Alcohol and weight gain

Replies

• SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11584159

BACKGROUND:
    Acute and chronic alcohol intoxication decreases skeletal muscle protein synthesis under in vivo conditions. We investigated whether ethanol (EtOH) and its major metabolites, acetaldehyde and acetate, can directly modulate protein balance under in vitro conditions.

METHODS:
    Human myocytes were incubated with different doses of EtOH for varying periods of time (i.e., 4-72 hr). Alternatively, cells were incubated with acetaldehyde, acetate, insulin, insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I), or with a combination of EtOH plus insulin or IGF-I. Rates of protein synthesis or degradation were determined by 35S-methionine/cysteine incorporation into or release from cellular protein.

RESULTS:
    A significant, 15% to 20%, decrease in basal protein synthesis was observed after 24 hr, but not at earlier time points, in response to 80 mM EtOH. Incubation of myocytes for 72 hr decreased synthesis in cells incubated with EtOH ranging between 60 and 120 mM. The ability of IGF-I or insulin to stimulate protein synthesis was impaired by 30% and 60%, respectively, in cells incubated with 80 mM EtOH for 72 hr. Exposure of cells to 200 microM acetaldehyde or 5 mM Na-acetate also decreased basal protein synthesis. In contrast, neither EtOH, acetaldehyde, nor acetate altered the basal rate of protein degradation. However, EtOH completely impaired the ability of insulin and IGF-I to inhibit proteolysis. Finally, EtOH did not impair IGF-I receptor autophosphorylation, but inhibited the ability of insulin to phosphorylate its own receptor. EtOH also did not alter the number of insulin or IGF-I receptors or the formation of insulin/IGF-I hybrid receptors.

CONCLUSIONS:
    We have demonstrated that EtOH can directly inhibit muscle protein synthesis under in vitro conditions. Neither EtOH nor its metabolites altered basal protein degradation, although EtOH did compromise the ability of both insulin and IGF-I to slow proteolysis. This impairment seems to be mediated by different defects in signal transduction.

EtOH (Ethanol) is what caused it..not "dehydration" LOL. You get an A for effort though

Read the study you just posted.

That is do do with the effects on protein synthesisation in vitro. The human body is not in vitro, it is rather in vivo and one should really not attempt to link the two.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member

BACKGROUND:
    Acute and chronic alcohol intoxication decreases skeletal muscle protein synthesis under in vivo conditions. We investigated whether ethanol (EtOH) and its major metabolites, acetaldehyde and acetate, can directly modulate protein balance under in vitro conditions.

METHODS:
    Human myocytes were incubated with different doses of EtOH for varying periods of time (i.e., 4-72 hr). Alternatively, cells were incubated with acetaldehyde, acetate, insulin, insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I), or with a combination of EtOH plus insulin or IGF-I. Rates of protein synthesis or degradation were determined by 35S-methionine/cysteine incorporation into or release from cellular protein.

RESULTS:
    A significant, 15% to 20%, decrease in basal protein synthesis was observed after 24 hr, but not at earlier time points, in response to 80 mM EtOH. Incubation of myocytes for 72 hr decreased synthesis in cells incubated with EtOH ranging between 60 and 120 mM. The ability of IGF-I or insulin to stimulate protein synthesis was impaired by 30% and 60%, respectively, in cells incubated with 80 mM EtOH for 72 hr. Exposure of cells to 200 microM acetaldehyde or 5 mM Na-acetate also decreased basal protein synthesis. In contrast, neither EtOH, acetaldehyde, nor acetate altered the basal rate of protein degradation. However, EtOH completely impaired the ability of insulin and IGF-I to inhibit proteolysis. Finally, EtOH did not impair IGF-I receptor autophosphorylation, but inhibited the ability of insulin to phosphorylate its own receptor. EtOH also did not alter the number of insulin or IGF-I receptors or the formation of insulin/IGF-I hybrid receptors.

CONCLUSIONS:
    We have demonstrated that EtOH can directly inhibit muscle protein synthesis under in vitro conditions. Neither EtOH nor its metabolites altered basal protein degradation, although EtOH did compromise the ability of both insulin and IGF-I to slow proteolysis. This impairment seems to be mediated by different defects in signal transduction.

