Can you drink too much lemon water?

So the last two days, in an effort to get off the MIO drink flavorings, I've added some lemon slices to my water. I drink about 60 oz a day. Does it matter that there's lemon in it?

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Since you add lemon slices you are now adding extra calories.. so if you account for some of those calories.. you should be ok.. Figure each lemon slice probably adds 5 calories to your water.. so..
  • i hear it can be really bad for your teeth .
  • mkpomeroy
    mkpomeroy Posts: 4 Member
    I heard too much can cause issues, but it never says how much is too much. :/
  • DaveMurphy6
    DaveMurphy6 Posts: 129 Member
    Lemons can be extremely dirty. alot of handling by different people and often not washed. Make sure you wash them prior to use.

This comes from a number of people in the food industry
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    I heard too much can cause issues, but it never says how much is too much. :/

I think the "too much" will depend on your body. Since lemon is so acidic, you would likely notice stomach upset or cramping when you hit "too much". Just trust your body. If you're really worried about it, check with a doctor. :)
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Lemons can be extremely dirty. alot of handling by different people and often not washed. Make sure you wash them prior to use.

This comes from a number of people in the food industry

That's a general rule for basically every food item.
  • Zomb1eMummy
    Zomb1eMummy Posts: 104 Member
    My doctor recommended no more than 4 glasses of this a day. Lemons are not the best for your stomach or teeth.
  • CarlaRile
    CarlaRile Posts: 3 Member
    Dr. Oz recommends lemon added to hot water in the morning to help in weight loss. I personally put lemon on everything as a seasoning - vegetables, meat etc. and it helps lesson need for salt. I also add it to tea. Haven't counted it as calories but need to. I usually leave about 100 cal. for misc. which would cover the lemon and couple of altoids I have a day.
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    I drink a lot of lemon water too, but too much citric acid can cause problems. I alternate putting cucumbers, fresh berries, or mint leaves in my water to give it a natural flavor. Add them to a fizzy water (seltzer or sparkling) if you're feeling like something more fun.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    My doctor recommended no more than 4 glasses of this a day. Lemons are not the best for your stomach or teeth.

Yeah, teeth and stomach would be my biggest concerns.
  • AyaRowan
    AyaRowan Posts: 80 Member
    One entire regular/medium sized lemon has about 11 or 12 calories. One lemon wedge has about...1 calorie or so. Depending on how many you put in each bottle of water you drink, it could possibly add up so keep track of how much of a lemon you use throughout the day. By the way, the vitamin C in the juice of one lemon is 36% of our daily recommended amount. It's possible to get too much vitamin C, but I doubt you'll do it by just adding some lemon slices in your water. Don't worry.

Personally, my friend tells me I don't drink lemon water, I drink lemonade! For around 18 to 20oz of water, I add the juice of one entire lemon. Then add a pinch of cayenne pepper (to me the cayenne enhances it, but be sure not to add too much if you try it). I used to drink sodas all the time, but now I crave lemon cayenne water instead when I need a change from regular water. Not bad switching sugary, artificial ingredient laden sodas for a tall glass of 12 calorie, all natural, lemon cayenne water that has plenty of vitamin C and metabolism boosting cayenne.

That being said, I only drink that maybe once a day, and the rest of the day is plain water or apple cider vinegar water (I've come to like the taste of that as well). If you're not using over a couple lemons a day, I'd say you'll be fine.

The only thing I would worry about, as has been mentioned, is your tooth enamel. Lemons are acidic, and they can soften the enamel that protects your teeth. So when you sip it constantly throughout the day, each time you eat you could be wearing down a bit of that softened enamel.

To combat this, after I finish drinking apple cider vinegar water or lemon water, or even soda since it's acidic too, I make sure to swish a little plain water in my mouth to rinse away the acid left behind. If you really can't drink plain water just yet, maybe you could rinse your teeth about thirty minutes before a meal with plain water and not drink any lemon water before hand? Maybe the enamel would have a break from the acid that way. But I'm no expert.

Anyway, good luck with staying off drink flavorings! And really do try the little bit of cayenne pepper powder in the water, to me plain lemon water doesn't taste good. But lemon cayenne water does.
  • mkpomeroy
    Thanks everyone for the tips! I'll switch it up, berries sound good!
  • mkpomeroy
    Oh definitely going to try that! Thanks!! :)
  • Switching it up will be good.

I happen to usually like straight up pure water, but sometimes I need a little flavor. I've found that the Bigelow brand of tea cold "brews" pretty well. I buy the Mint Medley flavor and throw it in some ice water and let it sit for about five minutes before drinking it. No calories on the tea, either.
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Cucumber slices in water are really good, too.
  • mkpomeroy, I know this post might be dead but I have a suggestion. First off let me say congratulations for wanting to make the switch, that is a decision that's never easy to make and for that I'm very happy for you.

As for the Lemons, they are perfectly fine to consume with your water, in fact this is something everyone in the world should be doing. Lemons are the MOST alkaline foods in our world today, they are acidic in original shape( meaning out side the body it's acidic), but when digested and metabolized they release alkaline minerals that help balance our bodies in numerous ways.

The worry about teeth is unfortunately true, but a simple fix to this would be drinking with a straw and you'll be worry free from that issue. As for the stomach problems, some people are sensitive to drinking a lot of lemons a day. For this I would suggest a whole jar for one lemon, I personally use " Balls Mason jars" you can look at it here: http://goo.gl/XXae58 .

Reasoning for this is that you won't have to consume eight lemons with eight cups of water, this will allow you to have the same health benefits with just one lemon! And of course you'll have your lemon flavor. I Make 2 jars the night before and just serve myself all throughout the next day.

If you have any questions just ask! I'll be happy to answer them, if you see this post of course lol. For anyone else who benefits from this or has questions, I'm all ears!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    As for the Lemons, they are perfectly fine to consume with your water, in fact this is something everyone in the world should be doing. Lemons are the MOST alkaline foods in our world today, they are acidic in original shape( meaning out side the body it's acidic), but when digested and metabolized they release alkaline minerals that help balance our bodies in numerous ways.

Adding lemons to water or consuming them in any other way is fine if you want to do so.

But it has no magical properties and isn't something "everyone in the world should be doing."

If you like it, do it - but it matters not one iota if you don't.
  • Actually on the contrary, lemon-water is quite important. Lemons have alkaline minerals such as potassium, magnesium, sodium, and calcium. These are very important to maintain a proper PH level within the body, and every little bit we can do for ourselves should never be disregarded.

Certainly you can get these minerals in number of ways, but why settle for less? Lemons are the highest on the alkaline chart and recognized for those four minerals especially, not to say that is all that's contained within it, so indeed it's a very beneficial addition in what we consume in our daily lives.
  • HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    I drink this all the time, and often forget to wash the lemons, so I'll do that from now on.

Question - are the negative effect on stomach and teeth the same if I use slices of lime?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    It sounds safer to stick with my Mio.