Oh Dear MFP suppots Detox and cleanses

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    generally mean eat more whole natural foods in an attempt to lessen the amount of toxins ingested.

Well this just makes an eyeroll worthy assumption that "natural" is good, anything man touched is "bad".

Particularly acutely there's FAR more to worry about that is "natural" in foods than approved man made additives or chemicals...

Does that mean my mashed potatoes are bad? They aren't found in nature and my hands touched them... well the tools to create them. :wink:
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    But I don't tend to get bent out of shape over word choice. Tone, detox, cleanse, bad carbs, good fats, etc., none of that verbiage, that seems to make others see red, bothers me as long as I can get the gist of what is being said.

Whereas I tend to actually believe that the words that people choose to use in "professional" writing are carefully chosen. If this person writes that she felt the "toxins" were gone, I would challenge to know the toxins. Word choice matters.

You want her to list the toxins? Why? We all ingest toxins.

Please name even ONE that is eliminated by drinking a homemade smoothie that wouldn't otherwise be eliminated by the body while eating a normal diet.

Since you referred to more than one (because "toxins"), surely this won't be hard to do. Just the name of even ONE, please.

Please?

Certainly there are toxins that aren't naturally eliminated by body. That's where the poison control center comes in.

But I, nor the blogger (just read it again to be sure), said anything about toxins being eliminated that wouldnt otherwise be eliminated by a healthy body. In fact, didn't she credit the extra liquid with the detox process? And isn't that one of the benefits of extra liquid - to flush toxins from our bodies?

Direct cut and paste from the blogger's reply in the comments section

Here are some of the health benefits: It’s packed with fiber and protein and loaded with calcium. While fiber content does help “clean you out” (to put it nicely), the main detoxifying ingredient is parsley. It promotes urinary tract health, balance blood sugars, fights bloating, bad breath and free radicals, and detox heavy metals out of your system – to name a few.

Blatant misinformation

Are you sure?

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-792-PARSLEY.aspx?activeIngredientId=792&activeIngredientName=PARSLEY

Even if I did go to that site for my medical conditions, if you go to the page that is called

PARSLEY Uses & Effectiveness, it states:

Insufficient Evidence for:

Kidney stones.
    Urinary tract infections (UTIs).
    Cracked or chapped skin.
    Bruises.
    Tumors.
    Insect bites.
    Digestive problems.
    Menstrual problems.
    Liver disorders.
    Asthma.
    Cough.
    Fluid retention and swelling (edema).
    Other conditions.
    More evidence is needed to rate the effectiveness of parsley for these uses

So I think we are left with it being helpful for dealing with bad breath and for inducing abortions (unless those are part of "other conditions"

(I really hope you are being sarcastic)

ETA in response to another statement you made; I think most people when they say detox , they think they are really removing toxins that otherwise would be left in their body. The blogger clearly stated that parsley removes heavy metals; not sure why you won't acknowledge that this is misinformation.

I don't know that it is misinformation. I've never read up on parsley in relation to heavy metals. Do you have some source that says it does not?

And, no, I wasn't being sarcastic re: WebMD. I think it a pretty decent site for information. My point was that this blogger is not totally off base with her assertions. Parsley has been historically used to treat many of the things she mentioned.

I can't find anything to say that it does; perhaps you have a link (besides todays' blog) that say that it does?

The WebMD site stated that there was basically no evidence to support any of the listed benefits of parsley.

I did learn though that parsley interferes with the effectiveness of Coumadin, so if you are on that blood thinner you probably shouldn't ingest this smoothie.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    as long as they are not green tinted or bitter tasting, suggesting solanine contamination, you should be ok.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    But I don't tend to get bent out of shape over word choice. Tone, detox, cleanse, bad carbs, good fats, etc., none of that verbiage, that seems to make others see red, bothers me as long as I can get the gist of what is being said.

Whereas I tend to actually believe that the words that people choose to use in "professional" writing are carefully chosen. If this person writes that she felt the "toxins" were gone, I would challenge to know the toxins. Word choice matters.

Please name even ONE that is eliminated by drinking a homemade smoothie that wouldn't otherwise be eliminated by the body while eating a normal diet.

Since you referred to more than one (because "toxins"), surely this won't be hard to do. Just the name of even ONE, please.

Please?

Certainly there are toxins that aren't naturally eliminated by body. That's where the poison control center comes in.

But I, nor the blogger (just read it again to be sure), said anything about toxins being eliminated that wouldnt otherwise be eliminated by a healthy body. In fact, didn't she credit the extra liquid with the detox process? And isn't that one of the benefits of extra liquid - to flush toxins from our bodies?

Here are some of the health benefits: It’s packed with fiber and protein and loaded with calcium. While fiber content does help “clean you out” (to put it nicely), the main detoxifying ingredient is parsley. It promotes urinary tract health, balance blood sugars, fights bloating, bad breath and free radicals, and detox heavy metals out of your system – to name a few.

Blatant misinformation

Are you sure?

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-792-PARSLEY.aspx?activeIngredientId=792&activeIngredientName=PARSLEY

Even if I did go to that site for my medical conditions, if you go to the page that is called

Kidney stones.
    Cracked or chapped skin.
    Bruises.
    Tumors.
    Insect bites.
    Digestive problems.
    Menstrual problems.
    Liver disorders.
    Asthma.
    Cough.
    Other conditions.

