I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Replies

• leoboyten
    leoboyten Posts: 9 Member
    Amazing journey thanks for sharing, you really look awesome and your hard work has definitely paid off. So I would say that I have a slow metabolism in the regards that if I eat more than 1000 cal I gain weight, if I go under I lose weight. I'm not restricting calories on purpose, I just don't get hungry, i've been using MFP to try and be more consistent and eat more. Also I've been using MFP for 56 days to track calories and I've lost over 28 pounds.
    Male
    5'11"
    Weight 143
    Never worked out before, have done cardio in the past. I still have fat to lose, and I'd probably be down to like 122 pounds by the time I lose all the fat I wanted too. I want to start the ice cream fitness 5 x 5 that you've talked about in so many posts. If I started that workout what would do you think would be realistic calorie intake that would still allow me to keep losing fat?
    Thanks
    James
  • LatishaPowell
    LatishaPowell Posts: 2 Member
    Good morning/afternoon, sir.

First of all; amazing work. Stupendous. You are a perfect example of work hard, sir. I have a rather long question for you. I did a ton of research, before getting started with my fitness a few weeks ago and now it's been a little over a week and I'm already seeing results with a change to my diet and exercise, but I would like your opinion on my setup, if possible.

My source of information is always bodybuilding.com, and I fill in any gaps of information with wikipedia and webmd, as well as my doctor.

Btw, I'm 5'8'' at 280 lbs. Female. BMI is around 2250, currently. I try to stick to around 1200 calories a day, with 150g of protein and 100g of carbs, as less sugar as possible. Only taking Multivitamins, Optimum Gold Whey 100% Protein, and Fish Oil capsules as supplements, so far. Thinking of adding Hydrolean or some diet pill to top it to help with weight loss/fat loss. Metabolism booster of some sort. Also, when we can. My other half and I try to squeeze in an hour of Tennis. Seldom, because of our schedule, but we try. lol

I go to the gym and alternate these routine lifts every other day, with 3 sets of 15 reps, using the rule that if 12 reps are too easy, add 5 lbs. and if 8 is unacheivable, remove 5 lbs.:

***Day 1, 3, 5, and 7***

Abdominal/Back Extension, Machine, Seated
    85 lbs.
    Works the Abs (rectus abdominis), Inner and Outer Abs (internal and external obliques), and the Spine (erector spinae)

Arm Extension, Machine, Seated
    25 lbs.
    Works the Rear Upper Arm (triceps brachii)

Arm Curl, Machine, Seated
    25 lbs.
    Works the Front Upper Arm (biceps brachii), Elbow (brachialis), and the Forearm (brachioradialis)

Overhead Press, Machine, Seated
    30lbs.
    Works the Shoulder Fronts, (anterior deltoids), Shoulder Middle, (lateral deltoids), and the Rear Upper Arm (triceps brachii)

Pulldown, Machine, Seated
    55 lbs.
    Works the Lats (latissimus dorsi), Shoulder Lower (teres major), Middle Traps (transverse trapezius), Lower Traps (inferior trapezius), Middle Back (transverse trapezius), and the Front Upper Arm (biceps brachii)

Chest Press, Machine, Seated
    25 lbs
    Works the Chest (pectoralis major), Shoulder Fronts (anterior deltoids), and the Rear Upper Arm (triceps brachii)

Seated Leg Curl, Machine
    45 lbs.
    Works the Hamstrings (biceps femoris)

Leg Extension, Machine, Seated
    40 lbs.
    Works the Quads (quadriceps)

***Day 2, 4, 6, and sometimes 7***

Torso Rotation, Machine, Seated
    60 lbs.
    Inner and Outer Abs (internal and external obliques), Abs (rectus abdominis), and the Spine (erector spinae)

Hip Abduction, Machine, Seated
    100 lbs.
    Upper Glutes (gluteus maximus), Lower Glutes (gluteus medius), Inner Glutes (piriformis), and the Inner Thigh Front (tensor fasciae latae)

Hip Adduction, Machine, Seated
    100 lbs.
    Inner Thigh Upper (adductor brevis, pectineus), Inner Thigh Middle (adductor longus, pectineus), and the Inner Thigh Lower (adductor magnus, pectineus)

