Why does water make me nauseous?

Options
Drinking water (especially in the morning, but all other times of the day, too) makes me feel really sick, like I need to throw up. Anyone know why?

Replies

• VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    If it's from the tap it could be something in your filtration or water system.

If it's from a filtered source, and always the same filtered source, maybe there's something broken in the filter.

Does it happen with bottled water?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options
    Especially in the morning?

You could be pregnant?
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that way when I had problems controlling my low blood sugar. I increased the amount of protein I eat at night and I don't have the problem anymore.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I drink water all day, but like you - I can't stomach a glass of water on an empty stomach. I have to have something to eat before I can drink any water in the morning.

That aside, I find that cold, cold water bothers me a little. Room temperature water - I can drink all day, no problem. Maybe try that?
  • lowtides_highflames
    Options
    I feel this way when I drink too fast. Maybe slow down?
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Heavily chlorinated water does that to me. Try filtered or bottled. If it is room temp try cold or vice versa. If you just don't like the taste or lack of it try a squeeze of lemon or lime in it.
  • Chantilly_laced
    Options
    Is it just one glass that makes you nauseous or are you having a lot of water? There's such thing as water intoxication... throws your electrolytes WAY out of whack and can make you feel sick. Maybe you're drinking TOO much water?
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Drinking water (especially in the morning, but all other times of the day, too) makes me feel really sick, like I need to throw up. Anyone know why?

How long has this been going on?
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If you do find out it's the chlorine, just fill a pitcher with tap water, and let it sit uncovered (in the fridge, if you like it cold) for a day. The chlorine will separate out fairly quickly and offgas.

Most municipal water is fine, even if it tastes a bit oogy. Water filtration systems, unless you actually have bad water, are a good way to separate people from their money.

You could just have a sensitive stomach, and 8 (or more) oz of water slugged in there in short order makes it unhappy.

Try eating something light first, and then drinking the water, more slowly, and see if that helps.

Also, most of the reccomendations for "you should drink X amount of water a day!" are bunk.

If you are thirsty, drink water. If you aren't don't worry about it.

(caveat: If you have been walking in the hot sun for 12 hours, and WERE thirsty, and are now NOT thirsty, without having drunk anything.. you are severely dehydrated.. but we are going to assume you are not posting from the desert, nor running 10k's before you get out of bed in Arizona in the summer)
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Medically, there's no real answer other than to drink less. It takes about 1 minute per ounce of water to absorb through the lining of the stomach. If you're grabbing a 16 oz bottle, take your time with it so all 16 oz aren't dropped in at once. That will give the stomach time to slowly empty out before you drink more.
  • smaug5ever
    Options
    For a long time. About a year, I believe. I'm definitely not pregnant, and it happens with bottled water and water that's not from my house, too, so it's not that. Also I actually don't drink enough water; I'm a little dehydrated.
  • positivesky
    positivesky Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Same here. "Drinking too much water can also damage the body and cause hyponatraemia (water intoxication). Hyponatraemia occurs when sodium in the blood drops to a dangerously low level. Sodium is needed in muscle contraction and for sending nerve impulses. If large amounts of plain water are consumed in a short period of time, the kidneys cannot excrete enough fluid. Hyponatraemia can lead to headaches, blurred vision, cramps (and eventually convulsions), swelling of the brain, coma and possibly death." - We probably have a much less severe version of this, due to an existing condition (blood irregularity/liver issue/probably nothing to worry about). :) Maybe just drink water throughout the day, slowly? I know it sucks so bad. ):
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I have this problem a little, but find when I suck it up for a week or so, I feel better. Sounds like you've been trying. I'd definitely try making sure you eat something first.
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    For a long time. About a year, I believe. I'm definitely not pregnant, and it happens with bottled water and water that's not from my house, too, so it's not that. Also I actually don't drink enough water; I'm a little dehydrated.

I have an autoimmune disorder and it affects my GI tract and I actually have a very similar complaint. I also take a daily medication to treat my ADD which exacerbates the issue. I feel nauseous regularly after drinking water and as strange as it seems, it happens. My doctor thought I was being a crackpot, but I wasn't lying. It happens with tap, filtered, or bottled water.
  • marasw
    marasw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Water makes me nauseous too. Carbonated drinks do not. That is how I started drinking 5-6 cans of soda a day long ago...it was literally the only this I was drinking :/ Now I just force myself to drink water as much as I can (I still have a soda every day) and try to ignore the nausea.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options

What guidelines are you using for an appropriate amount of water?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    ice cold water makes me feel ill. room temperature water doesn't. Some people find the opposite, i.e. can't drink room temperature water, can only drink ice cold water.

you could try water at different temperatures and see if that makes a difference...
  • paperfiish
    paperfiish Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    That happens to me, but only with tap water. A glass of tap water (cold or warm) will make me want to vomit. And in the morning I'll feel sick if I drink just straight water with no food too. Maybe try to spread your water consumption to keep it concentrated on when you eat, so that you stomach doesn't just it with it alone. Also if it's really severe, you should talk to your doctor, as it might have something to do with your stomach acid or maybe something else that's wrong with it.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    You might be allergic to water. Try tapering off of it for a few weeks and see if this problem goes away.

Okay. Not serious. But does this happen with other drinks?
  • grizismygriz
    grizismygriz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I get sick only after drink water after cereal or milk. Also with smoothies and juices.