You will weigh _ in 5 weeks

Options
Does anyone else use the “you will weigh such and such in 5 weeks” when logging weight as motivation? Has it kept you on track? I’m keeping my calendar close to me so I can remember why I’m not eating my son’s chocolate donuts.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I think it's kinda gimmicky and way over simplistic. It assumes every day is going to be exactly like today...which it never will be...it also assumes that weight loss is linear, which it is not.
  • GCatz
    GCatz Posts: 9 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I know it’s not perfectly accurate, or maybe not even close to accurate. It’s a good visual for me to keep me on track and help me remember that weight loss takes time.

At least I hope it’s going to help keep me on track! :-)
  • neicey8375
    neicey8375 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use it as a motivation tool, but then it's frustrating when it's time to weigh in and you're up 2 lbs.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I find it pretty funny. Not once have I ever been CLOSE to what it says I will be "in 5 weeks". Of course, I'm also not the most accurate logger, lol. I tend to stop counting when I go over ;)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It's not accurate and not even helpfu
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Yes I love and use it and luckily for me I weigh less than what it says in five weeks. And yes the scale fluctuates on the way down, but I'm dropping the pounds and it definitely motivates me more than a lot of other things.

Gimmicky no just a fun tool. :)<3
  • sayitundefined
    sayitundefined Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think it is very helpful. I have hit my 5 week goal a few times. Like most have said, it's not the end all be all, but it is a useful tool. You can't measure goals if you never set them.

In my experience, it's just like the regular scale. It's a tool to keep pushing ahead, be consistent, and stay the course. Just treat it as such.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

I'm sure that's true for a lot of people. But it's a helpful tool for others.

The prediction is only an estimate of your progress if you continued to hit the same calories every day for the entire 5 weeks. I'm very accurate with logging and consistent in getting my calories right on goal every day. I've found that the prediction holds mostly true for me, personally. If your logging behavior changes from day to day or you aren't accurate or consistent, then the prediction will be totally meaningless.

I appreciate this feature. It's trying to show you that if you continued to do what you did on that day, every day for the next 5 weeks, this is where you are headed - good or bad. It doesn't mean it will happen, because many people aren't that consistent in being able to replicate similar behaviors daily for long periods of time. :)
  • Thepants22
    Thepants22 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like it. Even when I have date nights and go out to eat and load up on beers, it reminds me how much more I will weigh if I continue on that trend. STAY THE COURSE!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I don't take it as gospel, but it's a good visualization tool for me. I like it.
    \
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It keeps me motivated in the sense that i COULD lose that amount if I stayed on track. But that is an estimate, and with all things I try not to maintain true belief without the work behind it.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

"It is a poor craftsman that blames his tools."

It's only as accurate as the person using it. If you find its predictions not accurate, it's because YOUR habits are not predictable.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

"It is a poor craftsman that blames his tools."

It's only as accurate as the person using it. If you find its predictions not accurate, it's because YOUR habits are not predictable.

I was pretty predictable and very accurate in my logging...I found it to be more accurate early on...the further along I was dieting, the less accurate it was because I had a lot more fluctuations and stalls. Towards the end I should have still been losing about 1 Lb per week, but I was only losing about 1/2, if that.

I'd say my first 5 weeks was more than predicted...then for a couple of months it was pretty close...after that it was all over the place with the same habits and logging.
  • CaliforniaDreamN
    CaliforniaDreamN Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like it as well. It is a little bit of a motivator for me because I like visual things, but I also know it's just a tool and won't always be 100% accurate.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I usually use it, but only as a curiosity thing, and I rarely do it if I've gone over my calories. I never have checked to see how close I am at the end of 5 weeks.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Normally weight loss is not linear over a period of time. Weight will gain some small amount due to so many variables that it seems like you are doing everything but it happpens.

Look at a month to month comparison to see the end of month a loss. Then add 10 to 12 consecutively months to get a big total!