Macros for Gaining LMM

Hey guys... I wanted to get some thoughts of different macros for building LMM. I would like to keep the fat down so we are talking about clean eating I would think. I was thinking about going with a 40/40/20 plan. Does anyone have any thoughts or input if this would be optimal for my goal... if not what might be a better plan.

Replies

• beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    40/40/20 is typically what I see recommended for lean mass. If you use the Scooby calculator, it auto adjusts to make sure that your getting between 0.5-1.0 g of protein per pound body weight. I think the fat is constant at 20% and the adjustment is made to the carbohydrates.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    I would suggest:
    A minimum of 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass (if you don't know your BF% then a minimum of 0.8 grams per lb should suffice);
    A minimum of 0.35 grams of fat per lb of body weight;
    with the remaining cals either more fat and protein, or all carbs if you wish.

So if you are aiming for 2000 cals/day and weigh 180lbs with 15% body fat that would give you
    a min protein intake of 153 grams (180*.85), which would be 31% of total cals (153*4/2000)
    a min fat intake of 63 grams (180*.35), which would be 28% (63*9/2000).
    So if these were your numbers I would set up with 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat, But use the protein and fat as a minimum goal. and carbs as a maximum

ETA: Unless you are eating above 2500 cals/day I would thing that 20% fat is too low, remember, protein and fat are essential, carbs are not.
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    you will need fat to synthesize testosterone and other hormones. especially saturated fats seem to impact your anabolic hormones positively. many Bodybuilders seem to prefer the so called "zone diet" which is 40c/30p/30f.

furthermore you minimize fat gains by having a good energy balance with only a small surplus and not so much by keeping fats low.

also clean eating /= low fat.

just my two cents.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    I would suggest:
    A minimum of 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass (if you don't know your BF% then a minimum of 0.8 grams per lb should suffice);
    A minimum of 0.35 grams of fat per lb of body weight;
    with the remaining cals either more fat and protein, or all carbs if you wish.

So if you are aiming for 2000 cals/day and weigh 180lbs with 15% body fat that would give you
    a min protein intake of 153 grams (180*.85), which would be 31% of total cals (153*4/2000)
    a min fat intake of 63 grams (180*.35), which would be 28% (63*9/2000).
    So if these were your numbers I would set up with 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat, But use the protein and fat as a minimum goal. and carbs as a maximum

ETA: Unless you are eating above 2500 cals/day I would thing that 20% fat is too low, remember, protein and fat are essential, carbs are not.

^this.

How much fat you gain along with the muscle is going to depend more on how many surplus calories you are eating not what your macros are or how "clean" you eat.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    I agree with Eric for the most part but I would up the fat intake to .45 to .55 LB per bodyweight. In the end the most important components of calories and the affect on body composition in order are:
    1. Total calories
    2. Marcos
    3. Meal timing.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    How much fat you gain along with the muscle is going to depend more on how many surplus calories you are eating not what your macros are or how "clean" you eat.

Truth. The size of your surplus, your training, your rest, and your genetics will determine the ratio at which you gain muscle.

Clean eating is just a bunch of silly nonsense.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member

Truth. The size of your surplus, your training, your rest, and your genetics will determine the ratio at which you gain muscle.

I disagree a as the amount of fat vs. muscle you gain will be impacted by macros. If you are eating at the same surplus doing the same workouts but have 10% vs. 40% protein, you will put on less fat and more muscle with the 40% protein, though the total weight gain will be pretty much the same (protein burns more cals than carbs to digest so there would be a very slight difference due to that, assuming fat % is the same in both cases and the variable is carbs). Now if you are talking 35% protein to 50% then maybe there wont be a difference. But not getting enough protein will have an impact on the type of weight you gain (provided you are lifting to gain)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    The amount of protein needed to gain is grossly overstated. The body is very protein efficient when in a surplus.

It is in a deficit where protein intake becomes extremely important.

Macros by % isn't a good way to look at things, absolute amount is far more important. Eat 0.8g protein per LB lbm and you're good to go, bulking or cutting. Better to err on the side of too high when cutting, when bulking if you can't hit that # without even trying, you suck at this whole eating thing.

Eating 30% protein when taking in 4K+ calories is a silly amount of protien, but it might be on the low side if you're eating under 2K cals.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member

I disagree a as the amount of fat vs. muscle you gain will be impacted by macros. If you are eating at the same surplus doing the same workouts but have 10% vs. 40% protein, you will put on less fat and more muscle with the 40% protein, though the total weight gain will be pretty much the same (protein burns more cals than carbs to digest so there would be a very slight difference due to that, assuming fat % is the same in both cases and the variable is carbs). Now if you are talking 35% protein to 50% then maybe there wont be a difference. But not getting enough protein will have an impact on the type of weight you gain (provided you are lifting to gain)

My quoted comment was after agreeing with your post about getting the minimum protein and fats. I can see how, taken away from that, it would be confused to mean the macros dont matter at all.
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Awesome!