Hungry, but don't know what to eat! (Flu)

Options
hgycta
hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
So this is my first time with the flu, and I must admit, it's a lot worse than what I thought it would be! My chest hurts, my back hurts, I'm cold, throwing up, have a headache, and experiencing the WORST stomach cramps. Either I'm hungry, or I'm so bloated that the only way I feel better is by taking a nap. I really need some advice, what foods are good for colds? I'm difficult - I hate soda and tea, two things my parents keep recommending. It seems like the only thing that seems appealing to me is chicken noodle soup, but I feel like I should try to limit my consumption of it since it's so high in sodium. I'm STARVING, but a small bite of anything just makes my stomach hurt terribly. Should I try not to eat then? What do you guys usually do? And when you get sick and vomit, do you eat those calories back? I know I may be over thinking things, and I would just "listen to my body" and feed it as needed.... IF I actually knew what it wanted! This is so hard ugh lol

Replies

• jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Could you get someone to make you soup that isn't so high in sodium? Because soup is awesome.

If it was me I'd try to keep some whatever could and not worry about it. When I'm throwing up a lot (and I'm pregnant so I know what I'm talking about) I just don't bother logging calories, but try to eat as reasonably well as I can. Oh ya, and lots of water. If you feel like you are getting dehydrated ask someone to go to the pharmacy and get you one of those packets of electrolytes you mix with water, or gatorade but that has lots of sugar and makes my stomach hurt more.

I vote just rest up and not worry about the nutritional aspects so much. More than likely you'll feel better in a few days and can go back to your usual routine.

Feel better!
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I usually go with saltines and gingerale. Vitamin water/Gatorade can be good, too. Just make sure you stay hydrated. That's most important. As for eating, stay bland, but eat whatever you want. Right now, it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you get better. If chicken soup feels and tastes good, just eat it. Don't worry about calories or anything at all. Just feel better.
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble eating calories, maybe try drinking them? Something like milk (whole milk) or maybe chocolate milk? I personally don't like the texture of whole milk, so I would go with chocolate. Assuming that you tolerate dairy well. If you don't, ignore that suggestion. Eat what you can; don't worry about the sodium unless you have an existing condition that makes sodium particularly problematic for you. If you're hungry after you vomit, eat. Don't worry so much about the calories. Your body needs energy to get better.

Do you have anything you could take for nausea/vomiting? The gold standard (in my opinion) is Zofran, but that's a prescription drug. I'm not as sure about what's good OTC, maybe Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate? I would say Tylenol and/or ibuprofen might help with the stomach pain and all the other aches.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I usually go with saltines and gingerale. Vitamin water/Gatorade can be good, too. Just make sure you stay hydrated. That's most important. As for eating, stay bland, but eat whatever you want. Right now, it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you get better. If chicken soup feels and tastes good, just eat it. Don't worry about calories or anything at all. Just feel better.

To add on to this, easily digestible foods would help, if you can down them. Stuff like rice, bananas, cooked vegetables, and applesauce are some suggestions. Feel better! I've been there, the flu really just knocks all the wind out of your sails and kicks you when you're down.
  • smand2000
    smand2000 Posts: 88
    Options
    Do not worry about macros / sodium when you are so ill. Worry about getting something that will stay down and keep you hydrated. Chicken broth (low sodium if you are really concerned), hot water with lemon / ginger / honey, toast with peanut / almond butter are all staples. Saltines dipped in broth. Feel better, this weather sucks ...
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Chicken soup is the best.

Skip the Gatoraide, good old lemon water with a little honey. Any way you can get some fluids in water can be hard to drink.

Do some inhalations, if you can grab a box of tissues and hang your head down and inhale the vapour is the best - keep the congestion off the chest.
  • RamosFFA
    RamosFFA Posts: 1
    Options
    Tuna and pasta with mayo = protein and weight control witch is better for u on a daily deficit, and a gatorade (Blue) -- its loaded with minerals and cockmeatsamwitches
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    During a cold or healing I tend to eat anything that I can stomach. The goal is to give your body the energy it needs to fight and heal.

A good Hot Epsom salt bath will help relieve body aches and clear your sinuses before bed. Take two ibuprofen, a shot of NyQuil and rest as much as you can. Worry about your macros in a day or two. You need calories for energy right now.

Just my $0.02
  • armstrong71
    armstrong71 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When sick and starting solid type foods a BRAT diet is recommended. (bananas , rice , applesauce , toast ) otherwise Gatorade or water to keep from getting dehydrated.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Chicken soup :)

I wouldn't worry about the sodium for a few days if you're not well.

ETA: oh and a hot toddie. Whiskey, lemon and honey.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I like those microwave cup soups Campbell's makes. Don't worry about sodium if you are sick. I also like mashed potatoes once I'm feeling a bit better.
  • Lindymae1
    Lindymae1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling pukey I'd stay away from dairy. Especially if you're feverish. BRAT diet foods would likely sit well if they're things you like and can tolerate. You probably know already but BRAT stands for Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast. And like others said, as much fluids as you can get in no matter what it consists of. I like jello when I'm sick. I drink it warm before it sets up and enjoy it cold because it's easy to swallow on a sore throat. Chicken soup would be terrific. I have a really yummy spicy chicken and rice soup recipe that's quick, easy and helps clear out the gunk in your sinuses or chest. Holler if you want the recipe. It can be tailored to your sodium desires :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    warm up some chicken stock and sip that …

I also find that toast with a little honey on it works …

or just sip some gatorade in it….

I had strep most of this week and i barely ate anything…

get well soon...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    broth and some plain toast
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    fluids of any kind - don't get dehydrated - you can have chicken soup if you are as sick as you say you will only get about a cup down anyway - try some juices - I know you said you don't like tea but make it sweet with honey? maybe some soda crackers or dry toast - the old saying is feed a cold starve a fever (I honestly only think it says starve a fever because people usually throw up with the flu). The cramps are part of the flu - you will be better off not to force food into yourself - just have small amounts at a time so that you can keep it down - if you have gatoraid or something similar it's good to have - I usually open a bottle of ginger ale and let it go flat - for some reason flat ginger ale stays down - I wouldn't worry too much about calories or sodium when you are sick - it's only a day or a couple days - again FLUIDS - sorry you are feeling so ill :flowerforyou:
  • sssgilber
    sssgilber Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Clear fluids; i.e. jello, broth, ginger ale. Easier to digest, easier for your stomach to reject if necessary. A few bites of dry toast or plain crackers when you get hungry for something solid.
  • SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I drink jello water...add some jello powder to water and drink it. Not a lot, just what feels comfortable. It seems to then solidify in my stomach and helps with the churning.

If I feel better I try pudding...vanilla or tapioca.

Hope you feel better soonest.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    If you are vomiting, don't eat solids. Fluids are fine, once you can keep fluids down then the BRAT diet
    Bananas
    Rice
    Applesauce
    Toast
    No dairy!!!