Any yogis around?

I have always heard stories of people losing weight by doing yoga alone. I was wondering if we have someone who has achieved results with yoga alone.

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Fat loss/weight loss is achieved through a caloric deficit, I doubt yoga or any exercise on its own (unless you are planning to run marathons every day) will create a big enough deficit from your maintenance cal allowance...to lose fat/weight...
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    I do daily yoga. But I also swim twice a week, and do aqua fit, squash and scuba once a week. I'm afraid to say that the weight loss is down to what I eat. However, I've never been stronger or leaner at this weight...
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Yoga is good for improving movement, and that's always a good thing. I'm sure some calories are burnt doing yoga but other commenters are correct, its calorie deficit and other exercise that's needed to lose weigh, yoga on its own wont do it. I did yoga on its own for a while and I noticed no drop in weight. I only noticed that when I watched what I ate and started building up to regular exercise.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Weight loss begins in the kitchen--weigh and measure everything you eat and drink. Yoga loosens me up and makes me feel great. Then I'm ready to do my "real" exercising and I get more out of it.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Yoga does not burn very many calories, either, sadly. It certainly feels like it does, though!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    CTcutie wrote: »
    Yoga does not burn very many calories, either, sadly. It certainly feels like it does, though!

There are many different kinds of yoga. While strength building poses may not burn calories in and if themselves, they do build muscle, which helps with overall look, and perhaps even a tiny metabolism boost, given a slightly higher lean body massage at a given weight.

Moving quickly through poses can burn a lot of calories, but commercial "fatburning yoga" DVDs tend to rush things too much to continue focus on breathing and form.

No matter how intense your yoga practice ends up being, you cannot ignore what you put in your body. There is a natural tendency to more than make up for and increase in energy expenditure if we aren't tracking. It is just too easy to say "I did an excellent yoga flow, so I am going to have this muffin." And it turns out you burned an extra 250 calories and consumed an extra 500.
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Ditto what everyone said. Abs are made in the kitchen. That said, by eating well and doing yoga regularly, I reduced my body fat % from 29% to 26%---in 16 months. Which, for my age, puts me in the "lean" category, just under "ideal," and far below "average." Yoga is an extremely good way to tone , but it doesn't burn a lot of calories. But combined with eating well, and at a deficit, you can definitely get great results.
  • DizzyJerry
    DizzyJerry Posts: 2 Member
    I do vinyasa yoga and it defo burns plenty of calories... hatha yoga prob burns less as described above by most...