Calf Extension, Machine, Seated
    105 lbs
    Calves (gastrocnemius) and the Rear Lower Calves (soleus)

Hammer Strength (Row), Machine, Seated
    30 lbs
    Upper Traps (superior trapezius), Middle Traps (transverse trapezius), Lower Traps (inferior trapezius), Shoulder Rear (teres major), Middle Back (rhomboids), Front Upper Arm (biceps brachii), and the Lats (latissimus dorsi)

Deficit Deadlift, Barbell, Standing
    50 lbs.
    Lower Back (lower rhomboids), Forearms (brachioradialis), Upper Glutes (gluteus maximus), Lower Glutes (gluteus medius), Inner Glutes (piriformis), Hamstrings (biceps femoris), Middle Back (rhomboids), Quads (quadriceps), and the Upper Traps (superior trapezius), Middle Traps (transverse trapezius), and the Lower Traps (inferior trapezius)

Monkey Shrug, Dumbbell, Standing
    25 lbs.
    Upper Traps (superior trapezius)

Neck Plate Resistance, Lying Face Up
    10 lbs.
    Neck Front (sternocleidomastoid)

Neck Plate Resistance, Lying Face Down
    10 lbs.
    Neck Rear (splenius capitis)

The main muscles targeted are higher on the list. I did quite a bit of research, but I think more is needed. Apologies for any missing information, but this is basically, what I do every single day. I'm seeing more and more that a couple of rest days are needed, but I feel great and have already added 5 lbs. to a few lifts already, in just a week. Only lost 9 lbs. so far, but I'm willing to go the distance. ^_^

Sorry for the long post. No potato, if you're familiar with 9Gag. lol
  • LatishaPowell
    LatishaPowell Posts: 2 Member
    Also, I use MyFitnessPal and my Fitbit Charge HR, religiously.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    sarajp92 wrote: »
    Woweee you've done great! I notice from your diary its not just ice creams you love, are corndogs your secret really?
    They aren't a secret, they are just a food I've been eating lately.
    leoboyten wrote: »
    Amazing journey thanks for sharing, you really look awesome and your hard work has definitely paid off. So I would say that I have a slow metabolism in the regards that if I eat more than 1000 cal I gain weight, if I go under I lose weight. I'm not restricting calories on purpose, I just don't get hungry, i've been using MFP to try and be more consistent and eat more. Also I've been using MFP for 56 days to track calories and I've lost over 28 pounds.
    Male
    5'11"
    Weight 143
    Never worked out before, have done cardio in the past. I still have fat to lose, and I'd probably be down to like 122 pounds by the time I lose all the fat I wanted too. I want to start the ice cream fitness 5 x 5 that you've talked about in so many posts. If I started that workout what would do you think would be realistic calorie intake that would still allow me to keep losing fat?
    Thanks
    James
    At 5'11 you do not need to lose any weight. Getting down to 122 lbs would make you rather underweight. If you still feel you have too much fat at your current height and weight, the problem is more likely that you lack lean body mass, rather than have lots of excess fat. What I would do is attempt to gain around 0.5 lbs a week for at least the next year. Do this in conjunction with adequate protein intake and a lifting program. You will gain some lean mass and it will likely make you look even leaner. As to how many calories to eat, that will be determined by trial and error. Ideally you want to be gaining 1/2 a lb a week but in your case, you could afford to gain a little faster, at least at first.
  • vismal
    Good morning/afternoon, sir.

First of all; amazing work. Stupendous. You are a perfect example of work hard, sir. I have a rather long question for you. I did a ton of research, before getting started with my fitness a few weeks ago and now it's been a little over a week and I'm already seeing results with a change to my diet and exercise, but I would like your opinion on my setup, if possible.

My source of information is always bodybuilding.com, and I fill in any gaps of information with wikipedia and webmd, as well as my doctor.

