Starting running after snapping foot off!

Options
biggestrascal
biggestrascal Posts: 4 Member
edited March 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Want to start running but I snapped my foot of 18 months ago. All fixed now but have put ALOT of weight on and done NO cardio exercise since my accident. How can I start running and get my fitness back? Would love to complete a half marathon!

Replies

• Dreamcrusher16
    Dreamcrusher16 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Start walking for 30 minutes a day. Work your way up to 60 minutes a day. Then start a running program like C25K
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    As said above, start very slow with walking. I tore my achilles and was prescribed rehab (after being able to walk painlessly for at least 45 minutes) with first walking 10 minutes to warm up then run 1 minute and then walk 10 more minutes. If that went ok 2 days later I would walk 10 minutes, run 1 minute, walk 4 minutes, run 1 minute, then walk 10 minutes back. It continued to progress like this until I had 4 or 5 1 minute runs with 4 minutes walk between, then I would increase the runs to 2 minutes (one by one) until it was 4 minutes running 4 minutes walking. Then I would reduce the breaks until I could run all the way.

Remember to not progress to the next level unless you are pain free, but if you feel like it is really simple you might sometimes jump two levels ahead some times. Just be very careful if you do that and always keep a day of rest between the sessions.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    s l o w e l y ! ! ! !

it will take time, if you push too hard to quick you will know about it as it will hurt and then take longer to get back to strength

Walking is good as is short gentle runs as you get back to fitness, BUT, the times I have damaged the foot I have found doing a multiple of activities with gentle repetition to be exceptionally effective at re-hab, namely a rowing machine, the continual zero impace flexing of the ankle really really helped and did more in 2 weeks than I had seen in 2 months of walking. .... and cycling
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Want to start running but I snapped my foot of 18 months ago. All fixed now but have put ALOT of weight on and done NO cardio exercise since my accident. How can I start running and get my fitness back? Would love to complete a half marathon!

Personally I'd consult a physiotherapist, but I'd recommend a structured programme combining both running and resistance work. The key thing is repair to your existing injury and what constraints that places on you.