Bulking booty

Replies

• Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    First, toning does not happen without muscle.

There are certain rules to follow. A certain percentage of weight is used based on what you can do one of. In other words, if you could do one squat with 100 lb, then you should use a certain percentage of that (depending on if you are working on strength or endurance and also if you are in a certain age group of women) and you would use that weight for a certain amount of repetitions, again, depending on what your goal is.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member

That's the awesome thing about being female and small...you don't need many calories to bulk...and you don't even have to think about it in the beginning. Now as a guy, I've only gained about 8 lbs over the last few months...and have had to increase calories by 100 or so every couple of pounds. I have a thread further down about this. I'm going to be closing in on about 3500 calories per day in order to bulk at a proper rate now. As a small woman, you don't need anywhere near that...and can still build muscle for a while without being super obsessive about it.

yeah and i guess im pretty lucky being small because i dont have to spend more money on food/tubs of protein lol. when i started out i was pretty stressed about the diet aspect because i thought i had to be obsessive with counting calories and such. if i have to consume a caloric surplus, i'd have to eat around 1700-2000 calories and i dont think i even have the appetite for that lol... tbh im not even sure if ive been eating that much every day since i started working out.

For 5-7 lbs gain in 3.5 months, you had to be at least in a true 200 calorie surplus on average. Anyway, great job. How much bigger do you want to go? (A woman can never have too big/muscular a butt or thighs, imho).
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    did u have to gain weight?

Hey...she answered that right above your post!
    ]]

I didn't refresh my page that's why I didn't see her last comment. Sorry I don't check this forum every 2 seconds. No need to shout. Ur Friggin rude.
  • Fithealthyforlife

]]

I didn't refresh my page that's why I didn't see her comment. Sorry I don't check this forum every 2 seconds. No need to shout. Friggin rude.

I wasn't shouting. "hey" is like "hi". And I'm only on here so much right now b/c I can't work out today due to a tight shoulder so I'm using my time for fitness related stuff..helping other people and getting advice for myself.
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member

]]

I didn't refresh my page that's why I didn't see her comment. Sorry I don't check this forum every 2 seconds. No need to shout. Friggin rude.

I wasn't shouting. "hey" is like "hi". And I'm only on here so much right now b/c I can't work out today due to a tight shoulder so I'm using my time for fitness related stuff..helping other people and getting advice for myself.

FYI ! is shouting
  • wargrrl
    wargrrl Posts: 76 Member

That's the awesome thing about being female and small...you don't need many calories to bulk...and you don't even have to think about it in the beginning. Now as a guy, I've only gained about 8 lbs over the last few months...and have had to increase calories by 100 or so every couple of pounds. I have a thread further down about this. I'm going to be closing in on about 3500 calories per day in order to bulk at a proper rate now. As a small woman, you don't need anywhere near that...and can still build muscle for a while without being super obsessive about it.

yeah and i guess im pretty lucky being small because i dont have to spend more money on food/tubs of protein lol. when i started out i was pretty stressed about the diet aspect because i thought i had to be obsessive with counting calories and such. if i have to consume a caloric surplus, i'd have to eat around 1700-2000 calories and i dont think i even have the appetite for that lol... tbh im not even sure if ive been eating that much every day since i started working out.

For 5-7 lbs gain in 3.5 months, you had to be at least in a true 200 calorie surplus on average. Anyway, great job. How much bigger do you want to go? (A woman can never have too big/muscular a butt or thighs, imho).

im not sure how much bigger i wanna get but i dont think ill be stopping anytime soon haha. maybe as big as i can get!
  • wargrrl
    Glute glory here:
    http://bretcontreras.com/
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth
    https://www.youtube.com/user/bretcontreras1
    The Glute Guy Bret Contreras has some research that suggests glute training may be more beneficial in the 20 rep range.

helpful links, thanks! might try hip thrusts soon
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Good progress. That's about a 0.36 lb gain per week on an 180 calorie surplus. Depending on how good your partitioning ratio is, you may be adding less calories, equal calories or more calories to lean mass than fat.

Just make sure for progress photos you wear the same clothing each time, stand the same distance from the mirror and position your body sideways without rotating your trunk. That way, you're seeing the development of the hamstrings and glutes from consistent angles. Good lighting is important as well. Lastly, try wearing colors that stick out from the background.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    :love: perfect lower body shape! thanks for sharing your workout routine, might be inspiring for someone else :flowerforyou:
  • wargrrl
    :love: perfect lower body shape! thanks for sharing your workout routine, might be inspiring for someone else :flowerforyou:

:smile:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    all questions in life can be answered with

"moar squatz"
  • There isn't such a thing as "toning" muscles. Looking "toned" is about improving your body composition by reducing fat mass while preserving the underlying muscle so it becomes visible.

To the girls you reference: some of them will do lighter resistance but train the glutes frequently with high volume of sets and reps. But if you are looking at optimizing gains in muscle mass, eating a calorie surplus with muscle hypertrophy training is a more efficient use of your time.

I'm at work but will PM you a research review which highlights the effects of training frequency, intensity and volume on muscle hypertrophy. The greatest gains come with the following:
    1). Train each muscle group 2-3 times per week.
    2). Train between 70-80% of your 1-rep max.
    3). Do 4-6 sets (per exercise) with total reps per muscle group between 40-60.

I agree and see what your saying but you prescribed a strength routine which doesn't necessarily represent hypertrophy (size).

Optimal range is around 6-12 repetitions (maybe 8-10 being most ideal) and I wouldn't consider 4-6 sets with total reps per muscle group between 40-60 to be volume(?). If you did two exercises for glutes with 5 sets and did 5 reps each set, that equals 50 reps for that muscle group.

Hypertrophy is the bodybuilding way to gain size, whereas time under tension (TUT) becomes more important. If you did the same thing going the standard route (3 sets, 10 reps), that's 60 after two exercises and even that is light volume.

I think strength and hypertrophy go hand in hand though and would recommend it for anybody. The method you gave is good but I'm just saying it's not what I know as "hypertrophy" so I'm a little confused.

Everything you said described a strength routine, where you're doing the same muscle groups three times a week instead of once a week. I know this site is all 5x5 and Scooby regurgitated over and over but Strength training (or should I say Power Lifting) is not the same as Hypertrophy (or Bodybuilding method).

Whatever works for you though and as long as your having fun then I support anybody. If you're hitting muscle failure and eating then chances are you're going to gain some size. I just thought the goal was getting a bigger booty and not increasing how much you can 1RM on a squat.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    well- 20 rep squat program is supposed to be a crazy size/strength gainer- and it's definitely NOT that 8-12 range (which I have heard is great for hypertrophy as well)

Shrug- there are many roads to pave to Rome.
  • I know but it's at least volume >.< Strength training has a different physiological effect and promotes different muscle fibers geared towards it. I think the principle behind volume is absolute fatigue.

But I hear ya. Apparently this guy named CT Fletcher trained arms every single day until they were like 22 inches or something hahaha. Who knows.

(Edit: He was also a world class powerlifter, total strength dude and a bit cray)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Check out 'strong curves' - think you'd like it :)

ETA: great progress pics btw
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    OP, you've had fantastic results. Why do you think you might be doing it wrong? Clearly, you're doing it right.

But, for what it is worth, I do a 10-12 (and a 10 full ROM, 5 half ROM on leg press) rep range for glutes and work between 70-80% of 1 rep max. In other words, you need to keep it heavy. The reason they use lighter weights in videos is so they can talk to you about the exercises. If they used the weight range they would normally use to do the exercises, they wouldn't be able to explain them. Demonstrative videos almost always use lower weight than the person generally lifts.

Amanda Latona has some of the best glutes in the business, and here's her accessory routine.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/round-and-round-amanda-latonas-glute-workout.html
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    This topic has made me realize I need to start doing squats...lol.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Glute glory here:
    http://bretcontreras.com/
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth
    https://www.youtube.com/user/bretcontreras1
    The Glute Guy Bret Contreras has some research that suggests glute training may be more beneficial in the 20 rep range.

helpful links, thanks! might try hip thrusts soon

Looks like you've already made great progress. You should also definitely check out Bret Contreras and do hip thrusts. Here is another article. This article is not saying to not do squats. It's just talking about how effective hip thrusts are, if you are trying to build glutes. http://bretcontreras.com/a-squat-devotee-no-more/
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    There isn't such a thing as "toning" muscles. Looking "toned" is about improving your body composition by reducing fat mass while preserving the underlying muscle so it becomes visible.

To the girls you reference: some of them will do lighter resistance but train the glutes frequently with high volume of sets and reps. But if you are looking at optimizing gains in muscle mass, eating a calorie surplus with muscle hypertrophy training is a more efficient use of your time.

I'm at work but will PM you a research review which highlights the effects of training frequency, intensity and volume on muscle hypertrophy. The greatest gains come with the following:
    1). Train each muscle group 2-3 times per week.
    2). Train between 70-80% of your 1-rep max.
    3). Do 4-6 sets (per exercise) with total reps per muscle group between 40-60.

I agree and see what your saying but you prescribed a strength routine which doesn't necessarily represent hypertrophy (size).
    I meant volume in reference to the 40-60 rep range. So yes, the example of doing 2 exercises x 5 sets x 5 reps = 50 total reps for the muscle group.

Here is the research review I mentioned. Chapters 2.0-2.5 and 4 is of interest.

http://www.carblesspostworkout.com/uploads/4/8/2/9/4829089/hypertrofie_training_review.pdf
  • Fithealthyforlife
    People always mention 80% of 1RM for hypertrophy. But that can take a lot out of ya...it's hard to keep progressive overload going like that. I say stick with strength or hypertrophy...or cycle between the two every few months. If you try to make a hypertrophy workout into a strength one or vice-versa you can do yourself in and burn out, speaking from experience. Can't do it all at the same time! But progressive overload trumps everything else, imho.