How do you measure a table spoon of peanut butter?

Miamiuu
Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
Ive always wondered this since the package says one table spoon. How high up can the peanut butter be stacked on the spoon?

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    weigh it - if you use a measuring spoon level it
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    you dip the spoon in the peanut butter, make a scooping motion, and when the cup of the spoon is full, you remove it from the jar.

jk, but seriously, just to the top of the spoon, that's a tablespoon. it's not a game of "how much can we load onto one spoon!?"

:tongue:
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    I weigh it.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Fill up the "cup" of the spoon and level it off. Weighing would be more accurate though.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Peanut butter is most womens "crack" . I use pb2 cause i have to mix it and thats portion control of which i have none for the jarred stuff. Also count it as a fat not a protein.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    I put my bread on the scale and weigh the amount of peanut butter directly on the bread.
  • That's a fabulous tip aarar! Thank you.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    I put my bread on the scale and weigh the amount of peanut butter directly on the bread.

mind.

blown.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    is it roughly the same amount as scooping your index and middle finger in the jar and sticking them straight into your mouth?

Seriously though, I wondered on this one and decided to find a calorie count for a given number of grams rather than by the spoonful as I tend to cheat where PB is concerned!
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Buy a scale and weigh your solid food (and use volumes for liquids).
  • monizjm
    monizjm Posts: 92 Member
    Use PB2 plain or with cocoa. BEST thing ever for sub of that fattening PB that we all love(d).
  • crsawinton
    crsawinton Posts: 96 Member
    Use PB2 plain or with cocoa. BEST thing ever for sub of that fattening PB that we all love(d).

I just bought some, can't wait to use it in a PB and banana smoothie!
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    I recommend weighing everything.

However, I must admit that I do not weigh my peanut butter. When I was a child my mother taught me how to measure ingredients in a volumetric measure by filling the cavity and then scraping the top flat. So, this is what I do with peanut butter. I use the back (flat) part of a table knife to scrape the excess peanut butter back into the jar, so I am left with a spoon that is filled to the rim, but not over.

When I first started weighing my food I did indeed weigh my peanut butter, after measuring using the above scraping method. (I pre-weighed the measuring spoon.) It turned out that my fill and scrape method yielded nearly the exact weight listed for 1 tablespoon of peanut butter (Xg). I think that it was off by 1 gram, but I forget in which direction.

So, ever since then, I just don't sweat it. I fill and scrape, but do not weigh peanut butter.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Use a scale
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    I too put whatever I plan to use with the peanut butter ON the food scale (bread, wrap, cracker, etc) then I put the peanut butter on that way.

Digital scale = life saver.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    I put my spoon on my digital scale with the scale set to grams, say the spoon is 30 grams .. and a tbsp of pb is 16 grams, I just scoop the spoon into the pb and put it back on the scale and adjust till it says 46 grams.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    is it roughly the same amount as scooping your index and middle finger in the jar and sticking them straight into your mouth?
    I buy my peanut butter in a 1kg tub so I can get my whole hand in.....
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,097 Member
    It would be level, not heaped. Frankly it is one of the least accurate ways to measure peanut butter. Get a digital kitchen scale and weight it based on the weight given as that is the number that is accurate, the 1 tablespoon is the estimate of what that weight would be equivalent to.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    I like the way you do it aarar!