Side effects from spinach...

Not the most pleasing of subjects I know, but I've been eating raw spinach the past 6 weeks in my salads. Not a lot, but say a good 2-3 cups of raw spinach along with some veggies, berries, nuts, lean turkey, tuna, chicken, etc... . I suppose I average 2 - 3 salads a week in the evening like this. And I also average about 2-3 days of some chopped up spinach cooked in my eggs for breakfast. It doesn't happen all the time, but every now and then after eating a raw spinach salad, the next morning things are "loose" (to keep the topic less offensive).

I don't remember experiencing this before, but wanted to hear from others on what they do to avoid that. Do you wash your spinach? Do you cook it instead? Is my portion too much? Is it possible the brand I am purchasing may not be as clean as others? etc...

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Hard for me to say, I eat a lot of spinach both raw and cooked...but I get a lot of fiber so things are always a little shaky...
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    You're eating a lot of fiber. How is your protein intake?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Here is what Livingstrong says...

Spinach is a nutrient-rich vegetable that is often called a “super food.” It contains numerous vitamins and minerals, and it is a very good source of dietary fiber, which bulks up feces in the large intestine and helps to combat diarrhea. On the other hand, spinach contains high levels of oxalic acid, which can cause absorption problems and lead to diarrhea. Unwashed spinach can be contaminated with bacteria, which may lead to gastroenteritis and severe bouts of diarrhea. Contact your doctor if you feel unwell and develop persistent diarrhea after eating raw spinach.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/556464-spinach-and-diarrhea/

The article is much longer if you want to read it for yourself...
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    The only thing I can think of is that spinach is very very high up on the list of most sprayed produce…absolutely drowned in pesticides.
    Here is a list of the "dirty dozen"
    http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-9160/12-fruits-veggies-with-the-most-pesticides-2013-dirty-dozen.html
    I try to buy those fruits and veggies organic, and if thats not available I double wash mine because I am a little paranoid.
    There is also a good fruit and veg wash made from citrus that is another option.

Spinach is such a great food, its fantastic you're getting so much of it!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    The only thing I can think of is that spinach is very very high up on the list of most sprayed produce…absolutely drowned in pesticides.
    Here is a list of the "dirty dozen"
    http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-9160/12-fruits-veggies-with-the-most-pesticides-2013-dirty-dozen.html
    I try to buy those fruits and veggies organic, and if thats not available I double wash mine because I am a little paranoid.
    There is also a good fruit and veg wash made from citrus that is another option.

Spinach is such a great food, its fantastic you're getting so much of it!

I think I am going to switch brands and start utilizing a wash such as you mention. It will be worth the extra step...
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    I suggest trying to get some red meat into your diet.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    I wash my spinach. I wash all my fruits and veggies. Consumer Reports reviewed "pre-washed" veggies and found high bacteria levels. So even if my spinach is supposedly already washed and clean, I wash it anyway.

My daily salads usually have a couple cups of spinach, if I'm eating spinach that week. Each weekend I buy enough spinach, kale, collard greens or dandelion to last me through the upcoming week, and I try to rotate between those four, although I like spinach the most so sometimes I'm having spinach every other week.
  • roxielu0422
    roxielu0422 Posts: 102 Member
    It's probably the fiber, but I agree, add some more protein to your diet as well. Congrats on eating that much spinach!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    I wash my spinach. I wash all my fruits and veggies. Consumer Reports reviewed "pre-washed" veggies and found high bacteria levels. So even if my spinach is supposedly already washed and clean, I wash it anyway.

My daily salads usually have a couple cups of spinach, if I'm eating spinach that week. Each weekend I buy enough spinach, kale, collard greens or dandelion to last me through the upcoming week, and I try to rotate between those four, although I like spinach the most so sometimes I'm having spinach every other week.

Sounds about right. Is that Consumer Reports article available online, or is it membership only?

Even though it is "pre-washed", it sounds like I need to igore that and treat it myself. We also eat kale, mixed spring variety lettuce, lots of veggies, etc... . I don't recall any bad side effects from other leafy greens than spinach. Last night, it came from a Dole bagged spinach. I'll wash the next batch for sure.

I am looking forward to summer and my own garden!!!

That link above to the Livestrong Foundation article on spinach was interesting as well. I'm getting a pretty good amount of protein on a daily basis. Sort of averaging around 20-21% of my diet from protein.