Btw, I'm 5'8'' at 280 lbs. Female. BMI is around 2250, currently. I try to stick to around 1200 calories a day, with 150g of protein and 100g of carbs, as less sugar as possible. Only taking Multivitamins, Optimum Gold Whey 100% Protein, and Fish Oil capsules as supplements, so far. Thinking of adding Hydrolean or some diet pill to top it to help with weight loss/fat loss. Metabolism booster of some sort. Also, when we can. My other half and I try to squeeze in an hour of Tennis. Seldom, because of our schedule, but we try. lol

I go to the gym and alternate these routine lifts every other day, with 3 sets of 15 reps, using the rule that if 12 reps are too easy, add 5 lbs. and if 8 is unacheivable, remove 5 lbs.:

***Day 1, 3, 5, and 7***

Abdominal/Back Extension, Machine, Seated
    85 lbs.
    Works the Abs (rectus abdominis), Inner and Outer Abs (internal and external obliques), and the Spine (erector spinae)

Arm Extension, Machine, Seated
    25 lbs.
    Works the Rear Upper Arm (triceps brachii)

Arm Curl, Machine, Seated
    25 lbs.
    Works the Front Upper Arm (biceps brachii), Elbow (brachialis), and the Forearm (brachioradialis)

Overhead Press, Machine, Seated
    30lbs.
    Works the Shoulder Fronts, (anterior deltoids), Shoulder Middle, (lateral deltoids), and the Rear Upper Arm (triceps brachii)

Pulldown, Machine, Seated
    55 lbs.
    Works the Lats (latissimus dorsi), Shoulder Lower (teres major), Middle Traps (transverse trapezius), Lower Traps (inferior trapezius), Middle Back (transverse trapezius), and the Front Upper Arm (biceps brachii)

Chest Press, Machine, Seated
    25 lbs
    Works the Chest (pectoralis major), Shoulder Fronts (anterior deltoids), and the Rear Upper Arm (triceps brachii)

Seated Leg Curl, Machine
    45 lbs.
    Works the Hamstrings (biceps femoris)

Leg Extension, Machine, Seated
    40 lbs.
    Works the Quads (quadriceps)

***Day 2, 4, 6, and sometimes 7***

Torso Rotation, Machine, Seated
    60 lbs.
    Inner and Outer Abs (internal and external obliques), Abs (rectus abdominis), and the Spine (erector spinae)

Hip Abduction, Machine, Seated
    100 lbs.
    Upper Glutes (gluteus maximus), Lower Glutes (gluteus medius), Inner Glutes (piriformis), and the Inner Thigh Front (tensor fasciae latae)

Hip Adduction, Machine, Seated
    100 lbs.
    Inner Thigh Upper (adductor brevis, pectineus), Inner Thigh Middle (adductor longus, pectineus), and the Inner Thigh Lower (adductor magnus, pectineus)

Calf Extension, Machine, Seated
    105 lbs
    Calves (gastrocnemius) and the Rear Lower Calves (soleus)

Hammer Strength (Row), Machine, Seated
    30 lbs
    Upper Traps (superior trapezius), Middle Traps (transverse trapezius), Lower Traps (inferior trapezius), Shoulder Rear (teres major), Middle Back (rhomboids), Front Upper Arm (biceps brachii), and the Lats (latissimus dorsi)

Deficit Deadlift, Barbell, Standing
    50 lbs.
    Lower Back (lower rhomboids), Forearms (brachioradialis), Upper Glutes (gluteus maximus), Lower Glutes (gluteus medius), Inner Glutes (piriformis), Hamstrings (biceps femoris), Middle Back (rhomboids), Quads (quadriceps), and the Upper Traps (superior trapezius), Middle Traps (transverse trapezius), and the Lower Traps (inferior trapezius)

Monkey Shrug, Dumbbell, Standing
    25 lbs.
    Upper Traps (superior trapezius)

Neck Plate Resistance, Lying Face Up
    10 lbs.
    Neck Front (sternocleidomastoid)

Neck Plate Resistance, Lying Face Down
    10 lbs.
    Neck Rear (splenius capitis)

The main muscles targeted are higher on the list. I did quite a bit of research, but I think more is needed. Apologies for any missing information, but this is basically, what I do every single day. I'm seeing more and more that a couple of rest days are needed, but I feel great and have already added 5 lbs. to a few lifts already, in just a week. Only lost 9 lbs. so far, but I'm willing to go the distance. ^_^

