What is your WHY?

Options

Replies

• Toria718
    Toria718 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    my why really hit me this weekend, my grandmother passed away and was thin, outwardly she looked healthy. on the inside she hadnt been taking care of herself at all and passed from a heart attack. my cholesteral hasnt been tested in almost 2 years but since then I have lost weight, gained weight while pregnant and lost again. I do not want my family to bury me until I am at least into my 80's, hopefully older.
    my children are the most important thing to me, my son wants to do all of these active things and I want to do them with him. I am not going to let my insecurities scare me and tell me I can be invisible when I am heavier and be ok with that. I want to face my fears and tell them to shove it :smiley:
  • ajb600
    Options
    My why is so many things. Tired of feeling all the aches and pains of carrying around to much weight. Tired of becoming out of breath from walking short distances. Tired of sitting somewhere and catching myself in the mirror and not recognizing who I see. Tired of having a small number of clothes that still fit while refusing to get rid of all the clothes that don't... and not wanting to go by new because that would be acknowledging how big I was not to mention the humiliation of trying to find something in my size. Wanting more energy to do things with my wife and kids. Wanting to look good for my wife... I could go on and on.
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    As we close on 2014, there is no better time than now to truly think about why you want to improve yourself. HAve you given it any thought? Many of you have shared your why, but I know there are many more that have not. Even if you don't want to share publicly, at least take a moment to think about it and use that reason to propel yourself into the new year!
  • KimofTas
    KimofTas Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Chezzie84 wrote: »
    I want to be a fit mum not a fat mum.

I had my daughter at 36 yrs old so when my daughter starts school in 2016, I want to be the old, FIT mum waiting to collect her every day, NOT the old, FAT mum waiting to collect her and embarrassing her.

Also, the more I exercise, the more I lose, the more I feel like I can go out and do active things with her like swimming at the pool, going to the beach etc. Before, I would stay home a LOT more.

I also want to be around as long as I can to see her grow up and maybe even have kids of her own. I really don't want to leave her without a mum. That would be the saddest thing of all.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    KimofTas wrote: »
    Chezzie84 wrote: »
    I want to be a fit mum not a fat mum.

I had my daughter at 36 yrs old so when my daughter starts school in 2016, I want to be the old, FIT mum waiting to collect her every day, NOT the old, FAT mum waiting to collect her and embarrassing her.

Also, the more I exercise, the more I lose, the more I feel like I can go out and do active things with her like swimming at the pool, going to the beach etc. Before, I would stay home a LOT more.

I also want to be around as long as I can to see her grow up and maybe even have kids of her own. I really don't want to leave her without a mum. That would be the saddest thing of all.

Kids are our everything and probably one of the strongest motivators. Nothing is more scary than thinking that you will not have the opportunity to see your kids grow up or experience being a grandparent. My mother was fortunate that she was able to meet my children, and they were old enough to remember her, but her time ended way before it needed to. I don't want to be put in that position if I can avoid it. Keep pushing. You will reach your goals!
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I really needed this post today. Thanks!
  • ellisboyd1
    ellisboyd1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I might write an article about my 'why'. Ah what the hell, I'll just stick it here.

Truth is, I was a 24 year old virgin (ended up being a 26 year old one) and wanted to get laid. You're not really supposed to say that. You're supposed to say health, confidence and other wholesome things. Sure I wanted to feel good about myself, I wanted to date some girl instead of just being good friends all the time.

But first of all I wanted to get laid. without paying - that doesn't count.

I lost 47lbs, then gained 20lbs of muscle, then got laid an awful lot. You get this warped idea that every other guy is getting loads of sex with loads of beautiful girls; I felt like I'd missed out while being overweight, and had to make up time. In reality I hadn't missed out on much. The real killer was being invisible to girls because I was unattractive, rather than purely sex, but it took me 2 years & 74 girls to figure that out.

As regrets go, there are worse ones to have. Eventually I met up with one of those "good friends". She'd liked me all along, I just hadn't had the confidence to ask. we got engaged this Christmas.
  • jellybeanpumba
    jellybeanpumba Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My why is an 8 year old hazled eye blond hair boy named Elijah. I want to still be around when my son grows up. I want to be able to not only do things with him, but to feel like doing things with him! Also my mom has high blood pressure and diabetes. I don't want to have to face that later in life. Thank you for your post, it really got me thinking,
  • AwesomeKim29
    AwesomeKim29 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! You are exactly right…. I wouldn’t think about crossing for the $10 (risking my life for money), but in a heartbeat I would cross any bridge, mountain or ocean for my loved ones! This is what I have always done. I have always taken care of everyone else but never taking care of myself.

This year I resolve to take care of ME! I know it’s very cliché but in this new year my WHY is WHY NOT TAKE CARE OF ME??!!! Why do I put myself on the back burner? Why do I think I don’t matter? The truth is if I don’t take the time to take care of myself – then who will?

I matter and being healthy matters! I deserve all that life has to offer. So if losing this weight will help me to live a longer, healthy life – then let 2015 begin. I am ready to put myself at the front of the line! Here’s to a new year and a new me!

