kid-friendly (and picky husband) low carb dinner recipes

Replies

• tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    I just started making pot roasts in the slow cooker. Also curry chicken with chicken thighs are so good. just drop that in a slow cooker with a couple boiled eggs and some Golden Curry mix.
  • monicapeterson54
    monicapeterson54 Posts: 34 Member
    I'm not sure low carb is a good idea for most children. I would discuss it with their pediatrician. Children need a lot of engery.

Just wanted to quote this because it's really really important.
    My daughter eats plenty of carbs throughout the day..... whole grain waffles with pb on them is almost a daily occurrence (it's her favorite, and i don't like fighting a toddler at 6am), she also eats plenty of whole grains, gets milk at most every meal, and eats a overall well balanced diet throughout the day. I do not believe that one meal without grains/high carbs per day is going to be detrimental to her health. She also typically has a snack before bed that typically consists of some type of fruit.
  • chrishunny
    chrishunny Posts: 1,855 Member
    I usually just avoid the carby side they have. I also make things I like/want and have leftovers as my dinner. I don't like a lot of low carb things they do (bone in chicken, roast, pork chops) or it would be easy that way too.

Things we all eat:

tacos or burgers, mine in a low carb (Tumaro's brand) wrap
    spinach chicken rollatini
    salad w/ grilled chicken breast
    white bean chicken chili
    fish
    frittata/crustless quiche
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    I'm not sure low carb is a good idea for most children. I would discuss it with their pediatrician. Children need a lot of engery.

Just wanted to quote this because it's really really important.

From what I understand, she's only talking about dinner, so I don't think one low carb meal for children (with extra carbs added only for them, as she and others have mentioned) will hurt them or even hinder them.
  • monicapeterson54
    monicapeterson54 Posts: 34 Member
    Also, when I make roasts (pork or beef) I try to get it plain so I know what is going into the seasoning. My husband and stepson are not big leftovers eaters so I take the plain roast, shred it and heat it up with barbecue sauce and put it on a bun for barbecue pork or barbecue beef sandwiches and I eat the plain roast.

For pork chops, I've really been liking using my crock pot and throwing in pork chops, a tablespoon of sour cream, some olive oil and then a packet of ranch seasoning. SO good. I'll eat that with veggies and then also have potatoes for the kids.
    loving this pork chop idea....
  • imju5tme
    imju5tme Posts: 85 Member
    Try salmon or tilapia (quite a few fish are low carb), as well, and there are a lot of different vegetables that can be done that shouldn't scare off either your husband or children (roast broccoli, spaghetti squash, kale, etc.). :)
  • UseToBeHot
    UseToBeHot Posts: 28 Member
    Men! Oh, and I love Larb.....?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Does anyone have kid friendly/picky husband friendly low carb recipes? My husband will not eat eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms, or olives. My child doesn't like tomato sauce. Any suggestions? I'm tired of making two seperate dinners every night!

Why force your restrictive diet on them?

Steak and fried sprouts

Larb

Tacos

Burgers

It's the only meal we all eat together. I'm assuming you've never worked full time and had to create meals for your family everynight. I am not "forcing my restrictive diet" on them, i'm simply looking for ways to incorporate my food choices with family friendly meals so that I am not having to do twice the work every night.

I do indeed work full time and cook nearly every night. Anyways, I'm assuming they don't cook their own meals for dinner, thus "'m simply looking for ways to incorporate my food choices with family friendly meals" is indeed forcing your diet choices upon them
    Both of your posts have been snarky and rude. Why bother taking the time to read a post if you have no real intrest in being helpful?

Did I not offer suggestions to your question?

BTW, best of luck in your chemical avoidance goals of 2013 and beyond

"trying to live as natural and chemical free as possible!"
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Does anyone have kid friendly/picky husband friendly low carb recipes? My husband will not eat eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms, or olives. My child doesn't like tomato sauce. Any suggestions? I'm tired of making two seperate dinners every night!

Steak and fried sprouts

Larb

Tacos

Burgers

It's the only meal we all eat together. I'm assuming you've never worked full time and had to create meals for your family everynight. I am not "forcing my restrictive diet" on them, i'm simply looking for ways to incorporate my food choices with family friendly meals so that I am not having to do twice the work every night.

I do indeed work full time and cook nearly every night. Anyways, I'm assuming they don't cook their own meals for dinner, thus "'m simply looking for ways to incorporate my food choices with family friendly meals" is indeed forcing your diet choices upon them
    Both of your posts have been snarky and rude. Why bother taking the time to read a post if you have no real intrest in being helpful?

Did I not offer suggestions to your question?

BTW, best of luck in your chemical avoidance goals of 2013 and beyond

"trying to live as natural and chemical free as possible!"
    Just like you she's "Doing things her way"
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Steak or salmon with asparagus is my sons favorite. We put Montreal seasoning on the steak and use Tony's Cajun seasoning for the salmon. The asparagus has oil, salt, pepper and then we play around with other spices like paprika, lawrys, and garlic. I do tacos without the shell but with tons of spinach, or fajitas without the tortilla. I am not low carb but find that I would rather eat my calories in meat than in tortillas and shells.
  • You could make chili with cheese and not eat the tortillas and kid and husband can have them separated.

Or chicken skewers and you can have salad or grilled veggies and make fries/baked potatoes for kids and husband. I usually have half baked potato and husband have big one or 2 with butter and cheddar. So mine is more light but half a medium potato with skin is not so huge in carb.