Sorry for the long post. No potato, if you're familiar with 9Gag. lol
    The bodybuilding.com main site is not a good site to find workouts. They are a supplement store. Their workouts are based around theories that drive supplement sales. While the one you found actually isn't the worst I've seen since it does have you target all body parts at least twice a week, it's still lacking. I prefer a proven beginners routine that focuses on basic compound movements, The odds a beginner is going to do a deficit deadlift properly are very low. Also, 3 sets of 15 reps is too high of a rep range to use for every single lift you are doing. I much prefer a 5x5 for beginners. Look up the ICF 5x5, stronglifts 5x5, or starting strength. Any of those 3 are far better in my opinion.
  • leoboyten
    leoboyten Posts: 9 Member
    Male
    5'11"
    Weight 143
    Thanks
    James
    At 5'11 you do not need to lose any weight. Getting down to 122 lbs would make you rather underweight. If you still feel you have too much fat at your current height and weight, the problem is more likely that you lack lean body mass, rather than have lots of excess fat. What I would do is attempt to gain around 0.5 lbs a week for at least the next year. Do this in conjunction with adequate protein intake and a lifting program. You will gain some lean mass and it will likely make you look even leaner. As to how many calories to eat, that will be determined by trial and error. Ideally you want to be gaining 1/2 a lb a week but in your case, you could afford to gain a little faster, at least at first.
    [/quote]

I really appreciate you giving honest feedback, what would be the best way to track my body fat %? I have a scale, but I read they are not accurate at all!
    Thanks
    James
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Great job. Keep it up. :)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Great job. Keep it up. :)
  • vismal
    Male
    5'11"
    Weight 143
    Thanks
    James

I really appreciate you giving honest feedback, what would be the best way to track my body fat %? I have a scale, but I read they are not accurate at all!
    Thanks
    James [/quote]Don't bother with trying to track body fat percentage. Most ways to track it are incredibly inaccurate. The ways that are accurate are expensive. If you are gaining the weight slowly, and your lifts are going up in the gym, then you should be fine.

• jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Great achievement!!! Well done you. You are fine the way you are now so don't listen to negative comments, that's if you get any. If you can do it then anyone can so that is encouragement in itself. One little question....... Do you use a sunbed???
    I've lost 10kg in one month, I don't want to go back to that "Big Momma" that looked at me in the mirror as I walked by. I have to watch the exercises I do cos I had four c-sections and tend to get pain under my scar if I over stretch that area or overdo. Probably because I got lazy in exercise. Started strength training yesterday and OMG did my legs and arms feel like jelly, lol.
    Enough about me! What was your inspiration to lose weight, get really fit and tone up?
  • Edmundfkc
    Edmundfkc Posts: 1 Member
    Great achievement! I've started myself on an exercise regime and have since gone from 78 kg (Aug 14) to 71 kg (Apr 15). I feel really healthy and I've cut my shirt (L to M) and pant size (37" - 33")! I'm currently doing cardio (runs and HIIT), as well as body weight exercises (such as chin ups) and free weight lifting to increase my muscle mass. I have been eating whole foods and supplementing with a protein isolate BUT so far my shoulders are broader but so far not much muscle gains at all in other areas. Any idea what I might be missing in my routine?
  • Boskind27
    Boskind27 Posts: 8 Member
    hi can you maybe advise what is the good percentages for weight loss. % of carbs, protein and fat?
  • Alecia329
    Alecia329 Posts: 10 Member
    you go glenn coco!
  • Jaegur
    Jaegur Posts: 80 Member
    Too awesome, man. I'm your height, but got about 80lbs on your starting weight, unfortunately. I've used MFP in the past and lost around 50lbs, but then *kitten* happens and as always, it rolls downhill.

Anyway, quick question! What do you think of Kettlebell workouts? I've just recently started looking into them, and with my schedule they will be ideal, if the talk on them is accurate.
  • abhisheksengupta
    abhisheksengupta Posts: 28 Member
    edited May 2015
    Hey Vismal,

Every now and then you read and come across different techniques for achieving fitness goals to lose fat and build muscle and I would like to understand the concept better and would know your opinions on these whether they sound/seem plausible or futile.

1. Pairing Strength Training (5x5) (3x a week) with HIIT to lose fat (2x): Doing them on different days to reduce impact on recovery?

2. High calorie - Low calorie days: A recomp technique which suggests you eat 10% above maintenance on training days and 20% below maintenance on rest days.

