What is your WHY?

Replies

• MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    What an interesting thread.... Hmmm....

My WHY.... Hmm....

Oh my goodness, now I'm really struggling, I'm not sure I have a WHY.... I just decided on my 39th birthday (October 2012) I didn't want to be fat at 40, so here I am....

I started out weighing 321lb - 22st 13lb - 145.6kg back in November 2012 and now I weigh 162lb - 11st 8lb - 73.5kg and I'm 41.... I've achieved my WHY.

So I guess that brings me to a different WHY.... Why am I still trying to lose these last 12lb and improve my fitness....!?!

Because I have worked damn hard to get this far and I refuse to give up just short of my pre-set finish line.

I guess my WHY is because I just won't quit - I will get to my goal and I will be the person I set out to be....

xXx

What an amazing transformation. You must feel incredible! Keep up the great work!

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    What an interesting thread.... Hmmm....

My WHY.... Hmm....

So I guess that brings me to a different WHY.... Why am I still trying to lose these last 12lb and improve my fitness....!?!

Because I have worked damn hard to get this far and I refuse to give up just short of my pre-set finish line.

I guess my WHY is because I just won't quit - I will get to my goal and I will be the person I set out to be....

xXx
    Good for you!!! and why should you quit? Many on here will tell you that they lose a little more than their goal, just to have a cushion. You should be very proud of yourself.
  • Mimikeki
    Mimikeki Posts: 12 Member
    Because I just turned 26 today, and I've been overweight my whole life. I've allowed - because yes, it was an unconscious choice on my part - I've allowed my weight to yo-yo.
    A pattern of temporary successes and fails.

I've recently been feeling anxious, happier to stay in and not mix with friends as much, and uncomfortable in my skin. This is not me!
    So I must make a permanent change for my health's sake. I want to enjoy shopping for clothes and feel vibrant again.
  • MikePXstream
    @Mimikeki get out and be you! No need to hide. You were meant for a greater purpose I am sure!
  • Mimikeki
    Mimikeki Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks Mike, that's a really nice thing to say :)
  • Having an ex-husband is for sure the biggest kick in the butt to get this done!!
    I got married 7 years ago and just being in a relationship with him (entertainment for us was all about eating out) I have gained 10 kilos!! Having my first little girl added another 10 kilos to the bundle!! Putting up with my in-laws was a further 6 kilos!! And finally divorcing him with a court battle lasting for over an year, added another 10 kilos!!
    My divorce was announced on the 31st of December 2014, just in time to kickstart my fitness goal of being 61 kilos once again!!
    It's been 13 days and -6 kilos later and I am super committed!!
  • rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    edited January 2015
    * The little girl inside of me has had enough abuse; it's time to unravel her cocoon and spread her wings...
    * I'm tired of being the fattest family member
    * I'm sick of using my body as a fat suit. A security blanket.
    * I don't want to follow in the footsteps of my diabetic, high blood pressured relatives
    * I should be able to pick the men I'm attracted to and not accept those who date "big women"
    * I deserve to walk into a normal sized store and come out with more than shoes and jewelry.
    * I've hidden myself for far too long and I'm over being invisible
    * I deserve more self-love and attention that what I've given myself in the past
  • MikePXstream
    * The little girl inside of me has had enough abuse; it's time to unravel her cocoon and spread her wings...
    * I'm tired of being the fattest family member
    * I'm sick of using my body as a fat suit. A security blanket.
    * I don't want to follow in the footsteps of my diabetic, high blood pressured relatives
    * I should be able to pick the men I'm attracted to and not accept those who date "big women"
    * I deserve to walk into a normal sized store and come out with more than shoes and jewelry.
    * I've hidden myself for far too long and I'm over being invisible
    * I deserve more self-love and attention that what I've given myself in the past

I love this. I can tell you really put some thought into this. Now, Dig deeper. Think about how you will feel when you are the leaner family member, when your body is no longer a security blanket, your free from the thoughts of contracting diabetes or high blood pressure,and that you are visible to the world the way you want to be seen. What will that be like? What will you be able to accomplish with your new you? Once you can feel that and envision your freedom, use that fire, that passion to push you through. have faith and believe in yourself!

