Aversion for processed fatty/sugary food?

Options
I want to gain some weight : 3kg at least (I'm 6' 0.4" and currently weight 122lbs), my problem is the calorie intake...

I developped a sort of aversion for all processed food, I never buy industrial products i cook everything from scratch.
I love to cook for myself (healthy tasty meals), but I realized that it's not calorie dense enought for my goal plus I feel satisfied with small portions.
I started to add an extra olive oil spoon with my stir fried veggies for example add bananas in my smoothies, eat more nuts, more red meat (I'm trying to get muscles i need some proteins and fat).

I can going out with friends and eat "junk food" (tho not every junk food places, good quality ones) once per week . I have stomach ache and feel sluggish after those meals and I unconsciously makes my next meals even smaller and healthier as if my body was compensating!

So I was wondering if you were/are in the same situation, if you had/have difficulty (physically) to increase portion size, if you managed to gain weight healthily and
How long does it should take to gain 3 - 5kg?

:)

(P.S. : sorry if my english is rubbish, i'm french.)

Replies

• hal1964
    hal1964 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    3kg is not that much and certainly attainable but what’s your time frame for that? Do you use the calculators here on MFP to adjust your caloric intake? Everyone is different but there is no way to know how long proper weight (muscle) gain will take. One thing is for sure, it takes time. So you need to be patient.

It’s good you cut out junk food and processed food. No more sugar! More vegetables are good too but you right, you need more protein. Lean protein. Things like chicken and fish. Adding more protein, if you can, will go a long way to meeting your goal.

You also need to lift weights. If you do these things, you can gain weight (muscle) reasonably and sensibly. It was difficult for me too but I found the way!
  • clarinette34
    clarinette34 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much hal1964 :)

I don't have a specific time frame, I was just wondering cause I'm getting frustrated : I'm happy to see the pounds going up one day, and then few days after that it's all gone :'( (recently i managed to gain 2kg in half a week -or i thought i had : I lost it as quickly as it arrived).
    I don't have a scale, so it's hard for me to estimate my calories intake everyday. i can do it for one or two days ; i try to guess the quantity, but i got bored. And it's long with all the different aliments I'm cooking.

I was a long-jogs addict, now i run faster but half the time i used to. I want to try weightlift. I don't like doing exercice indoors, no motivation for that but I'll try to do it on a regular basis.

It's nice to know I'm not alone. :)
    How was your experience? if you don't mind sharing (or maybe i should look in the forum to read it..). it's interresting to meet ppl with similar issues :)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    OP deactivated. What the french fried chicken?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

she sobered up!
  • UK34
    UK34 Posts: 23
    Options
    What about eating lots of pasta and rice? I know they are good calories and carbs. I am trying to loose a few pounds before my holiday and they are my enemy for keeping my calories under control :mad: But I love to make random dishes out of veg and chicken and it always wants to go with rice or pasta.
    It could work in your favour?
  • kentwhale
    kentwhale Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    6ft 4" and 122 llbs (8st 10bs) :huh:
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Possibly a failure to grasp imperial measurements.

If you are French and want to gain weight, the answer is clearly cheese.
  • clarinette34
    Options
    @ UK34, yes I eat rice and pasta at least one meal per day. But my portions of vegetables are bigger than the carbs... So I'll follow your advice and increase the portion of carbs in my plates.
    And I make my own bread everyday so it counts as carbs.

@SteweJWatson : And yes I love cheese. In the family we have always at least 5 type of cheeses we are french but we don't eat a lot in quantity actually. I have like a dice or less of every cheese when I'm in my family. Alone i can only have one cheese in my fridge (i hate wasting food). It that last me 2 or 3 weeks (depends on the cheese)

@Kentwhale and SteweJWatson ; I don't think I made a mistake in the conversion. I'm 184cm - 55.5kg...
  • clarinette34
    Options
    "OP deactivated" : what does it mean?
  • clarinette34
    Options
    oh yeah sorry, I posted on my phone application, then replied on my computer or the other way around (I got 2 accounts and thought i had desactivated and couldn't log in with the other one). Yeah I kind of sobered up lol