Seeking Genuine Help, Need It Badly!

Options
Hey guys, how’s it going?

I’m new here, looking for some advice on what I ought to be doing to gain muscle, be toned, and overall look healthy through the right means than to sit down and scarf down high calorie junk to put on weight.

Here’s my story through short bullets to seek out as much help as I can get without boring people to tears and I’ll elaborate if anyone is kind enough to be interested in helping me out. I’m… pretty desperate and in need of advice.

* I’m 21 years old, transsexual male.
* I weigh in from 100 – 106 lbs. Yes, I’m underweight and no I don’t have an eating disorder. I am 5’7’’ and boney.
* I have Gastroparesis which was horrible to manage the first year (diagnosed with it last year) but found ways to where I can actually have some natural bowel movements without relying on laxatives since other forms of medication didn’t work like miralax, linzess, and so on. My Gastroparesis condition left me to waste away with no nutrient absorbtion, I never vomit and I’m scared of the thought, I just feel horribly sick and uninterested in food if I feel backed up, so I generally consume 600-1000 calories a day if I’m lucky to reach 1000 on a good day.
* After experimenting on what foods I can sort of digest, I found out that being vegetarian is easier on my stomach and bowels. I do try to sneak in some pieces of fish and chicken if it smells good enough to me, but generally I treat myself to fish on special occasions. Chicken is VERY rare for me to eat, same for red meat. I try to sneak in things that I miss eating but I choose vegetarian/pescatarian for the sake of my bowels.
* I work in a warehouse 4 days a week, 10 hour shifts (technically, if I were to log in my exercise, it would be 9 hours of working on my feet. I get two 15 minute breaks and 30 minutes for lunch). I stand at a station scanning in products quickly, I walk a couple of steps at my station back and forth to keep pulling in the boxes of product, so I’m not just standing there entirely like a cashier, I do a lot of moving in one place with my arms and a few with my legs walking back and forth. I need to know how many calories I’m burning a night roughly so I can take that into consideration with bulking up if anyone could help out?
* I have a lot of loose skin from my weight loss. A year or two ago, I was 190-200 lbs. Yeah. I’m 100-106lbs now as I’ve said. Yipes, I know, I’m trying my best to fix it!

Goals?
* Be at a healthy weight.
* Look healthy.
* Gain muscle and be toned.

So, advice on a calorie goal for me? I’m planning on working out with Davina’s Fit in 15 on my off days since I suspect I’m doing a bit of a workout at work and I shouldn’t be losing anymore calories seeing as I have a hard time bulking up on my nights to work and I don’t like working on a full stomach since my digestive system is out of whack. I eat lightly, enough to keep me good but not full to the point I’m sick.

I’m really struggling here and I want to beat this unhealthy lifestyle that just fell on me out of nowhere. I need to shape up, and I need help… anyone, please, point me in the right direction, give me a little bit of a plan to help me sculpt up. Any fitness DVDs to try out with good results with muscle and tone? How much should I be eating to be healthy? Anything to help me out guys. I’m really counting on ya’ll…

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Hello :-)
    I really don't have any useful tips for you, as I'm not an expert on your Medical condition and such. But personally,I would definitely think that you should eat at a surplus and maybe add in some form of strength training, if it's okay with your doctor.
    I hope you find the answers your looking for!! Your in the right place :-) best of luck!!

Hugs!
  • danahubley
    danahubley Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wow! You have had a lot to deal with. I can't help with the sculpting but if you need a friend to encourage you let me know. I would recommend seeing a dietician to help you set a calorie goal and maybe assist with foods that would be good for your Gastroparesis. I wish you well. I hope you can find others who have some strategies you can use.
  • bananyan
    bananyan Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello! That's totally fine, I understand and appreciate the concern and at least I've got some support to go with. I know I need to bulk up but I just don't understand how much I ought to bulk up to since I want to gain the healthy way and not too quickly. I want and need some mass to work with to sculpt up and get that fit look than the sickly one I have. I can't even cut my hair short or I'll look like a death patient. Sort of rocking a Kurt Cobain hairdo haha.

