Pilates calorie burn

I just did a pilates/yoga workout to a Ellen Barret video on Netlix. According to the calculator here I only burned 133 calories... after 40 minutes of Cruch Super Slimdown.

Seriously?

Does anyone know if that is accurate or not? I loved how the workout focused on the core. Great video in my opinion!

Replies

• chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    I believe it is accurate. Pilates is more weight training and you don't burn as much weight training at all.
  • ItsNatastic
    ItsNatastic Posts: 66 Member
    That does sound about right, but keep in mind that everyone's body is different. The only way to get an accurate number for cals burned is to invest in a heart rate monitor. I find that most of the time the numbers on MFP are WAY more than actual calories burned. Once I got my HRM it all made so much more sense and I didnt end up overeating when I eat my exercise cals!
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Yea that would be about right - you burn calories by raising your heart rate, I doubt your heart rate was up very high during pilates. as above it is more weight training - it is still very important though as muscle burns more calories resting that fat does so the more lean muscle you have the more calories you burn in everyday life :) plus you get a mean tone on :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    There are a number of fitness and health benefits from Pilates. However, unless it inspires you or motivates you to pursue a consistent healthy eating plan or follow an additional consistently more vigorous exercise routine, Pilates is probably not going to have a major direct effect in a weight loss program. You aren't going to burn many calories and you aren't going to increase muscle mass by a significant amount.

That's not a negative comment on Pilates. The core training it provides might help some people perform better in their other exercise activities; it might help heal or prevent injures that could negatively impact your other activities; it might help one to become more active in general and increase casual activity. All of these are beneficial.

It just won't be a strong of a direct contributor to a weight loss program .
  • Beehiveof8
    Beehiveof8 Posts: 85 Member
    thanksfor the imput!

I am hoping to get a hrm soon. I should have added that I usually do a good cardio workout. I was just looking for something to break up the monotony, KWIM? The strength training for my mid section is much needed... after 8 kids muscles are totally out of shape!

It sounds like the Pilates is good for those strength training days, but I should have most of my workouts still focused on cardio to get my heart rate up. At any rate, it was fun to try!
  • Thanks. This thread explains a lot. I couldn't figure out why pilates and yoga had such low calorie burn numbers.
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    bump to save.
  • Try the Crunch: Fat Burning Pilates on Netflix. This felt like a workout.. more cardio but still pilates based. I did the other one today and it feels more like toning which isn't bad but definitely easier and I didn't break a sweat. Hope that helps!
  • What did you put in for you search for crunch super slim down workout for some reason I cant pull it up. Thanks : )
  • yeah im looking on google now because i also do her pilates work outs and i know im burning more then that
  • KayVee
    KayVee Posts: 34 Member
    Traditional Pilates, 50mins is roughly 175-200 calories. Intermediate to advanced can be over 250, but usually contain lots of push ups (chattarunga) and really working deep into the core to the point of shaking :)
  • xiala
    xiala Posts: 50
    For the Crunch Fat Burning Pilates with Ellen Barrett DVD, I found that using "Aerobics - general" in the exercise database here is more accurate considering the disc is intermediate pilates with cardio instead of regular pilates. I hope this helps.