5 month bulk

Options
New year soon and all that so birthday is in may so a five month bulk is the plan...

Am about 185lbs now and going to get big as I can not to sure what a reachable goal weight should be tho?

Calories Protein Carbs Fat
4044 244g 551g 96g

That will be my daily macros or there bouts, but am asking for help from training to dote but mainly what should my goals me how much weight could I get in five months..I don't want get my hopes up trying to reach 300lbs and not reaching it for example my plan for the bulk was to reach 220lbs is that reachable then to cut slowly back to bout 200

Replies

• zipnguyen
    zipnguyen Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    1-2 lbs per month depending on height. I try to do 1-2lbs a month. I know, doesn't sound like a lot.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    ^ This. 1-2 pounds per month is probably ideal for someone who has been lifting for awhile. If you are still new or cut fat easily you may shoot for around 4 lbs per month but just adding a ton of weight wont necessarily mean more muscle gain.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of carbs....I would suggest upping your fat intake and lowering the carbs, just to make eating easier on yourself!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of carbs....I would suggest upping your fat intake and lowering the carbs, just to make eating easier on yourself!

Yeah the fat is really low...
    Fat is yummy
  • 1989lukemyers
    1989lukemyers Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys n girls, yer that's just a rough mock of my macros as I will have higher carbs on some days and lower on others which in turn will bump the fat up :)

And awesome that could be 5-10lbs in that time just wanted rough idea on where should aim for really :)

Thanks
  • angelzprophecy
    Options
    i wouldnt try to reach for a specific weight that really doesnt mean anything. that will prolly make you eat too much just to get to that weight with most of it being fat. just gain as much quality mass as you can in that time span
  • zipnguyen
    zipnguyen Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    ^ This. 1-2 pounds per month is probably ideal for someone who has been lifting for awhile. If you are still new or cut fat easily you may shoot for around 4 lbs per month but just adding a ton of weight wont necessarily mean more muscle gain.

makes sense if new. Judging from OP's pro pic, doesn't look new to lifting.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

makes sense if new. Judging from OP's pro pic, doesn't look new to lifting.

I agree. I dont think that was the pic he had up before and it was not easy to see what experience level he might be at.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    1-2 lbs per month depending on height. I try to do 1-2lbs a month. I know, doesn't sound like a lot.

actually, even that seems like a lot to me. around 5 lbs of actual muscle in one year sounds more resonable to me, for vetrans anyway. its difficult to put a real number on it and probably has more to do with genetics then anything else.
    i wouldnt try to reach for a specific weight that really doesnt mean anything. that will prolly make you eat too much just to get to that weight with most of it being fat. just gain as much quality mass as you can in that time span

this has been my experience with bulking, although i put on fat easy, and the majority of my fitness career has been spent trying to lose weight. I think it would be more resonable to figure out whatever maintenance is (with exercise) and put between 300-500 extra cals a day on that. thast my plan for next time anyway
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys n girls, yer that's just a rough mock of my macros as I will have higher carbs on some days and lower on others which in turn will bump the fat up :)

And awesome that could be 5-10lbs in that time just wanted rough idea on where should aim for really :)

Thanks

why are you carb cycling?
  • isaiahcool
    Options
    depending on your BF%, you could bump the fat up a bit. if you were at a low BF% already, at 185lbs. your baseline for fat would technically be 74g, with the max intake at 185g. I'd say right around 110-130g would be the most beneficial for you (.6-.7g/lb). I'm on 92g fat myself, and I'm 154lbs, 5'10", clean bulking after cutting from a skinny fat 175. the extra fat will make you feel much better, especially once you start getting bigger - not to mention keeping your fats too low can make getting your carbs rather tough, as well.