Need to also understand how much I could potentially be losing a night with working. Some place is telling me 400-something a night, others are saying way more :S

It's like, I don't want to sit there and eat an entire large pizza to myself to gain weight. I'd rather eat healthy foods like peanuts and fruits and good grains and eggs, all that jazz to give me the right nutrition and energy : )
    Hello :-)
    I really don't have any useful tips for you, as I'm not an expert on your Medical condition and such. But personally,I would definitely think that you should eat at a surplus and maybe add in some form of strength training, if it's okay with your doctor.
    I hope you find the answers your looking for!! Your in the right place :-) best of luck!!

Hugs!

Yeah, it is a lot. I don't need much help with the Gastroparesis thing, I've got it sorted out for the time being by going vegetarian-pescatarian, it's helped out a lot but definitely not a cure. I have those movements but my stomach/bowels bloat up and I can see it physically which looks like a balloon, and I still need to use laxatives here and there to flush it out and look normal again. I don't rely on them much anymore but I still have to take them maybe twice or three times a month to allow my body to be fully empty than to be sick and blocked up.

Edited to prevent double posting!
    Wow! You have had a lot to deal with. I can't help with the sculpting but if you need a friend to encourage you let me know. I would recommend seeing a dietician to help you set a calorie goal and maybe assist with foods that would be good for your Gastroparesis. I wish you well. I hope you can find others who have some strategies you can use.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I'm hesitant to give any advice on the basis that you are suffering from a medical condition and I have no idea how any suggestions people give here may effect your situation. That being said, I have a couple of general statements I'm happy to make:

Firstly, steer clear of the DVDs if your goal is to add some meat to your bones. These are cardio based and will just add to your already hefty caloric deficit.

Instead I'd say to minimise your cardio work outside of work, and concentrate on eating! Just eat as much of the foods you can handle. It will probably be a slow progression but try to eat as frequently as possible to minimise the gastric distress from overly large meals - eg take in caloricly dense snacks to have on your 15 minute breaks etc.

Outside of work, the activity I'd recommend is heavy lifting. Find yourself a good beginner weight lifting routine and stick with it. 3-4 days per week is plenty of volume and I'd suggest starting out with a full body routine to give you the biggest 'bang for your buck'.

The program you choose will be based on personal preference, available time etc. but as a starting point I'd recommend programs like Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5X5, or Icecream Fitness Beginner Routine.

Bottom line: Eat and lift, and be patient.

Best of luck to you!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    One more thought/question while I think of it. Have you tried any liquid 'meal replacement' type drinks? I wouldn't suggest it take the place of any real food, but in your case a quick high calorie shake between meals might be a way to bump up calories without getting the volume of food. It's also a good way to sneak in some more fibre.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    So, without familiarity with your condition, you know we're pretty much shooting in the dark here...but are you able to easily consume liquid calories? Perhaps some meal replacement shakes along with your vegetarian diet would help you get your weight up. You can also add peanut butter and bananas and things like that.

Fruit is another option, although you might need to watch the fiber.

As far as bulking, check with your doc before starting any exercise program, but if it's ok, Stronglifts is a great program for beginners if you have access to free weights. It's an app you download on your phone, it gives 3 exercises to do 5 reps, 5 sets, for each workout, and it keeps track of the weight for you and adds weight each time. If you don't have access to the weights, then there are several books for using bodyweight.

Good luck!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    IMHO, most of this is really not an issue.

1. Eat at a surplus
    2. Eat plenty of protein
    3. Lift heavy

NOW, the one issue is the Transexual Male part... It may be that you will need some type of hormonal therapy to develop the male bulk you are looking for... I recommend consulting your physician concerning that part... Testosterone is necessary to develop a male muscular development. I am sure that they can give you insight in that area that most of us would have no clue about.
  • midas1022
    midas1022 Posts: 151
    Options
    Eat lots of avocados. They have fiber and tons of good fat and are high in calories.
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in barbell training, here's the website of a competitive powerlifter who suffers from gastroparesis.

http://birthofathena.com/
  • milkgainer
    Options
    I know someone with your medical condition, and they were able to have surgery to restart peristalsis. They also went vegetarian for a time but went back to eating meat (slowly). Are you under the care of a doctor? Are you on reglan or any of the other typical medications? I don't know if anyone here is going to be able to give you good advice because it's such an unusual and tricky condition. Nutritional density is very important as is eating meals frequently.
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in barbell training, here's the website of a competitive powerlifter who suffers from gastroparesis.

http://birthofathena.com/

To be clear, I would do this over anything else. Get Mark Rippetoe's books on strength training.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

1. Eat at a surplus
    2. Eat plenty of protein
    3. Lift heavy

NOW, the one issue is the Transexual Male part... It may be that you will need some type of hormonal therapy to develop the male bulk you are looking for... I recommend consulting your physician concerning that part... Testosterone is necessary to develop a male muscular development. I am sure that they can give you insight in that area that most of us would have no clue about.

