Does a weight gain mean a performance drop in cardio?

Hi,

I have been gaining a few pounds in the past weeks (probably feel some fat and a bit of muscle). I noticed I really struggled on the treadmill this morning (more than usual). I also noticed my heartbeat has increased since I gained weight.

So is it normal to performed less well in cardio when we gain weight?

Thanks,
Jamal

Replies

• Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Maybe your just abit run down
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    My weight affects me. I lost 28lbs then got stuck back on meds that helped me gain it all back. At my lightest I could run 40 minutes, at the minute I can manage 10 - 20
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Hi,

I have been gaining a few pounds in the past weeks (probably feel some fat and a bit of muscle). I noticed I really struggled on the treadmill this morning (more than usual). I also noticed my heartbeat has increased since I gained weight.

So is it normal to performed less well in cardio when we gain weight?

Thanks,
    Jamal

a 'few pounds' wont make a difference i wouldnt have thought.
  • EmmaNilsson77
    EmmaNilsson77 Posts: 38 Member
    Why did you gain the weight, though? Not exercising as much? That's probably more to do with why. It's said you can start to see a drop in performance levels after as little of 2-3 weeks of inactivity.
    That said, it's possible. Try going for a run with a couple pound weights and see if that doesn't make things a bit difficult.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Weird. Being heavy and muscular definitely makes it harder to go uphill, but not necessarily on a flat treadmill run. Fat, however, definitely slows you down. It's not just the weight, it makes you less efficient at shedding heat and so your body overheats quicker. Which makes it say "slow down, buddy". It's been studied that when marathon runners or other athletes reach a temperature of 41 C they are about to reach their limit. The body doesn't like getting much hotter than that.

Maybe you're just fatigued from all the workouts? Take a few days easy or off and see what happens.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    Weird. Being heavy and muscular definitely makes it harder to go uphill, but not necessarily on a flat treadmill run. Fat, however, definitely slows you down. It's not just the weight, it makes you less efficient at shedding heat and so your body overheats quicker. Which makes it say "slow down, buddy". It's been studied that when marathon runners or other athletes reach a temperature of 41 C they are about to reach their limit. The body doesn't like getting much hotter than that.

Maybe you're just fatigued from all the workouts? Take a few days easy or off and see what happens.

I usually put some inclines when I run. Maybe I went a bit too far on the peanut butter which contains more fat than protein.
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Maybe I went a bit too far on the peanut butter which contains more fat than protein.

Were you under your calorie goals?
    Then no this wont matter at all.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Maybe I went a bit too far on the peanut butter which contains more fat than protein.

Yes I was. I am trying to increase high protein food gradually: whey protein, milk, peanut butter, eggs and tuna.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Since the measure of aerobic fitness is VO2max, and it is mL per kg per min - yes, as you increase weight if that doesn't improve it actually lowers.

So either at the same HR your pace will slow, or to keep the same pace your HR will go up.

The amount of change obvious depends on how much weight change, and where was your fitness level.

If poor fitness level (low VO2) then change of weight is bigger impact. More fit - not as much.

Gravity being involved effects it more. Running will see effect more than cycling, and up the incline on either is more than the flat effort.

That being said, I'm betting it's related to other stuff, because those changes above would have been just as gradual as the weight change, and probably not noticeable until you compared performance from past stats to current and saw the difference.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

Yes I was. I am trying to increase high protein food gradually: whey protein, milk, peanut butter, eggs and tuna.

Ya, peanut butter would not fall in the grouping of high protein, not per calories per serving by any means.

And no, that would not have caused fat gain if eating at a calorie goal that is still less than you burn.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    It depends.

However, the core question being: "Can being overweight for a task result in less than optimal performance in that task?"

Yes.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    I'd say yes. My 5k has slowed drastically since my bulk where I added 7lb of muscle and fat. My heart rate is faster too.

But I put those goals aside to concentrate on bulking.

Isn't that what you're supposed to be doing?
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    I gained 20 lbs last year between vacations and the holidays, and i could feel it on my daily run. Running three felt like six =( good news i took it off pretty fast and yes it made a huge difference =) i do notice sometimes when i am banking calories to offset a dinner out that my runs suffer w the lower calories as well. Usually a good meal or a few hundred extra cals one day and i am back to normal.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    I got lighter, more muscular (by a bit) and quite a bit faster kick boxing from that so I'd say yes.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    I'd say yes. My 5k has slowed drastically since my bulk where I added 7lb of muscle and fat. My heart rate is faster too.

During that time, did you decrease your concentration on cardio? I went from 165-173lbs and became a much stronger 5K runner, and even stronger 10K.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Just reading through your previous posts, it seems like you have a decent amount of anxiety about gaining. That's totally normal, but there's a good chance the anxiety itself is interfering with your cardio performance. You said it's only been a few weeks and you've only gained a pound or two, right? It's more likely that you're expecting/afraid to see a drop in cardio performance (and so your body is responding in kind) than that a few weeks of eating at a surplus and a couple of extra pounds is really negatively affecting your cardio.
  • Jamal_Guildford

Totally agreed. I would sacrifice my fitness skills to gain muscle and fat. Want to be stronger.....
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member

During that time, did you decrease your concentration on cardio? I went from 165-173lbs and became a much stronger 5K runner, and even stronger 10K.

You know what, I did do far less training on cardio. I have been back training like before for about 6 weeks now. Yet to test my 5k but it really is slower. I did that 21 min 5k after 6 months of training so I shall wait and see, but I don't feel light on my feet yet. I'm small framed too. Time will tell. I just beat last years 10k by 1 minute but I felt awful afterwards, I don't think I'm fitter, just more crazy!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    Carrying more weight with no increase in strength or muscle will usually lower your performance in cardio based exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    While gain in weight will effect running efficiency, "struggling" would have more to do with your rest, enough carbs in your diet, extreme temperatures etc...

If you are bulking, you would be lifting greater weight that would also tax your body more than normal when you do cardo.