• ethibault1978
    ethibault1978 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Why, I'm cancer free, and i have 3 kids. I don't want my unhealthy life to cut my time with them. I also don't want my kids to have to deal with this problem when they are older.
  • Negriita2010
    Negriita2010 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    great post and my why...is i want to be a fun energetic mom to my daughter who is 7 months old i want to be able to take her for walks and to the park to run around and play i dont want to b a fat mom that just sits there and watches their kid play because im to fat to play with her...thats my main reason and the most important and well also to feel good about how i look
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I NEED TO DESERVE THE LIFE I AM BUILDING FOR MYSELF.

I NEED TO BE ABLE TO PHYSICALLY HANDLE THE FUTURE IM INVESTING IN.

I NEED TO PROVE THAT I AM THE KIND OF PERSON WHO DOES WHAT I SAY I WILL DO, ACHIEVES GREATER THINGS THAN I BELIEVE I CAN, TOPPLES THE OBSTACLES IN FRONT OF ME AND MARCHES OUT VICTORIOUS AT THE FINISH, WITH HEAD HELD HIGH.

I NEED TO CONFRONT MY FEARS OVER AND OVER UNTIL THEY ARE UNDER MY CONTROL.

I NEED TO LOOK BACK AT MY LIFE WHEN I AM OLD AND BADASS, AND NEVER THINK TO MYSELF, Self, you wasted all those years just sitting on the couch, wrapped in a blanket and saying, I don't really feel like being all the way alive today, maybe this weekend.

i had to fight for my freedom and fight for the right to my own life and I'll be ****ed if Im going to just halfass it or throw it away in favor of sitting somewhere comfortable.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    I love reading your respnses. keep them coming. You inspire me and many others to keep on pushing!
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I read a post in another forum that said she had realized that the lifestyle had become second nature and no longer felt like a diet. I think that is very inspiring to know we can reach that point in our life journey. I look forward to that day.
  • mscheesy77
    mscheesy77 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hello... New to this app and this is my first post...
    My why? Cause I fractured my back in 2010 and had 8 surgeries there after due to cysts in my lower back. I was 120 when I fractured my back now.... 160 possibly 170
  • mscheesy77
    mscheesy77 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Continued....
    I'm physically in pain now and take pills to stop the pain and have a neuro stimulator implanted in my back for those excruciating days. I'm tired of it and I want to stop feeling this way.

So 2015 was the year that I told myself that I'd have to change or go back to the hospital and be hooked on morphine again, which I really don't want to do.
    Today was day one. How do I feel? A little in pain but I have to keep reminding myself that its not always gonna hurt like this and have to continue for my benefit and wellbeing.
    Thanks for listening and for your awesome post.
  • MikePXstream
    edited January 2015
    Options
    mscheesy77 wrote: »
    Continued....
    I'm physically in pain now and take pills to stop the pain and have a neuro stimulator implanted in my back for those excruciating days. I'm tired of it and I want to stop feeling this way.

So 2015 was the year that I told myself that I'd have to change or go back to the hospital and be hooked on morphine again, which I really don't want to do.
    Today was day one. How do I feel? A little in pain but I have to keep reminding myself that its not always gonna hurt like this and have to continue for my benefit and wellbeing.
    Thanks for listening and for your awesome post.

Take it one day at a time, eat as clean as you possibly can, and your body will start to heal itself. Good luck to you, and let me know how I can help!
    DamitJanit wrote: »
    I read a post in another forum that said she had realized that the lifestyle had become second nature and no longer felt like a diet. I think that is very inspiring to know we can reach that point in our life journey. I look forward to that day.

That is always a great feeling. While my nutrition is not 100% yet, I feel that my fitness is. I worl out at least 5-6 days a week, unless I am sick, and actually feel bad if I don't exercise. So I make it a point to everyday. Exercise is my new addiction. Stick with it, and you will get there too :smile:
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    OP, that is a VERY excellent post and much food for thought (if you'll forgive the expression). I need to think about it before I define my WHY.
  • The_Fitness_Foodie
    The_Fitness_Foodie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    What an interesting thread.... Hmmm....

My WHY.... Hmm....

Oh my goodness, now I'm really struggling, I'm not sure I have a WHY.... I just decided on my 39th birthday (October 2012) I didn't want to be fat at 40, so here I am....

I started out weighing 321lb - 22st 13lb - 145.6kg back in November 2012 and now I weigh 162lb - 11st 8lb - 73.5kg and I'm 41.... I've achieved my WHY.

So I guess that brings me to a different WHY.... Why am I still trying to lose these last 12lb and improve my fitness....!?!

Because I have worked damn hard to get this far and I refuse to give up just short of my pre-set finish line.

I guess my WHY is because I just won't quit - I will get to my goal and I will be the person I set out to be....

xXx
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    doomspark wrote: »
    OP, that is a VERY excellent post and much food for thought (if you'll forgive the expression). I need to think about it before I define my WHY.
    Please take your time to think about it. The stronger your why is and the more emotion you can tie to it, the more solid your results will be!