I agree with all of this. It may be difficult (it's not impossible) for you to gain the type of muscle you want without the help of some hormonal therapy. I think seeing your dr. is a really good idea. Good luck!
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options
    I wouldn't attempt to do any training until you see a professional dietician, your training is based off of foods until you have control on those, I wouldn't tax your body with something it's not ready for. Take the time to heal your body and understand your body and it's needs before worrying about weight/size. In time it will come, be patient and ask for professional help that's what they do for a living.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Dont waste your time and money with the gym and exercises. Go to your nearest supermarket and eat until you feel bloated. Do that for one month and maybe after you can start exercisng.
  • michaelsontag
    Options
    So to be honest with the advice, I need honesty in the details. After doing a quick research on your condition (Gastroparesis) it indicates that this issue (absent some initial known cause especially) tends to happen predominantly to females, and the conditions worsen when Progesterone levels increase. Seeing a potential for hormone complications in your history, have you discussed with your doctor the potential for a revision of (or staring of) hormone therapies to both Assist your transgender strategy and possibly minimize negative effects in the Gastroparesis?

Lacking that, I would always recommend people to work out (which hopefully increases hunger, but focus on lower intensity at 50-75% MHR) and eat. Because calorie intake is a problem for you (challenge rather) I would say you need to reprioritize calorie intake to a 60% fat, 30% protein, 10% carb approach. Seeing that you are challenged to get to a kcal a day, you need to treat yourself acutely (survival) and prioritize your body with what it needs for survival before everything else. Since carbs are technically not a need, they need lower priority. Essentially, you need to modify a Gastric Bypass diet. Also consider that it may be easier for you to take in nutrients if they are displaced over more smaller/frequent meals.

Good luck, hope you come out beating this thing.
  • TangieRenee97
    Options
    Hey :) I have a couple suggestions that might help. Ever heard of the Ninja Kitchen System? Get one if you can and buy foods that you can handle and blend them up pretty much whole and drink it. It's a good way to get the major nutrients you need in liquid form with natural fiber and since it's so smooth when you drink it, it should help with energy levels majorly. It's ok to even include nuts for protein and fat. I am not saying to try and do this exclusively, but add a couple veggie or fruit shakes in with what you are already eating if you can. The worst thing that can happen is an energy boost, brighter skin and get your color up a couple of shades. You cannot OD on vegetables.. it would be really hard to anyway.
    I understand being vegetarian, even though I am not one myself. If you don't want to eat animal protein then look for other sources. Soy has protein as well as nuts and if you can manage meat at all, small portions snuck in with a bigger meal might be a good idea.
    And lastly, if it's not going to bother you have you considered taking any Fish Oil tablets? They have a natural laxitive effect and might help things move a bit easier. If you have not been warned to stay away from it, a bowl of high fiber cereal every so often may help as well.
    But I am serious about the juice thing. It will help you so much. Working out might not be such a good idea until you have gained some weight. After focusing on what you eat and including as much protein and or healthy fats you should gain some weight. I hope I helped some.
    Maybe consult a nutritionist that knows something about your past diagnosis and let them give you suggestions too.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no advice, just wanted to throw some support/encouragement your way! Best of luck to you!
  • queenbekks
    queenbekks Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Many good suggestions above! Definitely want to talk to your doctor, maybe think about consulting an RD? (Especially one who specializes in gastroparesis.) I would recommend Dr Joel Furhman's "Eat to Live" to anyone (its tough to follow, IMO, but it is VERY healthy!). Focus on (healthy) fats to help you gain - avocadoes, nuts, etc. And lift to start gaining muscle, there is plenty of info about that topic here on MFP. Good luck! :)
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options

1. Eat at a surplus
    2. Eat plenty of protein
    3. Lift heavy

I agree with all of this. It may be difficult (it's not impossible) for you to gain the type of muscle you want without the help of some hormonal therapy. I think seeing your dr. is a really good idea. Good luck!