How to get my bf to build muscle?

Now, my boyfriend is absolutely fabulous. He used to do either Tae Kwon Do or Karate (I can't remember). Anyway, he agreed to start working out with me, which I'm excited about. I'm on a cut, however, and I wanted him to bulk since he has so little LBM. He wants to do the boxing club next year, but how can I help him building a routine? I was going to give him mine, which is a 5 day split (I posted it below). The one I currently follow is a an updated edition which is a bit more intensive than this one. Basically, it has more exercises on it. Also, how can I help him with his diet? How much should eat and what type of food for it to be effective? c:

2v2tjdk.jpg

Thanks so much,
Kassie <3

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    As a beginner he's going to get a whole lot more out of it with a full body routine that focuses on compound lifts...maybe a few assistance exercises thrown in there after a couple of months. He should work in the 8-12 rep range to build mass and eat (a lot) and take in a lot of protein.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    You want him to bulk, or he wants to bulk?

If former, seek relationship counselling

If latter, put him on something like All Pro's SBR. Make sure he eats enough to put him over TDEE consistently (by something like 300-500 cals a day)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    As a beginner he's going to get a whole lot more out of it with a full body routine that focuses on compound lifts...maybe a few assistance exercises thrown in there after a couple of months. He should work in the 8-12 rep range to build mass and eat (a lot) and take in a lot of protein.

What he said. No need for a bunch of ancillary movements. Stick with the main basic moves. Flat bench, overhead press, pull ups, rows, squats, deadlifts.
    And eat a LOT.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,084 Member
    As stated, for starting out bulking it is far better to focus on compound lifts rather than isolation lifts. The big ones are squat, deadlift, standing overhead press, bent over rows, bench press. I wish I knew this when I was a teenager and in my 20s since I wasted a whole lot of time doing isolation exercises.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Not to mention, having a routine with fewer, compound lifts is easier to stick with. Doing everything you listed would have me confused!
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Lift, Eat, Sleep.... Repeat :-)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Now, my boyfriend is absolutely fabulous. He used to do either Tae Kwon Do or Karate (I can't remember). Anyway, he agreed to start working out with me, which I'm excited about. I'm on a cut, however, and I wanted him to bulk since he has so little LBM. He wants to do the boxing club next year, but how can I help him building a routine? I was going to give him mine, which is a 5 day split (I posted it below). The one I currently follow is a an updated edition which is a bit more intensive than this one. Basically, it has more exercises on it. Also, how can I help him with his diet? How much should eat and what type of food for it to be effective? c:

Thanks so much,
    Kassie <3

Hopefully he's on board with this. Either way, maybe he should be on here to ask the questions, not you.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Which boyfriend? :huh: :laugh:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member

:flowerforyou:
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    If HE is wanting to get advice on bulking, have him sign up here and check out the Gaining Weight boards as well as groups focused on building muscle. If this is something that YOU want but he doesn't, then you shouldn't be trying to force it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Does he want to bulk?
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    You want him to bulk, or he wants to bulk?

If former, seek relationship counselling

That's what I was thinking....
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    I see where you say what you want him to do, but I do not see where you say what he wants to do. Guess that would be the first step - find out if he wants to add muscle or not.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Why not simply trade him in for a new one who already has the LBM ratio you're looking for? :huh:

Also, general advice to all women: If you like a guy, except you want to change a few things about him, you have two choices. The first choice is to focus on what you already like and accept the things you don't like. The second choice is to try to change him, and then become frustrated when he doesn't change to suit your preferences. If you enjoy frustration, as many people seem to do, then the second option is the clear choice.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Best bulking plans are ones that focus on the big lifts (Dead Lifts, Bench, Press, Squats, Rows, Pullups) with big weight and eat, eat, eat. Diet will be the largest contributor to this equation. To build any structure you need the building materials to do so, which is cals for the body... and just not any cals, but good quality wholefoods and a little supplementation thrown in there. After said size is achieved move to more of a hypertrophy plan, less weight but more volume, and cut down the cals to burn out the body fat.... again here the secret for success will be diet. Just my $0.02 though.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Why not simply trade him in for a new one who already has the LBM ratio you're looking for? :huh:

Also, general advice to all women: If you like a guy, except you want to change a few things about him, you have two choices. The first choice is to focus on what you already like and accept the things you don't like. The second choice is to try to change him, and then become frustrated when he doesn't change to suit your preferences. If you enjoy frustration, as many people seem to do, then the second option is the clear choice.

This.
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Haha. -.-

To everyone else- He does want to do this, he's just not had the motivation TO do it up until now. It's a "new year, new you" think. Thanks for the tips. And I'm not trying to "change him." He asked for my help because he knows I work out a lot, but I have no clue how to bulk so I figured I'd ask you all. I like him for him.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    If he doesn't want it enough to lift a finger, he doesn't want it.

There are also a lot of different considerations that go into bulking. Especially if he wants to box.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Yeah he has to want to do it. But then most guys do right? If they aren't is usually because they are intimidated by the gym, don't know how, or both.

Good news, provided he wants to try, is that the solution to both problems is the same. Learning about lifting, and having a plan, are the best ways to gain confidence in the gym and get going.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    If he wants to bulk, then take the advice of the people here who know about it (aka not me). If YOU want him to bulk, and he wants to do other things, my suggestion is to back off on forcing bulking and let him work out the way he wants to and be happy with that. We all get into it in our own way, and if you force 'must bulk, you're not strong enough for me' at him, it's probably going to blow up in your face. :)