EtOH (Ethanol) is what caused it..not "dehydration" LOL. You get an A for effort though

That is do do with the effects on protein synthesisation in vitro. The human body is not in vitro, it is rather in vivo and one should really not attempt to link the two.

Ok read the other 2 I posted which were not conducted in vitro. Like it really matters. Tell you what, you drink your alcohol and enjoy alllll those amazing gains. I find it funny how people find every way they can to defend something that destroys the liver among the other counterproductive things it inhibits towards fitness.

Do what you want and I'll do what I want. Best of luck in all of your future fitness endeavors.
  • SteveJWatson

Ok read the other 2 I posted which were not conducted in vitro. Like it really matters. Tell you what, you drink your alcohol and enjoy alllll those amazing gains. I find it funny how people find every way they can to defend something that destroys the liver among the other counterproductive things it inhibits towards fitness.

Do what you want and I'll do what I want. Best of luck in all of your future fitness endeavors.

Of course it matters - far better to study moderate alcohol consumption on humans, examining the whole system. Basically, in that study, they tipped ethanol on cells and reported that it inhibited their function. How surprising!

Learn to read scientific papers critically.

And, for what its worth, I'm cutting and doing so very effectiveley whilst drinking beer. Also progressing strengthwise and not fatigued from the hours I put in farming livestock. :drinker:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Of course it matters - far better to study moderate alcohol consumption on humans, examining the whole system. Basically, in that study, they tipped ethanol on cells and reported that it inhibited their function. How surprising!

And, for what its worth, I'm cutting and doing so very effectiveley whilst drinking beer. Also progressing strengthwise and not fatigued from the hours I put in farming livestock. :drinker:

There's the real question.

Is it easier dealing with livestock that have been drinking?

And how much would it take to matter?
  • Amadbro

Learn to read scientific papers critically?
    Why don't you learn what you're doing before you start attacking people (you're "cutting" when judging from your pics you obviously have zero LBM to"cut" to). See I can do that too. Another thing, I provided scientific research to support the information I posted. You have posted zero research but instead want to criticize others and try to discount the information even though, like I said it is supported and backed by black and white research.
    Do you really think I am going to take advice from someone who looks like they've never even touched a piece of iron? By the way I won't be responding again, I'm done, like I said I will do what I do and you can do what you do. In the end I know who will prevail.
  • masanz1
    masanz1 Posts: 65 Member
    this is why

What I have also noticed is that, although something like vodka has calories, it has 0 g fat, 0 g carbs, and 0 g protein. So, my question is, where do these calories go?!

Your body converts it to sugar, a form of glucose. Then it's stored as fat unless you can burn it off as fast as you drink it.
  • masanz1
    masanz1 Posts: 65 Member
    interesting thing on the internet i found...so of course it must be true.... :)

Your liver is in charge of turning foods into energy for our cells, usually in the form of glucose. Alcohol has to be specially processed by the liver — and since it is considered a poison by the body, it gets priority in the processing line up.

So the moment alcohol hits the blood stream, your liver drops everything else and detoxifies the alcohol.

Ever felt especially hungry the day after you had one too many? Depending on how much you drink, your liver could be occupied for several hours with processing alcohol – all while your blood glucose levels drop (your body continues to consume energy on a regular basis), allowing for hunger to set in.

Your blood sugar will drop even when you eat foods that are high in sugar or processed carbohydrates – so boozing and then eating are a crazy combination that can quickly lead to overconsumption of calories!
    this is why

What I have also noticed is that, although something like vodka has calories, it has 0 g fat, 0 g carbs, and 0 g protein. So, my question is, where do these calories go?!

Your body converts it to sugar, a form of glucose. Then it's stored as fat unless you can burn it off as fast as you drink it.
  • MaritzK
    MaritzK Posts: 66 Member
    I'm a student and I can tell you: alcohol calories count :( That whole beer belly thing hasn't reallt hit me yet but there are lots of boys and even girls that drink a lot and get a little beer belly even if they eat quite healty throughout the day
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    I think about a glass of wine and gain 3 pounds. It's very sad. :sad:

This is great, so I'm not the only one!
  • SteveJWatson

Why don't you learn what you're doing before you start attacking people (you're "cutting" when judging from your pics you obviously have zero LBM to"cut" to). See I can do that too. Another thing, I provided scientific research to support the information I posted. You have posted zero research but instead want to criticize others and try to discount the information even though, like I said it is supported and backed by black and white research.
    Do you really think I am going to take advice from someone who looks like they've never even touched a piece of iron? By the way I won't be responding again, I'm done, like I said I will do what I do and you can do what you do. In the end I know who will prevail.

