Is beer good to bulk up/weight gain?

Beer is my treat and I like to have between one and two pints a day. According to MFP, beer is high in carbs... but there is not fat. Just wondering whether beer is good for bulking up...

Replies

• MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    No. Your body doesn't make as much muscle while beer is in the system. It's busy eradicating the alcohol.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    No. Your body doesn't make as much muscle while beer is in the system. It's busy eradicating the alcohol.

Strange... I have been lifting heavier since I started having betwteen one and two pints a day. It's my favorite treat :(
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

Strange... I have been lifting heavier since I started having betwteen one and two pints a day. It's my favorite treat :(

do why did you ask if you already had results to confirm your hypothesis?
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member

do why did you ask if you already had results to confirm your hypothesis?

Obviously a f-ing troll.
  • LifterDave
    LifterDave Posts: 112 Member
    It is good for bulking up your mono-ab if you're not careful.
  • OmegaAlpha007
    OmegaAlpha007 Posts: 70 Member
    Yeah you can definitely gain weight while drinking beer, will you get the same results as adding a cup of rice.... no

Surplus in calories will lead to weight gain but,... make concious food choices...
  • WLG1974
    WLG1974 Posts: 90
    Beer belly is not a cute look. But hey, it's your FAVORITE treat!!! Drink away!
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    I'm a little skeptical about alcohol helping or hurting your muscle gains to any significant degree.

The main thing is that you're training your muscles and you have a calorie surplus. The alcohol can obviously contribute to that surplus, but I wouldn't go overboard. I pint or two a day is definitely not overboard, in my opinion.

If everything is still working for you and the pint or two a day hasn't screwed up your goals, then I don't really see a great reason to avoid it.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Most articles I see talking about drinking interfering with your gains are talking about binge drinking/getting trashed. If you go to the pub for a pint or two after work, I highly doubt you will notice less in the way of gains - just be sure you account for the calories. If you go to the pub and get ****faced several nights a week, on the other hand, this can really mess with your energy levels, your training and it can more generally be rough on your body.
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    I drink a few beers most days a week, sometimes more sometimes less. And I lift, and I eat at a big deficit, with refeeds once a week. I can't say that I have noticed my muscles wasting away. I'm making strength gains. So I don't see a problem. I don't get "trashed" I never have a hang over.
    It's all about your goals, is you goal to gain muscle at any cost? Live a happy healthy balanced enjoyable life with a sustainable diet? Something else?
    My goal is to enjoy myself while staying fit and active. The good points of beer out weigh the bad by a long shot for me.
  • 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    As long as you're getting your protein requirements (easiest to just go for about one gram of protein for each pounds of bodyweight, unless you are hugely overweight).

Now fill in the rest of your caloric requirements.

Anything that adds to getting you above your maintenance (where you are gaining anywhere from 2-4 pounds a month) is good to go. Beer, ice-cream, cookies,... Of course i assume you are lifting progressively (i.e. adding weight to the bar, doing more reps...)

Beer won't make you fat, a consistent aggressive surplus of calories will (i.e. dirty bulk). Don't try to gain 10 pounds a month and expect to remain lean for long.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    I drink way more than I should, complete with at least one hangover a month (which I am working to change.) Anyway, I've been lifting for the last nine months with excellent results. I'm also 38 and female.
  • mo_lfc
    mo_lfc Posts: 4 Member
    Alcohol messes up your system and various organs. Somebody who wants their body to be in peak condition should stay well away in my opinion.
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    but I love beer
  • ddixon503
    ddixon503 Posts: 119 Member
    *sigh*
  • girlygirlnicole
    girlygirlnicole Posts: 54 Member
    Post made me giggle!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    carbs but probably the wrong kind of carbs. You need protein. Kind of hard to get a good workout with more than a moderate amount of alcohol in the system. I would find something a bit healthier.
  • JoRocka
    Alcohol messes up your system and various organs. Somebody who wants their body to be in peak condition should stay well away in my opinion.

and that's just no fun at all.

I drink 2-3 beers/week but honestly that's not even an accurate average a week- some weeks it's 0- sometimes it's one. t most it's 2 one night- and then one later in the week- I'm a complete and utter light weight (and I love it)...

it- like every other food in our world- is fine in moderation.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    Thanks for your response. Then I am going to try to reduce beer: try with one pint a day (I am on two pints a day at the moment).

Do you have any high protein substitue I can drink in the evening? Milk shake? Hot chocolate (not really the good period, it's summer here in the UK)?

I am already having two protein shakes a day and my doctor told me it was enough and I should not drink more. For dinner, I usually trying to have a high-protein meal: tuna, eggs, chicken with some vegs (I dont eat vegs during the day).
  • JoRocka
    2 protein shakes a day and a solid serving of meat should get you up to where you want.

I'm only taking one shake a day and I'm managing upwards of 150 a day.

so yes- you should be fine.