Noisy joints - any advice welcomed

If I do a heavy impact activity I find my joints make a popping sound next day but once the body warms up it disappears.

Im not sure if it normal and to ignore if there is no pain or if i should get it checked out.

Basically does anyone know what the joints sounds mean and should i be concerned and cycle instead of running etc ??

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Not sure but I do recommend paying attention to your running form. I would try to minimize your impact and get some shoes with some cushion and retire them at about 350 ~ 400 miles. I try to run as if I am running on eggs and trying not to break them.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Every medical professional I've talked to has said the noise alone isn't a cause for concern. If there's pain along with the noise, there could be something wrong.

For me, I'm dealing with a shoulder issue and there's some occasional clicking/"grinding" type noises as the muscles aren't stabilizing the joint properly. I'm avoiding certain motions for now until I'm stronger.

On the other hand, my ankles have ALWAYS popped and I have no issues with them.

Ask your doctor at your next checkup and see if they have other suggestions :)

~Lyssa
  • Saab_2015
    Saab_2015 Posts: 277 Member
    Ive been told that its just wear and tear so carry on by the doctor .... lets hope hes right.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    I have my own percussion section on some days LOL.

If your doctor says it's fine, and you're not in pain, then I wouldn't worry.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    My physiotherapist explained the popcorn noise this way. Over time the tendons become inflamed and as they heal those lovely rubber bands get brittle spots. These hardened bits of rubber band "pop" when stretched. He said that it is not a concern.