Calories Burned

Options
I am trimg to figure out how many calories I should eat a day.....Can someone tell me how My finess Pal figures out calories burned?

Replies

• terri_journey
    terri_journey Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hi Mindy, MFP has a list of activities they already have in their system. All you do is look up an activity ,enter the # of min's you worked out and it gives you a #. A lot of people say it's a high estimate. Most people usually by a heartrate monitor to track activities accurately. Hope that helps. :smile:
  • Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I agree that MFP estimates re: calories burned seems very high. I always re-calculate.

I'm sure others can explain how they reach these estimates :) I've never bothered to try & work it out, I just know it's too high for what I've burned but it's no trouble to change it.

Good luck with your fitness journey! :smile:
  • MindyPaulman
    MindyPaulman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!!
  • torjunk12
    Options
    Using a HRM is one of the most accurate ways to record your calorie burn during exercise. Make sure it's one that asks for individual body information (age, height, weight) and use that, it will be far more accurate than the averages that MFP gives you, good luck!

You can also use a slew of online BMR calculators to figure out what calories you're burning through natural bodily processes, just google BMR calculator, there are varying kinds but most fall within 50-100 calories of each other.
  • Dargealing
    Dargealing Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    i don't trust all the MFP calculations. So I go to one of the other sights that asks you for your weight, age and so forth and figure it out and then add to my personal exercise list, then I know it is right or closer.. and HRM.. yep that is also a way to go and then compare with website calorie calculator, I am stil looking for a HRM that would be easy to set and read and understand without having to have a masters in gadgets and mathmatics.. lol any suggestions, and that won't cost me a whole days paycheck to pay for any suggestions are welcome..
  • torjunk12
    Options
    i don't trust all the MFP calculations. So I go to one of the other sights that asks you for your weight, age and so forth and figure it out and then add to my personal exercise list, then I know it is right or closer.. and HRM.. yep that is also a way to go and then compare with website calorie calculator, I am stil looking for a HRM that would be easy to set and read and understand without having to have a masters in gadgets and mathmatics.. lol any suggestions, and that won't cost me a whole days paycheck to pay for any suggestions are welcome..

I've been very happy with Polar brand for the past year or so. Intuitive and very easy to set up, and asks all the right questions. And they won't break the bank either which is always nice. If you don't mind the chest strap it's the way to go, imo. :smile: