How to write a pseudoscience book

Acg67
Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
Read the whole thing at the link
My dream is to write a book on health that will sell millions of copies. I´ll introduce a great new dietary solution. I already have strategic plan. Firstly, I am going to select a target group. Obviously it has to be a large group of people. I am going to write exactly what my target audience wants to hear. I am pretty sure what it is. I am going to refer to the scientific literature whenever I can. This will be expected of a doctor. However, I´ll only cite papers that support my dietary solution. Otherwise, I might confuse my readers. I´ll definitively challenge main stream medicine and official guidelines because I know my readers will love that.

My target will probably be Paleo and low carb enthusiasts, mainly because this is a huge and rapidly growing group. Furthermore, these people are often very interested in nutrition and how to improve health. I know that for a fact, because I often consider my self to be among them. There are certain issues I know my readers will love to hear. I´ll tell them that many of the things government and official guidelines say about nutrition is wrong. I´ll tell them that eating lots of fat is good and will protect them from getting dreadful diseases like heart disease, depression, Parkinson´s disease and Alzheimer´s. I´ll tell them that if they eat carbs, grains in particular and even fruit, their brains will get sick. I´ll tell them that gluten is dreadful. I´ll tell them that cholesterol is good and that statins (cholesterol lowering pills) are bad. I am going to hire great marketing experts. My book will be a game changer, a sure best seller.

Carbohydrate restriction has now been accepted as an effective method to lose weight among obese individuals. A year ago I wrote a blog article pointing out several health benefits of such a diet. In my dream book I will take this a step further. I will suggest that eating lots of fats and very few carbs will protect your brain. Although there are no studies available to confirm this, I will be able to create an angle to prove my point.

I am going to put a lot of weight on the cholesterol issue. I have to convince my readers that cholesterol does not cause any diseases. Indeed I want to tell them that cholesterol is good. My arguments will be based on the important role cholesterol plays in our bodies. My main conclusion will be that eating fats, including cholesterol will prevent brain disease. We recently learned that statins increase the risk of diabetes by approximately 9 percent. Here, I can cite recent studies and more importantly, I can have an attack on the pharmaceutical industry which my readers will love.

I am going to explain what happens if you restrict your cholesterol intake. Then the body sends out an alarm to indicate crisis. The liver starts to use carbohydrates from our diet to produce an excess supply of cholesterol. In a recently published book (Perlmutter D, Grain Brain, p.99) this was called a Molotov cocktail in the works. When you consume high amounts of carbs, and avoid eating cholesterol, you force the liver to over-produce cholesterol, which is really bad. Okay, I´m suggesting that cholesterol is bad for the body if you don´t eat it, but good for your body when you consume lots of it. So cholesterol is good and bad….. ough…

Of course this does not make sense, but the only solution to stop this terrible and uncontrolled overproduction of cholesterol is to back of the carbs and eat more cholesterol (Perlmutter D, Grain brain, p.99). Obviously, I am not going to cite any scientific studies in relation to these magical explanations.

Studies have indicated that there is an inverse relationship between blood levels of total cholesterol and depression. This implies that people with depression generally have lower cholesterol levels than those without depression. I will use this to convince my readers that low cholesterol causes depression. Of course they will know that correlation does not imply causation, but I believe they will accept my claims because it fits into our general concept.

http://www.docsopinion.com/2013/11/10/recipe-best-selling-health-book/

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    In
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    x2msbO9.gif
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    in early!
  • juleaj
    juleaj Posts: 2 Member
    This gives me hope.
  • hmmmm interesting. looking forward to more information...
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    is the fat is bad bandwagon over? Remember the days of fat makes you fat and dean ornish?
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    tumblr_m4lfjvaT1e1rw6n2ao1_500.gif
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    I thought I was going to open the link and see Dr. Oz's newest book there.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Sounds about right.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    I can add to this... Make as many health claims as you can that dont have direct research disproving them. That way, even people who don't agree wont be able to disprove you since no study has been done on the subject. Furthermore, you should try and pull as many of these health claims as you can from other books so you can cite references. While you wont be citing peer reviewed studies, people will still gobble it up since you've proven that this isn't just your opinion.

Such a book should lack in actual numbers and results of studies because the target audience is not interested in textbook style data. The book should have stupid recipes and suggested diet plans. It should be as controversial as possible while having as much plausible deniability as possible. It most definitely needs a cool name ( Modern Minimalism?). Nuff said.. I dont need you people stealing my book idea...

One more thing... You can;t tell your groupies that you're an illegetimate fitness messiah and that you practice nothing of what you preach. Just kidding! Nobody gives a flying F and they will still gobble it up. Thats a pun<<.

ETA:

If you're really thinking you make proprietary vitamin bleands and use all sorts of fancy words to describe them. They should actually contain good supplements surrounded my mythical garbage that is unimportant. These supplements will keep you padded from the losses due to piracy of your book. The book needs to somehow convince them that your supplements are superior and are crucial to success.