New to MyFitnessPal.com

Hello everyone! My name is Brandon and I joined the site five days ago. I joined because I have been wanting to gain weight for a couple years now and I'm more determined than ever at this moment. I am 5'10 and only 137 pounds. Though I am four pounds heavier than I was last year, I want to get up to 150 pounds by September 18 (my birthday) and 165 pounds by the end of the year.

I want to gain healthy weight and I'm not eating junk food, pop and fast food for the next couple months. I'm also working out three times a week and while I've only gained four pounds this year, I notice I have more muscle tone, so that's a plus.

So far, this site has been a great help and I plan to update every day. I've achieved my nutritional goals the past two days and just barely missed the first two days. Hopefully I can achieve my goals and get healthier.

Replies

• Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Hello everyone! My name is Brandon and I joined the site five days ago. I joined because I have been wanting to gain weight for a couple years now and I'm more determined than ever at this moment. I am 5'10 and only 137 pounds. Though I am four pounds heavier than I was last year, I want to get up to 150 pounds by September 18 (my birthday) and 165 pounds by the end of the year.

I want to gain healthy weight and I'm not eating junk food, pop and fast food for the next couple months. I'm also working out three times a week and while I've only gained four pounds this year, I notice I have more muscle tone, so that's a plus.

So far, this site has been a great help and I plan to update every day. I've achieved my nutritional goals the past two days and just barely missed the first two days. Hopefully I can achieve my goals and get healthier.

150 by September might not be doable. Same with 165 by the end of the year. I plan on it taking a good few months to get back to 150, and a lot longer to get to 165. I have very close currents stats to you. Half a pound a week is doable and reasonable by eating a 200-400 calorie surplus per day and working out 3 days a week. Faster than that, and you might gain too much fat for your liking. At the very most, people recommend 1 pound per week. But some of that will definitely be fat.

The exception to the speed limit I mentioned of 1/2-1 pound per week might be a "genetic freak" with a super fast metabolism who is eating a 1,000 calorie surplus. Don't count on being one of those guys; I don't even think they actually exist. The body can only process food so fast!

Gaining is exactly the same as weight loss...slow and steady wins the race.