So I think we are left with it being helpful for dealing with bad breath and for inducing abortions (unless those are part of "other conditions"

ETA in response to another statement you made; I think most people when they say detox , they think they are really removing toxins that otherwise would be left in their body. The blogger clearly stated that parsley removes heavy metals; not sure why you won't acknowledge that this is misinformation.

I don't know that it is misinformation. I've never read up on parsley in relation to heavy metals. Do you have some source that says it does not?

And, no, I wasn't being sarcastic re: WebMD. I think it a pretty decent site for information. My point was that this blogger is not totally off base with her assertions. Parsley has been historically used to treat many of the things she mentioned.
    You certainly can argue any point. Any at all.

"Man, that car is fast"

"Well.....depends on what you consider fast. The speed of light, now that's fast and if you put it next to the car you now have a snail. So no, I wouldn't say it's fast"

Only on MFP can one person argue. :wink:
  • bcattoes

Please?

Blatant misinformation

Are you sure?

Kidney stones.
    Cracked or chapped skin.
    Bruises.
    Tumors.
    Insect bites.
    Digestive problems.
    Menstrual problems.
    Liver disorders.
    Asthma.
    Cough.
    Other conditions.

I can't find anything to say that it does; perhaps you have a link (besides todays' blog) that say that it does?

The WebMD site stated that there was basically no evidence to support any of the listed benefits of parsley.

I did learn though that parsley interferes with the effectiveness of Coumadin, so if you are on that blood thinner you probably shouldn't ingest this smoothie.

No link (see bolded statement above)

ETA: I just typed "does parsley help remove heavy metals" into Google and it brought up several links, though at first glance none appeared to be medical or science sites.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    oh ma ga the toxinzzzz
    tumblr_mdngefQhjs1rk74yho1_250.gif

lols

IN! for the cute kitties & doggies :) ....and also to read the amusing responses from that one dude trying to defend the toxin removing smoothie blogger.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

Please?

Blatant misinformation

Are you sure?

Kidney stones.
    Cracked or chapped skin.
    Bruises.
    Tumors.
    Insect bites.
    Digestive problems.
    Menstrual problems.
    Liver disorders.
    Asthma.
    Cough.
    Other conditions.

Well, whatever you do, don't let an absence of facts keep you from vehemently arguing your defense of something.
  • bcattoes

Well, whatever you do, don't let an absence of facts keep you from vehemently arguing your defense of something.

You are so funny! When did I argue in defense of parsley removing heavy metals? It was the other poster who said it was "blatant misinformation" but now seems to admit they have no knowledge one way or the other.

Edit: remove wall of text, as apparently my walls of text are offensive.
  • k8blujay2
    as long as they are not green tinted or bitter tasting, suggesting solanine contamination, you should be ok.

Yes!!! I'm in the clear!

Oh and I was just browsing through the blogs... and I have another reason to not like this new section of the website... they really like to tout SELF magazine nonsense....
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    I don't know why this is a suprise to people. Have you guys seen some of the FB topics they like to post? Just today I saw a "Use these 8 moves to target fat" post from MFP.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    bcattoes just likes to build wall o'quote boxes.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    I don't know why this is a suprise to people. Have you guys seen some of the FB topics they like to post? Just today I saw a "Use these 8 moves to target fat" post from MFP.

huh. i never check out the facebook or blog posts, so until i read this post today i was blissfully unaware of the ridiculousness that MFP is promoting.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Lost me immediately at "vegan" and "cleanse". I'd rather get a root canal sans anesthesia. For "cleanse" my body does it just fine, and for "vegan", NEVER.
  • k8blujay2
    bcattoes just likes to build wall o'quote boxes.

It has definitely gotten into TL:DR territory a couple of pages back.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    generally mean eat more whole natural foods in an attempt to lessen the amount of toxins ingested.

Well this just makes an eyeroll worthy assumption that "natural" is good, anything man touched is "bad".

Particularly acutely there's FAR more to worry about that is "natural" in foods than approved man made additives or chemicals...

Does that mean my mashed potatoes are bad? They aren't found in nature and my hands touched them... well the tools to create them. :wink:

Organic Hemlock, however, cleanz you of all the toxins!!!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I think there was no sarcasm...

...and he absolutely nailed the point.
    I was arguing in favor of allowing multiple viewpoints to be posted without the majority resorting to calling the dissenter names. I thought the sarcasm was obvious.

No, wait, maybe I literally meant bcattoes should "Assimilate or shut up"... No, I don't think so. There are enough parrots. :smile:
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Assimilate or shut up

seems to be a popular stance by most in authority...
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    All this talk about "detox" and "cleanses" and I had to run to the bathroom fast---not kidding, literally. I guess just all the back and forth on this subject did the trick, because I surely didn't drink a smoothie. Lucky me. :laugh:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member

huh. i never check out the facebook or blog posts, so until i read this post today i was blissfully unaware of the ridiculousness that MFP is promoting.
    Probably tied to the recent sellout and wanting to make moar moneys