40 plus bodybuilding

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    At 50 now, but still maintaining my body after competing in my 20's.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    In.

43 this year, I lift 5 days a week as well as running 3-4 days a week ands whilst I have no wish to compete I want the overall look of a bodybuilder.
  • antizoni1
    antizoni1 Posts: 334
    count me in, I am 47 and very interested in this forum
  • mark525
    mark525 Posts: 18 Member
    Sounds like a good idea..I am 48 and have been lifting about 6 months. i could use some tips!
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    I'm in! I am 42 and I lift. I love it! As you age you need to really work on maintaining your joint flexibility, so a stretching routine is really important and something most people totally overlook. I stretch for 10 minutes at the end of every workout and I am WAY more flexible (and stronger!) than a lot of these 20 somethings I see at the gym!
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    57. Have been doing this most of my adult life and am stronger now than I have ever been. Age is just a number.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,926 Member
    Alrighty, I'll bite! I am 45 and have been free-weight-training for >2 years, now.
  • Count me in. I just turned 50 and started lifting weights 12 weeks ago. I am learning to love it--definitely love what it is doing for my body so far :-)
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    In. Because I am old. And because I lift all the weights.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Sure...I'm in. :happy:
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    I am in- found some gray today and will be lifting forever.
  • shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    So, what will the name of your group be? Looks like there are plenty of people to join and encourage!:happy:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I am just getting back into the gym after a 2 year layoff. and I don't want the body of a 46 year old.
    I want in

I think I heard you wrong. I think you meant to say, "I want the body of an AWESOME 46 year old." :drinker:
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    40 next week. I'm in!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    A family friend is over 60 and hes still jacked. I saw him last week and he was preacher curling his bodyweight. All natural.

Takes serious dedication and you wont prove that individual wrong for a couple years. Granted, you may look pretty fit after a while, but, you wont look like a bodybuilder overnight.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    I turned 60 two months ago. I'm not looking for a bodybuilder physique, but I'd like to get part way there. I'm in.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    In.
    Definitely get injured more easily, and longer recovery. Maybe closer to 'body shaping' than building.

Yes, totally in for "body shaping"!
  • jeffsweightloss
    jeffsweightloss Posts: 314 Member
    I'm n! Lift 5 days a week. Just trying 2 cut some fat. Will b 43 soon! Yippee! Lol lets do this!
  • leb01amg
    leb01amg Posts: 4 Member
    I'm in, I turn 45 this year:drinker:
  • cls78628
    cls78628 Posts: 6
    Simple strength training programs with progressive loading (increasing weight by small increments every workout) and compound exercises (squats, overhead press, bent-over rows, bench press, dead-lifts) work the best for me. I'm stronger after 40 than I was in my 20s, and that's saying a lot. However, I am focused on improving strength and athletic performance rather than bodybuilding.