, or are just throwing around BS?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    My ex-wife was a Chiropractor. They go through the same initial schooling as any other Doctor, before studying for a specific field. I have also been through some of the same schooling. I think anyone that has taken the time to learn about the human body would have some insight as to it's care.

I'm not talking about fad diets and such, but rather the common sense upkeep.

What "initial schooling" are you talking about? The undergraduate degree MDs get prior to going to medical school and getting their actual medical training?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    My ex-wife was a Chiropractor. They go through the same initial schooling as any other Doctor, before studying for a specific field. I have also been through some of the same schooling. I think anyone that has taken the time to learn about the human body would have some insight as to it's care.

I'm not talking about fad diets and such, but rather the common sense upkeep.

What "initial schooling" are you talking about? The undergraduate degree MDs get prior to going to medical school and getting their actual medical training?

Just basic Physiology, Anatomy, Pathology etc.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    I'm on the side of SOME chiropractors being amazing and insightful and helpful and healthful.
    Others, however, are quaks out to get your money. It's well worth investing the time to find a good one.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    I think good info can be on both sides.....I think bad info can pass thtu both sides too.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    My sister is a naturopath and they do a lot of the same schooling that MDs do, the main difference is pharmacology (MD) and she did study a lot of nutrition. She follows IIFYM 80/20 and recommends that to her clients who seek her help with fat loss; after excluding medical reasons for their being overweight. I think like any field there are good and bad ones.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I go to integrated md myself. I like the fact that they will try other things before just putting you on meds. Now some of there stuff is just plain nutty, but from experience they tend to listen to me more. Now the PA they had recommended low carb Paleo for a guy who walks 7 miles a day average, does yoga, works around the house, and lifts heavy 4 days a week. Kinda nutty, but she did not last long there. My old md gave me sleeping pills a year ago when I had trouble sleeping. No help. When I went to the integrated md, she recommend melatonin and 5htp. That worked wonders. I just think people like Dr axe and Dr berg are just quacks.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    The chiros do know the limits, and if they can hype a harmless pill they will. It needn't even be harmless.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited March 2018
    lorrpb wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Bekah7482 wrote: »
    Why listen to those who have had extensive study on these topics when you have the internet experts on here? lol

Chiropractors and naturopaths have extensive study on nutrition?

Probably more than MDs do.

I don't think I'd go to an MD for nutrition and exercise advice either...

The chiropractor I go to knows jack *kitten* about nutrition...he knows about adjustments and needling...
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited March 2018
    I got this off of the job outlook handbook bureau of labor statistics, it's the educational requirements for chiropractors, I have no dog in this fight but thought it might be a good link to share.
    https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/chiropractors.htm#tab-4

and that got me curious so I found this Curriculum overview.

https://www.nwhealth.edu/college-of-chiropractic/curriculum-overview/
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I was Facebook friends with a woman who took ONE CLASS in nutrition yet dispensed such advice as part of her career coaching. I called her out on that and she blocked me.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,431 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If I want nutritional advice, I want to talk to a licensed dietitian who has an advanced degree in that area.

If I want activity advice I want to talk to a trainer/coach who also has an advanced degree in exercise science or kinesiology

I agree to a point.

I think in this day and age we all have to do our own research, hard as it can be sometimes and be as informed as possible.

I've gone to all the people you've mentioned above... some have been wonderful.... some were walk away and don't look back scary.