Bacon, egg, cheese replacement

Options
selfiebrah
selfiebrah Posts: 17 Member
Every morning I eat a bacon egg and cheese English muffin from 7 eleven on my way to work. 300 calories, it's light and has a fair source of protein but I figured I can definitely do better with a home recipe plus Ill save money.

Fiber one 100 calorie English muffin.
1/2 of an egg scrambled.
Half slice of Kraft yellow American.
2 slices of Oscar Meyer bacon.

Results.

7 eleven-
300 calories. 28g carbs. 14g fat. 15g protein. ($2.50)

Mine-
255 calories. 24g carbs. 12.8g fat. 16.5g protein. (roughly $4.00 for 7 of them)

You don't have to eat stuff that tastes like garbage to lose weight. If you see something at taco bell that you like, read the ingredients, go home and make your own with substitutes I gaurentee it will taste better and be better for you by a lot.

Replies

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    selfiebrah wrote: »
    You don't have to eat stuff that tastes like garbage to lose weight. If you see something at taco bell that you like, read the ingredients, go home and make your own with substitutes I gaurentee it will taste better and be better for you by a lot.

Amen, brother. Great point!

• berky06
    berky06 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have started making my own breakfast sandwiches at home too! Saves me about 80 calories. I make the eggs up ahead of time on Sundays for the week. While the English muffin is toasting, zap the egg, cheese and Canadian (one slice) bacon in the microwave. Sometimes I switch the cheese to have a variety. I buy the thin slice cheese to cut down on calories.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Look into egg beaters! May save you some extra calories, too. Southwestern flavor ends up coming up amazing as an omelette, without needing to add any extras.

I miss their 3 cheese flavor.
  • Kohanai
    Kohanai Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    A coworker showed me the joys of microwave eggs. Since then, I've begun eating breakfast... and boy am I happier! 40 cal toast, an egg, sometimes cheese, sometimes egg with peppers, sometimes Canadian bacon, sometimes plain old baked bacon (when I have the gumption to make it)... And my wallet is happy too.
  • selfiebrah
    Options
    Yeah I keep telling myself I'll start to nuke my eggs but for some reason I just forget I can do it. Mostly because when I do make these types of things I make enough for the week and then nuke the whole thing before I eat it. Breakfast is definitely the easiest meal to "cook"
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    If you're using Kraft American, might as well switch to 2%, honestly can't tell the difference.

That being said, just to be a bit of a pain, most of the time those '100 calorie' muffins weigh more than what the package says, and bacon is never the right amount of calories either, so your muffin might still be 300 calories (but again, 7 eleven's muffin could well be 400 calories too).

You could make a batch of those and freeze too - sounds easier than having to make everything from scratch every morning (I'm too lazy to cook bacon most of the time). Although I don't know how good English muffins taste when you microwave them.

But I agree that most of the time, stuff you make at home will taste better and be cheaper too.
  • dart_si
    dart_si Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Home cooked is always better. That being said I'm glad I'm not on a weight loss diet. I'd starve if that was my breakfast.
  • dghelderman
    dghelderman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have 1cup of egg whites 200 calories, 2 slices of provolone 140 calories, and 3 slices of turkey breast 75 calories. with water and a can of pineapple juice 140 calories.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Agreed home made is always the tastiest and usually has less calories..plus we know what all goes into it, cos we've made it :smiley:
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    If you're using Kraft American, might as well switch to 2%, honestly can't tell the difference.

That being said, just to be a bit of a pain, most of the time those '100 calorie' muffins weigh more than what the package says, and bacon is never the right amount of calories either, so your muffin might still be 300 calories (but again, 7 eleven's muffin could well be 400 calories too).

You could make a batch of those and freeze too - sounds easier than having to make everything from scratch every morning (I'm too lazy to cook bacon most of the time). Although I don't know how good English muffins taste when you microwave them.

But I agree that most of the time, stuff you make at home will taste better and be cheaper too.

The same could be said for just about any food though. Any food could weigh more or less than the package states thus changing the calories of the serving.
  • selfiebrah
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Well I actually use a food scale to check all of my food I make at home to confirm accuracy. And yeah that's what I did I made 7 of them for the week so in the morning I toss it in the microwave for 1 min. Also I'm definitely all for using better cheese, but I have tons of the craft stuff cause I have 2 kids that use it for school lunches.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Every morning I eat a bacon egg and cheese English muffin from 7 eleven on my way to work. 300 calories, it's light and has a fair source of protein but I figured I can definitely do better with a home recipe plus Ill save money.

1/2 of an egg scrambled.

Results.

7 eleven-

Mine-
    255 calories. 24g carbs. 12.8g fat. 16.5g protein. (roughly $4.00 for 7 of them)

If it tasted like garbage why did you eat it every morning?
  • selfiebrah
    Options

1/2 of an egg scrambled.

Results.

7 eleven-

Mine-

If it tasted like garbage why did you eat it every morning?

Where in the world did I say it tasted like garbage? I said you don't have to eat stuff that tastes like garbage. In no form does that mean my breakfast tastes like garbage. Logic.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    You could also do burritos.

1 Flat Out Wrap- 90 cals
    1 egg - 80 cals
    low fat shredded cheese - 40
    2 slices turkey/ ham/ roast beef etc - 20
    a few spinach leaves, hot sauce and onion will add to the flavor
  • lqmckansas101
    lqmckansas101 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started pouring soy sauce into shot glasses and then downing them.

10 cups a day keeps the sodium levels high.