Pasta is tricky because you cant run away from it, but you can make pasta with grilled shrimps for them and have the grilled shrimps for you with some salad or veggies or baked potato, quinoa, so on. You can make quinoa for 3 days (put in fridge in an air sealed container).

Another easy good thing is stuffed red bell peppers with minced meat. Is low carb and most people like it :)

Thats what we do with my family. Keep the meat veggies the same for you but create a way of vary the side dish for husband and you. I think that is the easiest I found.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member

Steak and fried sprouts

Larb

Tacos

Burgers

MelRC117 Joined Jan 2013 November 04, 2013 8:20 am

Acg67 is plenty helpful. I am proof of his intentions, always within the confines of ridding one's life of restrictions, tantamount to harbouring food fear mongering outside the parameters of those who should for health reasons. *SideSteel and sarauk4sf inc*
    bcattoes Joined Mar 2011November 04, 2013 8:15 am
    Why not just make carbs on the side for your husband and children? Make a side of brown rice, quinoa, pasta or serve wholemeal bread with the meal for them and you can skip that item?

In this open forum, regular veteran posters will highlight and will advocate their concerns for the sake of the children.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member

What are your macro splits and calorie limits for dinner? Would be easier to suggest dishes with recipes that way .... Low carb usually means a higher protein to carb ratio. Is that the direction you've decided on, for you and your family?
  • I need some of these for me! I need more variety! :)
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Pretty much anything my husband and I make for dinner ends up on/with a salad for me, but with carbs/extras for them/kids.

Chicken/shrimp stir-fry with veggies - they get rice, I just eat more of the veggies.

Tacos/fajitas, like someone else mentioned- chicken, turkey, etc - I get meat, salsa, veggies, maybe some fat free cheese- they get the full works with tortillas/chips. I often sub sour cream for whipped cottage cheese, too.

Fish- I bake mine with little seasonings, but will make them home-made fish sticks with panko or bread crumbs. Ditto for chicken sometimes.

Breakfast-for-dinner: I get egg white omelets (maybe one yolk) they get full eggs (and pancakes!)

Pasta is always served with a protein now, and I just skip the pasta. We've been doing a lot with chicken/turkey sausages- there are a lot of flavors out there for mixing with rice or pasta.

Soups- we often choose a lower-calorie soup, but they get crackers, cheese, bread, I don't.

We also sometimes make the Stauffers frozen mac-and-cheese meals along with dinners and use those a side dish for the kiddos. They're in the micro while other stuff is cooking, and are sort of a fall-back if they might not be interested the entree.

Try Skinnytaste.com too- lots of great recipes, and ones that can be "deconstructed" a bit to be interchangable. Instead of rolling up chicken with zuccini, use broccoli or spinach.
  • ramsx1991
    ramsx1991 Posts: 142 Member
    I am in the exact same situation as you, my hubby doesn't eat anything you listed either. I just substitute one food for me. For example... I will make pasta for them and squash for me. Rice for them, quinoa/beans for me. Wraps for them/lettuce for me. Bread for them/lettuce for me... etc. etc.

This way I am not making an entirely separate meal, just one different ingredient pretty much. Salads and soups are also good. I will put potato and pasta in theirs but not mine. Salads, I will put dressing on theirs and just lemon juice on mine... Those kind of things.
  • phoebejeeby
    phoebejeeby Posts: 62 Member
    My go-to meals are:

1. Tacos with extra lean ground chicken. (or chicken breast) I don't eat the cheese or taco shell. I add spinach and diced tomatoes, salsa, avocado....and have a taco salad. Very tasty.

2. Homemade Chili with garlic bread ( i skip the garlic bread) You can squeeze lots of veggies into chili

3. Any broth based soup with toast ( no noodles. Stick with meat, veggies. I add a bit of potatoes to make it more hearty) again, I skip the bread.

4. Spaghetti. Homemade sauce with lean ground chicken, portabella mushrooms, sweet onions. (You said they won't eat tomatoes, but a lot of people will eat tomato sauce). I skip the pasta and replace with lentils....its really good! Or add spinach.

5. Ground chicken burgers. My boyfriend and son actually prefer these to ground beef burger. I add ground mustard, montreal steak spice and 2 tbsp ketchup. Dice up the burger pattie (I eat two, 1/4 patties) add diced tomatoes, salsa, spinach, mustard.....whatever you like. Its a burger salad.

hope that helps. you can adapt lots of meals. get creative!
  • bettb1
    bettb1 Posts: 1 Member
    I've used quite a few low carb recipes from this site:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/recipereview/
  • trimminit
    trimminit Posts: 191 Member
    I understand the difficulty trying to make two separate meals. And after a day of work you don't need to have to use extra brain power to figure it out!

I like to make homemade spicy spinach dip (not really a meal, and I usually serve it with zucchini chips which I know your husband won't eat, but I thought I'd throw it out there - I often make it as a side to go along with chicken or fish), chili with French style green beans, chicken and cauliflower soup (the chicken is shredded and tender, and the soup is made with Laughing Cow wedges-you don't really taste the cauliflower), chicken and chorizo "stuffing", stir fry with bean sprouts as the noodles. Of course, there's always cauli pizzas, but they're kind of a pain sometimes. You could make the crusts on the weekend and freeze them.
    Most of the meals above are ideas I've come up with messing around in the kitchen. Hopefully you'll get some good ideas here and maybe create some by accident in your kitchen!

I know it's tough to work full-time, and then come home and cook, let alone cook two meals.