Of course it matters, that's what science is about. You look at a study critically, and you have to be very careful applying in vitro studies to the living organism.

Iron or not, I can haul bales all day and shear hundreds of sheep in the summer, even before I go to the gym......
  • redsnapper8
    redsnapper8 Posts: 31 Member

Of course it matters, that's what science is about. You look at a study critically, and you have to be very careful applying in vitro studies to the living organism.

Iron or not, I can haul bales all day and shear hundreds of sheep in the summer, even before I go to the gym......

I'm a scientist and I quite agree with you, and fail to see how you 'attacked' anyone maybe they should chill out and have a drink .....as part of a balanced lifestyle of course :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    hmm, well,,, I drink my face off all weekend
    and I work double all week
    it can be done, it depends on how you do it
    and what you want.
    I am thin and healthy, so my doc says!

• Ok read the other 2 I posted which were not conducted in vitro. Like it really matters. Tell you what, you drink your alcohol and enjoy alllll those amazing gains. I find it funny how people find every way they can to defend something that destroys the liver among the other counterproductive things it inhibits towards fitness.

I'm sure you are doing great, making gains, feeling energized, and congrats on that! However, if you gained muscle 10% faster or slower, even if you think you could notice this (muscle growth does not = strength increase in a 1:1 fashion), how could you compare it to anything else? Fact is you can only know what you've experienced, so, since you drink and train, you would never know. So you are basically just arguing to defend something you have no way of having any knowledge of. Think about that one. Maybe enjoy thinking about it over your beer, not like the 10% is crucial, or 5% or 20%, we don't really know, and there can always be better studies done, and you can always argue over studies, but using study results we can see, logic and personal testimonies of those who train under its effect and then without, we can say to the best of knowledge it does affect performance and strength. But maybe that psychological boost you get through your beer is more important than whatever strength difference there could be, and it could be 1%, 50% or maybe its primary effect is on the brain's ability to trigger enough motor groups working in unison, and it all probably is dependent on concentration of alcohol in the blood and time at that concentration. Maybe even certain people are affected more than others, or the body adapts some over time. But just because you think you are doing well and aren't affected, doesn't mean it doesn't affect gains. :)

*Edit PS: I drink off and on myself, even though I know it does probably affect muscular gain while training...and personally I've noticed I perceived a negative effect to gaining strength most of the time when I drink a few days vs when I dont drink a few weeks.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    while correct in theory---you are wrong in fact. Not all calories support muscle gain and likewise not all calories support fat gain. BUT THEIR ARE THOSE WHO TAKE SIDES!!! So choose wisely
  • Amadbro

I'm a scientist and I quite agree with you, and fail to see how you 'attacked' anyone maybe they should chill out and have a drink .....as part of a balanced lifestyle of course :)

I'm an astronaut
  • steve_mfp
    steve_mfp Posts: 170 Member
    Here is a good read on alcohol from t-nation by Alan Aragon.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sex_news_sports_funny/a_muscleheads_guide_to_alcohol_1

Alan's site.

http://www.alanaragon.com/

Really good stuff.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member

I'm an astronaut

Very interesting, though as a blanket statement I'm not sure how that gives extra support to your arguments, as well as dashing your claims of not responding again :wink:

Must be the wine talking..
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member

The protein synthesis reduction is due to dehydration caused by alcohol. Some of the biggest strongest guys drink, it hasn't hurt them.

BACKGROUND:

METHODS:

RESULTS:

CONCLUSIONS:

You are taking in vitro study results and making the assumption that the same thing happens in vivo. That is rarely the case, especially in metabolic type studies. There are too many missing factors in in vitro studies that come into play when something is happening inside a living organism. It is absolutely step 1 of research. Next would come the rats and mice.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member

BACKGROUND:

METHODS:

RESULTS:

CONCLUSIONS:

"Like it really matters."? Bro, you in High School?