3. HIIT based Nutrient Partitioning: That HIIT promotes energy be delivered to the muscle promoting muscle growth from strength training and fat loss.

4. Eating majority of carbs around workout only.

Also for someone beginning out with low LBM, can fixing a diet, say from 60g protein to 130g protein a day, progressively lead to increase in muscle even on a cut? Similarly does a beginner with under 6 months of weight training experience noticable muscle gains on a cut?
  • asayrtransport
    asayrtransport Posts: 7 Member
    Wowowooowowow!!!! That's extremely awesome. How did u have motivation to keep u going?

And I want to lose but I don't know if i should lift or just do cardio because I love my curves and i just want to lose the excess weight. I don't know if I will lose my curves if I start lifting or keep doing cardio.How would lifting affect me ?

• vismal
    jace1100 wrote: »
    Too awesome, man. I'm your height, but got about 80lbs on your starting weight, unfortunately. I've used MFP in the past and lost around 50lbs, but then *kitten* happens and as always, it rolls downhill.

Anyway, quick question! What do you think of Kettlebell workouts? I've just recently started looking into them, and with my schedule they will be ideal, if the talk on them is accurate.
    Kettlebell workouts are fine. I prefer barbell/dumbbell workouts myself but any form of resistance training that targets all body parts 2-3 times a week, and incorporates progressive tension overload (lifting heavier weight over time) will work. My main issue with kettlebells is that they target certain areas much more effectively than others.
    Wowowooowowow!!!! That's extremely awesome. How did u have motivation to keep u going?

And I want to lose but I don't know if i should lift or just do cardio because I love my curves and i just want to lose the excess weight. I don't know if I will lose my curves if I start lifting or keep doing cardio.How would lifting affect me ?
    I kept move motivation initially because I liked my results. Now it's more of an internal motivation. I do it because I actually want to and enjoy it. I would feel less satisfied if I didn't. As far as lifting vs not, if you want to keep your curves LIFT LIFT LIFT LIFT LIFT LIFT LIFT LIFT! lol Doing cardio only combined with a caloric deficit will cause you to lose fat as well as lean tissue. No matter what, losing weight typically causes women to have their boobs shrink and their butts get smaller. Lifting won't help the boob situation but it can make a BIG difference in sparing the glutes!

• Jaegur
    Jaegur Posts: 80 Member
    I plan on making that kettlebell, and the heavier ones to follow, my best friends. Getting to the gym is a bit rough because of my work (I drive a truck 10 hours a day, which doesn't help at all).

If you don't mind, I had some more questions for you! I checked out your dumbed-down video on macros, but I'm still just a little confused. I weigh around 390 right now, and according to MFP I should be intaking about 2460 calories a day, based on my job which is sitting a lot. I went for the Sedentary because I figure my workouts don't really count.

Now, if I go by your numbers, it's like over 3k calories a day, which seems much, while 2460 seems low. Any thoughts?

(In case you need aditional info)

I'm 33, male, 390, 6ft 1inches, and a gemini. My heaviest was 427 and I've gotten back down to about 369, before cake.

Thanks again for any advice, it's greatly appreciated!
  • NasrinNassiri
    NasrinNassiri Posts: 1 Member
    vismal wrote: »
    I've always wanted to do an AMA so I thought I'd set one up here. The basics about my story are that I went from 315lbs to 195 and have been making small gains in muscles/losses to fat ever since. Ask me anything, anything at all!
    fat+skinny+fit.jpg

Add me as a friend on here too!

• crucibleofwill
    crucibleofwill Posts: 37 Member
    Impressive results and commitment, OP. Congrat!
    vismal wrote: »
    andysport1 wrote: »
    Vismal I have been following this thread same as everyone well done.

My situation I'm 5 10 226lb want to be 145lb or look good, I want maybe just a small amount of definition in my abs and biceps which weight program would you suggest.
    I recommend most people who are new to lifting do the "Ice Cream Fitness 5x5". Stronglifts 5x5 and starting strength are also both good choices.

rbohac wrote: »
    How did you come up with your nutritional goals (Calories, carb, fat & protein ratios). How did that change along the way and why?
    I have my own way of calculating I came up with through lots of reading and trial and error. This video explains how I do it:

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!