Dairy/Wheat Free Ideas

I'll cut the crap and get straight to it.
I'm a 77kg 21 year old male who needs 4100 calories minimum to gain weight (fact).

I can easily get those 4100 calories eating a normal, healthy diet, but I've been ill now for months (headaches, sinuses, generally bad health), which happens quite lot.

Dairy is bad for me, I know that, feel a lot better when I stay away from it, but Gluten is something I struggle to give up, it's so easy just making a PB + Banana Sandwich or whipping up some pasta to get in those final calories, but trying to go gluten free is so hard when bulking, especially when you''re out the house for most the day, with no where to store pre-made food.

I've read forums and seen 'great' advice such as 'eat 200g of peanut butter', but I'm already on 75-100g of the stuff each day and really don't see that as a solution.
Also annoyingly, I really hate rice. It fills me up so quick I struggle to eat more than 100g in one sitting, and Quinoa makes me feel more ill than Dairy, so that's out the question.

So guys, anyone have a tried and tested 4000+ Calorie Bulking Plan that is Wheat and Dairy Free?
Whey Protein is fine, doesn't cause any reaction for me at all, but can't do any other type (no cheese, casein protein, milk etc).

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    -other nut butters like hazelnut, almond, cashew etc (more expensive, but might be a welcome relief from the PB, and it's fairly easy to make your own)
    -whole nuts, handfuls at a time
    -seeds like sunflower, pumpkin, sesame etc - make up a trail mix, or they can be added to a lot of dishes
    -olive oil added to cooking and/or salads
    -I don't know if you've looked into other dairy products like goat's cheese, but sometimes people who struggle with cow dairy are ok with other forms
    -potatoes
    -oats (some people who have problems with wheat are ok with oats, you can also get GF oats)
    -lentils, beans, buckwheat, wild rice (a different animal from actual rice)
    -eggs
    -fruit

also try researching (if you haven't already) vegan bulking diets, as they'll have some of the same restrictions
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    I'm a 77kg 21 year old male who needs 4100 calories minimum to gain weight (fact).

I can easily get those 4100 calories eating a normal, healthy diet, but I've been ill now for months (headaches, sinuses, generally bad health), which happens quite lot.

Dairy is bad for me, I know that, feel a lot better when I stay away from it, but Gluten is something I struggle to give up, it's so easy just making a PB + Banana Sandwich or whipping up some pasta to get in those final calories, but trying to go gluten free is so hard when bulking, especially when you''re out the house for most the day, with no where to store pre-made food.

I've read forums and seen 'great' advice such as 'eat 200g of peanut butter', but I'm already on 75-100g of the stuff each day and really don't see that as a solution.
    Also annoyingly, I really hate rice. It fills me up so quick I struggle to eat more than 100g in one sitting, and Quinoa makes me feel more ill than Dairy, so that's out the question.

So guys, anyone have a tried and tested 4000+ Calorie Bulking Plan that is Wheat and Dairy Free?
    Whey Protein is fine, doesn't cause any reaction for me at all, but can't do any other type (no cheese, casein protein, milk etc).

Have you tried 'lactose free skim milk'? It's not the dairy that causes the reaction in you but the lactose in dairy products.

Find a mass gainer that doesn't upset your stomache too much. Just remember to stop eating them once you reach your ideal weight lol.

I couldn't put weight on like you up to 22 but those 6k cal/day diets and mass gainers added 20lbs/year since 23.

Went on a 5 year unintentional 'bulkin' phase as I like to call it lol.

:D
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member

Have you tried 'lactose free skim milk'? It's not the dairy that causes the reaction in you but the lactose in dairy products.

Find a mass gainer that doesn't upset your stomache too much. Just remember to stop eating them once you reach your ideal weight lol.

I couldn't put weight on like you up to 22 but those 6k cal/day diets and mass gainers added 20lbs/year since 23.

Went on a 5 year unintentional 'bulkin' phase as I like to call it lol.

:D

Oh and speaking of milk,

If you make a shake made out of:

Lactose free 1% milk(400ml) : 180 kcal
    promasil protein (two scoops) : 200kcal
    banana medium(one) : 100kcal
    peanut butter(two scoop): 180kcal

660kcal protein shake right there for you. Add in more peanut butter in there if you want to bulk
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Anything high in fat is useful. Avocados, chicken legs, hamburger, nuts, etc.

Grains of course, oatmeal, rice, corn products, etc.

If the quinoa bothers you, did you give it a proper rinse?
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    If you drink coffee, Coffeemate has some lactose free creamers such as French Vanilla and they are yummy. And 35 cal a Tablespoon.
    Muscle Milk has a lactose free protein powder that is also very good.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Home made mayo. Goes on anything!!

Choose fattier cuts of meat/fish, lots of eggs, carb dense vegies and fruit. Coconut oil- for cooking, or blend it in to coffee, avocado, nut butters and nuts. If you've been unwell, consider trying alternatives to peanut butter.

You mention having issues with quinoa - try soaking and sprouting it, it may make digestion easier

Look up "against all grain". She has a recipe for "bread" which is high cal, would give you an alternative to gf bread (which I think is disgusting!) and more options for snacks/meals

Eat a lot and often - I feel your pain, my husband struggles to get in the cals he needs to bulk!