Did I screw myself up

So I am recovering from anorexia and was doing great for a month or so. Eating my meal plan given by nutritionist (probably around 1700-1800 calories) and was only gaining 1 lb per week. However three weeks ago my father suddenly died and I immediately lapsed. I went to eating 800-1000 calories, working out, and towards the end even using laxatives. This past Friday I was back at my lowest weight of 86 lbs (I'm 5 ft 7.5 inches and 21 years old) and I decided enough was enough. So I got back on my meal plan and today was weigh in day. Anyone want to explain how in 5 days I gained 3.6 lbs!!! When this is the same intake I had gained only 1.6 lbs week 1 then .2 lbs week 2 and again .2 lbs week 3 on before my relapse starting from the same 86 lbs? Now I am right back to where I was before my relapse and I'm flipping out. Did these 2.5 weeks of relapse kill my metabolism? Or is this just water retention due to stopping laxatives and eating more. Yes, I get I am underweight and need to gain weight but me and my nutritionist are only supposed to be doing 1 lb per week. I am pushing through and staying on my meal plan, hoping and praying this was water weight. Any insight I would love.

Replies

• tuulikki30
    tuulikki30 Posts: 99 Member
    Eating disorders are very difficult to deal with , as you know. My advice, is to follow the plan set out by your nutritionist and let them "worry" about the results. No one can accurately predict loss/gain. Just follow your plan and don't stress about what you cannot predict or change, as long as you follow the plan. Good luck to you, and I am sorry about the loss of your father.
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    I wish you the best of luck . I think you should follow the plan the nutritionist gave you. I'm sure when you check in with them they will help keep you on the right course. I applaud your courage. I'm sure you'll do great :-)
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Very sorry for your loss.:flowerforyou:

More than likely water weight from getting back on plan recently. Have you discussed your relapse with your counselor/nutritionist? I agree with PP on following your plan and letting your support team help with the results.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Simple. It's water and food. Why are you so worried?. You should be happy you gained! I do not condone eating disorders but given that you underwent a traumatic incident- I concede. BUT, going from 800-1000. too 1800calories will cause water weight to increase and maybe a 1lb of fat given your body weight. At your height you probably look like skin and bone with little muscle but not to worry you can rebound back and become healthy.
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    It might be your body's reaction since its not used to eating that amount, but please don't go starve yourself, I'm sure your body will get used to it sooner and the pounds will shed off too. Just like hitting a plateau, people who increase their calorie intake gain a few pounds in a short time but in a long term the pounds will naturally shed off too. I'm so sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself always, we're here for you,
  • I'm sorry for your loss! the weight gain you see is most likely only water bloat. My weight flucuates daily! before I eat in the morning I'm 124.8 pounds, by dinner time I'm 128.8-129.4 depending on how much salt I had. It's frustrating because I panic and beat myself up a lot over it.
  • TEMMEAlexa
    TEMMEAlexa Posts: 79 Member
    First of all, I am very sorry for your loss. You need not worry. Everything will be all right with your body, in time. Generally human metabolism takes a little time to adapt to a meal plan. You have a nutritionist to take care of what you have to eat and how much. My advice stick to the plan, don't push it. It's your weight not muscle. All the best.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Just wanted to update I continued with plan and lost weight this week. So got meal plan increase...and have yet to gain weight from it. Not gonna lie...I'm kind of excited :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Just wanted to update I continued with plan and lost weight this week. So got meal plan increase...and have yet to gain weight from it. Not gonna lie...I'm kind of excited :)

please speak to someone about this