Alcohol and weight gain

While I agree 100% with calories in vs. calories out philosophy, I can't ignore the the fact that most of you would probably agree that calories from alcohol do not count in this equation. I am on the fence and I would like some scientific evidence to support one opinion or the other. If "all calories are the same", then why would 400 calories from vodka be any different than 400 calories from twinkies. If all your macros are met by food, and you are lookng for a 300 calorie surplus for weight gain, can that surplus be attained by alcohol? And if not, why not? The arguement creates a slippery slope fo those of us who believe in the IIMYM philosophy, because, if we say that alcohol calories are not the same, how do we argue that a twinkie is the same as quinoa and veggies, again with the assumption that calories are counted and macros met?

Replies

• j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    You didn't specify what kind of weight you want to gain (muscle, fat). So yes, alcohol will make you gain weight. If you are talking about muscle though, I don't think alcohol is the weight gainer of choice, simply because it has no nutritional value.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    You didn't specify what kind of weight you want to gain (muscle, fat). So yes, alcohol will make you gain weight. If you are talking about muscle though, I don't think alcohol is the weight gainer of choice, simply because it has no nutritional value.

Let's say he wants to gain muscle. Say he's 150 lbs and eats 150g of protein and carbs, and 100g of fat per day. Now he needs another 600 calories for a modest weight increase. Why not take 6 shots of vodka to meet that?
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    While I agree 100% with calories in vs. calories out philosophy, I can't ignore the the fact that most of you would probably agree that calories from alcohol do not count in this equation. I am on the fence and I would like some scientific evidence to support one opinion or the other. If "all calories are the same", then why would 400 calories from vodka be any different than 400 calories from twinkies. If all your macros are met by food, and you are lookng for a 300 calorie surplus for weight gain, can that surplus be attained by alcohol? And if not, why not? The arguement creates a slippery slope fo those of us who believe in the IIMYM philosophy, because, if we say that alcohol calories are not the same, how do we argue that a twinkie is the same as quinoa and veggies, again with the assumption that calories are counted and macros met?

Why do you assume that? A calorie is a unit of energy.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    I count all calories as calories, regardless. That is alcohol included.

Aren't beer bellies a real thing? LOL :\

I have no research to back up anything lol. I love to drink but when I moved out on my own, I drank quite a bit and packed on about 5-7lbs. I didn't eat perfectly, but I didn't eat any better or worse than I did before. I like alcohol so if I am going to drink I make a point to either fit it in, or work it off :)

But i'm just speaking from what I think happened to me. I believe you can drink your calories too :)
  • xxmarysmxx
    xxmarysmxx Posts: 199 Member
    I think about a glass of wine and gain 3 pounds. It's very sad. :sad:
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member

Let's say he wants to gain muscle. Say he's 150 lbs and eats 150g of protein and carbs, and 100g of fat per day. Now he needs another 600 calories for a modest weight increase. Why not take 6 shots of vodka to meet that?

Alcohol is catabolic. Really though, I drink pretty regularly myself :drinker: :drinker:
  • krabbykramp
    krabbykramp Posts: 3 Member
    What I have also noticed is that, although something like vodka has calories, it has 0 g fat, 0 g carbs, and 0 g protein. So, my question is, where do these calories go?!
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member

Exactly.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    What I have also noticed is that, although something like vodka has calories, it has 0 g fat, 0 g carbs, and 0 g protein. So, my question is, where do these calories go?!

Your body converts it to sugar, a form of glucose. Then it's stored as fat unless you can burn it off as fast as you drink it.
  • What I have also noticed is that, although something like vodka has calories, it has 0 g fat, 0 g carbs, and 0 g protein. So, my question is, where do these calories go?!

In my case, usually straight to my butt. :-p
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    If macros are met, then I'm assuming this includes protein so it won't matter so much if he wants to gain muscle or fat. If the macros are met then there is efficient amounts of nutrients to promote healthy muscular growth. Alcohol, lets assume beer as it's the easiest, is usually full of carbohydrates. The is simply a unit of energy or 4 calories per 1 carbohydrate to be more exact. This will be used up in the body as additional energy and allow other nutrients to be used for muscular or fat growth depending on the goals. When eating at maintenance, you are feeding your body just enough to survive on a level playing field. If you increase calories, then you allow calories to either turn to fat or muscle (usually a bit of both). Given that macro's are already accounted for, it wouldn't matter so much where the excess came from. However, you'd probably see better results from a more nutrient enriched food/beverage.

Just my 2 cents
  • While I agree 100% with calories in vs. calories out philosophy, I can't ignore the the fact that most of you would probably agree that calories from alcohol do not count in this equation. I am on the fence and I would like some scientific evidence to support one opinion or the other. If "all calories are the same", then why would 400 calories from vodka be any different than 400 calories from twinkies. If all your macros are met by food, and you are lookng for a 300 calorie surplus for weight gain, can that surplus be attained by alcohol? And if not, why not? The arguement creates a slippery slope fo those of us who believe in the IIMYM philosophy, because, if we say that alcohol calories are not the same, how do we argue that a twinkie is the same as quinoa and veggies, again with the assumption that calories are counted and macros met?
  • You cant discount alcohol as calories, i have beer and i count it. Its mostly carbs
  • TheFangsKittie
    TheFangsKittie Posts: 117 Member
    It's not the alcohol that's my problem... it's the boat load of junk food that is pulled into it's gravitational field and ends up in my belleh when I drink it
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member

Your body converts it to sugar, a form of glucose. Then it's stored as fat unless you can burn it off as fast as you drink it.
    Alcohol is 7 calories per gram.
    It has no nutritional value to the body, in fact your body tries to get rid of it (rather than storing it as energy for later use like carbohydrates) as soon as possible (this is the reason why you get dehydrated when drinking).
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    So I'm not quoting this as gospel, but I have read/heard that alcohol slows down your metabolism for up to four days. I hesitate to post this, because the crazies may come out and slice & dice me for it, but I read it somewhere! Take it however you want to. That being said, I LOVE me a good glass of booze! :drinker:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member

Alcohol is 7 calories per gram.
    It has no nutritional value to the body, in fact your body tries to get rid of it (rather than storing it as energy for later use like carbohydrates) as soon as possible (this is the reason why you get dehydrated when drinking).
    Not to mention that alcohol inhibits any fat loss until it's expelled or used up by the body first.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member

Just like any other carbohydrate.

ETA: No, actually that is wrong. It hangs around until you burn it off, postponing fat burning.

Meh. I lose weight just fine whilst partaking moderately. :drinker:
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    The real question her is:

Has anyone ever bulked up on binge drinking alcohol and successfully built muscle and strength?
  • Hi, I just came back on here and was wondering about cabernet. When I lost 30...I ate low carbs, low fat and high protein and had lots o wine only on Friday night and worked out 6 to 7 days a week. Once I added Saturday for wine and cut wo to 5 days, I just hit a plateau and have remained here since June. Better than gaining though. So now I am doing an alterative plan to ideal protein. I have been on it 2 days and I have consumed 790 calories yesterday and today. I worked out today and burned 402 calories. So Fp states that if I would eat this way for 5 weeks, I would lose 35! However; I do not think I can do this that long. This program puts your body into ketosis and it will burn your fat. I have 2 parties next week so I will have my wine and then back on again. So basically, if you keep everything in moderation and exercise at least 30-45 mins a day, you can lose. It is so hard to stay focused though. I cannot drink Vodka (don't like it) I only like cabernet. do you think wine would be different than vodka to the body? Too much sugar at once? Thoughts?