This goes for everyone! When you can envision how it will make you feel to accomplish your goals, or even get one step closer, and you use that emotion to fuel your desire to be better than you were yesterday, you will succeed!
  • MikePXstream
    Alright, so we are almost through the first month of the year. I am sure many people found their why, or perhaps found a new why for eating better, exercising more, and wanting to live a healthier life. How many of you are still on track? How many of you set a New Years resolution and are holding true to that? If you haven't gotten derailed, you have a choice. You can either get back on track and keep moving forward, or give up. I am not one to give up, so I encourage you to keep going. As Zig Zigler says, "You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great!"
  • Leeanncalloway
    Leeanncalloway Posts: 10 Member
    I want to be 'the hot mom' again.
    I want to wear the beautiful clothes that have been hanging in the extra closet for 3 years.
    I don't want to feel insecure or inferior when I'm out with my man and another woman comes around.(my feelings-nothing he says or does)
    I love my kids and want to be a good example for them.
    I want to see my friends that I've been avoiding since I gained weight.
    I want to live a long healthy life and am afraid that if I continue gaining weight, I won't be able to do the things I enjoy.
    I know these are superficial, but they are working for me.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    edited January 2015
    I like doing things, challenging myself, a little on the OCD side, love cycling, bad knees from skiing that the cycling helps with, not a fan of continued growth after I was supposed to stop growing. Add to that, I recently got married to a wife who also likes to exercise had this evil plan to get her addicted to cycling.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Death? I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 3 months after my younger brother passed away(not diabetes related). I saw the pain that my family and I went through and are still going thru and I don't want to put that much pain on them again because I didn't take control.
  • JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    • Weight related illnesses such as Diabetes and Cardiovascular disease run in my family
    • I want to be the kind of nurse that people respect. How can I tell someone to eat healthy and lose weight when I'm clearly not?
    • I don't want to miss out on experiences due to weight limits or embarrassment
    • I want to have kids in the next 10 years and I need to be healthy to do so
    • I want to love what I see in the mirror for the first time in my life
    • I don't want to be embarrassed to see old friends or even family

With all these reasons it's amazing that I haven't been able to stick to a plan....I can only hope this time I do.
  • I want to see my son grow up and have babies! I want to be able to ride bikes with him over the summer and not worry that I can't keep up! I want these things so badly, but I am terrified as well. My weight has been a protection for me since I ended an emotionally and otherwise abusive relationship. For me, this is about getting a piece of my former self back. My why is me. I am taking the last bit of control back from him. It's been over ten years, it's time to stop letting him make me feel scared!
  • MamaC77
    MamaC77 Posts: 104 Member
    My "why" is because I want to live a long healthy life with my family. I want my children to see me as a strong,confident person and not the woman who hates things about herself. They deserve a mom who wants to do the things they want without feeling so tired and lazy. I don't have a lot of weight to lose but I have a lot of work to do to be in the shape I need to be in to be the best mom to them.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    -I already have skin problems and carrying all this weight makes it more painful
    -I only have two pairs of jeans that i feel Good in but there not even jeans there jeggings :\
    -I want to live a long time. . My family has history of heart problems
    - I want to believe I am beautiful not just hear It

This was a great post made my day :smile:
  • MikePXstream
    -I already have skin problems and carrying all this weight makes it more painful
    -I only have two pairs of jeans that i feel Good in but there not even jeans there jeggings :\
    -I want to live a long time. . My family has history of heart problems
    - I want to believe I am beautiful not just hear It

This was a great post made my day :smile:
    I'm glad my post made your day. Stay consistent, seek support, and you will achieve your goals. Please let me know if I can help!
    MamaC77 wrote: »
    My "why" is because I want to live a long healthy life with my family. I want my children to see me as a strong,confident person and not the woman who hates things about herself. They deserve a mom who wants to do the things they want without feeling so tired and lazy. I don't have a lot of weight to lose but I have a lot of work to do to be in the shape I need to be in to be the best mom to them.
    I'm sure you are a great mom already and your children should be honored to have you in their lives. You can do it. Harness that strength, and become the person you were meant to be.

Thank you for sharing :)
  • MikePXstream
    Is it springtime yet? I'm getting tired of running in 20 degree weather.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Why???

Then-my why was pure vanity..looking good, smaller clothes, and feeling better about myself. My mentality was that the "diet" had a start and end date.

Now- my why is pure health and fitness. I do not want to have any of the major problems that are associated with aging. (I have always had high blood pressure and currently have ONE prescription med.) My mentality is that eating less/moving more is my lifestyle..not a race and no finish line.
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    My updated why? I am so close to my goal...just 5lbs to the upper end of my healthy weight and just 15 to my final goal. I have made it this far. Cannot give up now.

I am with you...bring on Spring! I am itching to get off the treadmill and back outdoors. Hopefully this weekend it will be warm enough for me to run outdoors.