Cardio or weights?

If I want to loose weight (I weigh 200lbs now) should I actively do cardio first to loose the inital fat and then build muscle by strength training or should I work the other way around weights first cardio second? What worked for you tell me your story?

Replies

• linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    I replied in another one of your post but I will answer this question as well. I started out at 285 on 1/20/13 and now I have lost a little more then 45 pounds. At first I only did at home DVD for my first 15 to 20 pounds. Then started going to the gym and doing cardio warm-up(10 minutes) then strength training(20 minutes) then a cardio finish (about 30 minutes).

I think strength training really has save me a lot! It helps you to look better and stay toned at least I thinks so!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I heard that strength training combined with adequate protein intake will cause you to retain more muscle mass as you lose the weight.

I was within earshot of myself at the time.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    If you want to lose weight, first and foremost you must be eating in a calorie deficit. Cardio can increase this deficit (and so can weight training in a smaller amount than cardio). Weight training in a deficit will preserve your lean body mass and keep you strong, and it also helps to increase your RMR which allows you to eat more food, even in a deficit.

I have had the most success doing a combination of BOTH weight training and cardio, as long as my nutrition was on point. It should also be noted that weight training alone will not make you gain muscle. If you are eating in a deficit, you will only gain a tiny bit of "newbie gains" but not an appreciable amount of muscle mass. You will only build muscle and gain weight if you are eating more than your TDEE.
  • bmskid
    bmskid Posts: 153 Member
    If you want to lose weight, first and foremost you must be eating in a calorie deficit. Cardio can increase this deficit (and so can weight training in a smaller amount than cardio). Weight training in a deficit will preserve your lean body mass and keep you strong, and it also helps to increase your RMR which allows you to eat more food, even in a deficit.

I have had the most success doing a combination of BOTH weight training and cardio, as long as my nutrition was on point. It should also be noted that weight training alone will not make you gain muscle. If you are eating in a deficit, you will only gain a tiny bit of "newbie gains" but not an appreciable amount of muscle mass. You will only build muscle and gain weight if you are eating more than your TDEE.

this!! Both. Doesn't have to be one or the other.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    You may be able to build a small amount of muscle (8 lbs or less) by starting weight training immediately along with your deficit diet. In some cases, the fat can be burned to provide energy for muscle synthesis, especially when you're new to resistance training or start a new program that's challenging. You do need adequate protein to support muscle growth.

Everyone is different though, and this doesn't work for many people. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work out for you, and the strength training simply allows you to keep the muscle you have and burn off the fat. I would look into strength training 3 days per week, and do 20-30 minutes of moderate intensity cardio immediately prior on two of those three days. Also, don't eat too much of a deficit...200 calories under maintenance seems to be a good starting point. Also, make sure you're eating back exercise calories. If you don't, your deficit will be too large, and fat loss can stall, resulting in muscle loss.

Good luck.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member

this!! Both. Doesn't have to be one or the other.

x3
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Do both. Full-body weightlifting, compound lifts, 3x/week 45 mins. Moderate cardio 2-3x/wk, 30 mins.
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Both. But like was already stated, you need to eat at a calorie deficit.

I go to the gym 3x a week. I do an hour long Zumba class (burns 700 calories) then right after that I do 30 mins of the Strong Lifts weightlifting program. I burn 1000 calories total. But I usually eat most of those calories back. :)

Ive lost 20 lbs in 2 months and starting to see a lot of muscle definition. So yes, do both!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Do both. Full-body weightlifting, compound lifts, 3x/week 45 mins. Moderate cardio 2-3x/wk, 30 mins.

This ^^ Bean knows her stuff :flowerforyou: