Bulk

Options
I've gained 3.6 pounds in 11 weeks (~.33) pounds per week. Averaged 2530 calories over that time. Good pace for my bulk? I wish I had started sooner as I want to cut for summer soon starting end of april

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    In to see what the experts say.:smile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    most people usually say to aim for .5 pound per week gain so that would be pretty close ….gaining/building muscle is a slow process…

maybe next time, time it to start for winter…so do a bulk from like November to February 1 and then slowly go back into a cut..?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    most people usually say to aim for .5 pound per week gain so that would be pretty close ….gaining/building muscle is a slow process…

maybe next time, time it to start for winter…so do a bulk from like November to February 1 and then slowly go back into a cut..?

I was going to bulk from August to February next time

that works too …

you could maybe use August to slowly increase calories until you are in a surplus…or just crank them up at same time ..I know sometimes when I just start adding 700 calories a day back in I feel pretty bloated for a few days….so I usually up it like 200 a week until I am in maintenance and or surplus...
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I've gained 3.6 pounds in 11 weeks (~.33) pounds per week. Averaged 2530 calories over that time. Good pace for my bulk? I wish I had started sooner as I want to cut for summer soon starting end of april

Depends on how much extra weight you want to carry really. Aiming for a 0.5lbs/week is a good starting point, then you can adjust from there. I had to increase my cals 3 times so far, because I wasn't adding any weight.

2530 seems a bit low, what kind of training are you doing?

I'm only 5"9, 178lbs, 31 years old, and I aim for over 3500 a day, with that goal, I've only added 5lbs in 3 months.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options

Depends on how much extra weight you want to carry really. Aiming for a 0.5lbs/week is a good starting point, then you can adjust from there. I had to increase my cals 3 times so far, because I wasn't adding any weight.

2530 seems a bit low, what kind of training are you doing?

I'm only 5"9, 178lbs, 31 years old, and I aim for over 3500 a day, with that goal, I've only added 5lbs in 3 months.

my workouts are based around deadlift, squat, bench and OHP with accessory stuff thrown in. I'm also 5'9'' and 174ish. I wanted to get up to 185 from 170 when I started but I did it wrong this time and won't make it there before the end of april (when I wanted to start a cut) until august and then eat at maybe 500 cals over maintenance until the end of summer and then bulk again in the fall and through the next winter.

To be honest, we're pretty much in the same boat. My routine revolves around the big lifts with a bodybuilding/accessory work afterwards. Started at 170 as well, going for about the same weight hahah, too funny.

So currently, like I had mentioned, i'm at 3500 daily, even trying for 4000, and finally seeing the scale move up better then what it was. At first, I was really underestimating my strength training routine, and also, trying to eat way to lean and clean, and it wasn't working.
  • lowfyr
    lowfyr Posts: 9
    Options
    I gained about 2 1/2 pounds in the last 3 weeks, it depends on the person... I have to agree with the other posters, your caloric intake seems really low.. i have about the same stats as you do and i have to take in 3.500kcal atleast.

And dont follow the sites advice with the nutrition attribution and go for something like 20%fats/40%carbs/40%protein
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Calories do seem a little low- but if you are seeing steady gain then it's working.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I've did the opposite and gained too fast :/

I think my goals were sound (gain 0.5 lb a week) but I tend to overeat when I have more calories.

Generally, men can gain 0.5 lb of muscle per week so I think you could get away with going for a 500 cal surplus ( for 1 lb a week gain). I say this as I faffed about for months at slightly above maintainance, trying to go for a lean bulk or 'recomp' to have no difference in body shape and stalling out on my lifts.

IMO, a clean bulk is the way to go - I'm seeing differences and getting PRs on my lifts - unfortunately, I won't know for sure till I cut. I'd say, eat more (but don't blame me if it goes pear-shaped =D).
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Calories do seem a little low- but if you are seeing steady gain then it's working.

Agreed.

I'm 5'11", 173 lbs. Gaining about .333 or so lbs per week on my running average.

I came off my long cut/recomp with my maintenance being around 2700-2800 in December. Started at 169 lbs and as of yesterday I bumped up to 3130 cals per day since I've been hovering around 173 lbs for past 3 weeks. I'll stick with that for a few weeks until my weight steadies off again and then add in an additional 100 cals or so per block.

If you're looking to stay lean while bulking, it sounds like you're working at a great pace to me.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Gainins 2 pounds per month is optimal. Doing it like that you will gain more leans muscle mass than fat! Good job anyways!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Agreed.

I'm 5'11", 173 lbs. Gaining about .333 or so lbs per week on my running average.

I came off my long cut/recomp with my maintenance being around 2700-2800 in December. Started at 169 lbs and as of yesterday I bumped up to 3130 cals per day since I've been hovering around 173 lbs for past 3 weeks. I'll stick with that for a few weeks until my weight steadies off again and then add in an additional 100 cals or so per block.

If you're looking to stay lean while bulking, it sounds like you're working at a great pace to me.

Ya man, I mean I might even just continue at the pace I am throughout the summer since I seem to be gaining around .333 a week and most of that should be muscle. It all new to me at this point so I'm just playing around with it, I just didn't want to get fat before the summer. A lean bulk might be the way to go until fall.

My split is 40/30/30 btw
    as you gain- you may need to up a little- remember that calorie goal is a moving target AND it's not a fixed number- i'ts a range- and as you gain- it goes up and as you lose- it goes down.

But like I said- if you are seeing consistent regulated gain- you're on the right path!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    If i were you i would be happy. whenever i try this, i just get fat.

if your gaining weight, i dont really see how it can be thought of as not enough calories.

Muscle builds very slowly. I'm willing to bet that even at that slow pace, a significant amount of the 3.6 gained is fat.

what does the mirror say? 3 lbs of fat should be almost unnoticable, but 3 lbs of muscle should make a visable difference

Could you have gained more muslce if you ate more? maybe, (i'm no expert) but i got to think that if your eating enough to gain weight... but its not a ton more calories then you've probably found a good amount of calories to eat
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    There is a good chance it could be.

you will definetly gain your most when you first start.

but if you put on 5 lbs of real muscle in a year (especially if your not new), thats a lot if you ask me
  • KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    It's not a bad pace. .5-1lb is the recommended average. Personally I prefer 1-2 lbs per week as I don't mind carrying a little extra weight off season. It's not a big deal once you know how to get rid of it. Don't forget the leaner you are when bulking, the better your body will take advantage of the excess cals through nutrient partitioning. I'm not sure what your BF is currently but I wouldn't let it go above 16%. 9-12% is ideal BF range for bulking. Also I'd change your macro ratios, 40/40/20 will get you there just fine, however during a bulk you can actually skimp on protein a bit due to carbs being protein sparing. Cutting is a little different where you should aim for 1-1.5g protein per lb of bodyweight to combat catabolism while being in a deficit.
    If you have limited carb sensitivity I'd go with something along the lines of 50/30/20 with your simple carbs being consumed around your workout, pre/post and taper them down in GI as the day goes on.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go ahead and start cutting for the summer, get down to a low BF %, maintain until offseason and use this time to plan your offseason training and diet down to a T. Have a plan going into it and stick to it.

When coming off your bulk remember newly developed muscle is like a baby, it's very fragile. Don't just go into a 1k cal deficit when you start your cut. SLOWLY reduce cals starting at -200, monitor and if no changes another 100, so on and so forth. Keep an inventory or fat burning "arsenal" at your disposal that consists of LISS cardio, fat burners, carb cycling etc for when your bodyfat is low and you start to plateau.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm going to disagree here a bit. 3.6 lbs in 11 weeks is not a bulk. It's a fine plan, but it's not bulking. A 3.6 lb gain is a single high-sodium meal. You are likely leaving potential gains on the table gaining that slowly. I am about your weight, and the calorie level you are eating is at (or slightly under) maintenance for me. If you are seeing steady weight progression, strength gains and minimal/no fat gains, then by all means keep doing what you're doing. But after 11 weeks you should be seeing some changes. The fat will fly off when it's time to cut so don't be nervous about gaining a few pounds. If you want to hit 185 in any kind of a reasonable timeframe (1 lb week or so), my experience has been you'll need to be around 3,000+ cals/day. Just my .02.