skinny girl with stretch marks??

Options
hello everybody. i am currently on myfitness pal in an attempt to gain weight. im 5'4" and i started off at 89lbs in the beginning of july. as of now i am 103lbs and gaining. and no i have never had an eating disorder but i have always been very small. 7 years ago i lost a loved one and became very depressed and withdrawn. my appetite became non existent and i lost almost 20 pounds that i could not afford to lose in the first place. i eventually was able to gain some weight back, but i was never able to get to where i was and stayed at, at 98lbs. i was never more than that. i just figured it was bcuz i had a fast metabolism, but now i know that is simply not the case. i just wasnt eating enough. so now for the first time in my life, i weigh over 100 pounds and i gotta say it feels really good! i do have one issue though that i have always had. i have these stretch marks on my *kitten* and i dont understand it. i even had them before my devastating weight loss. how can a skinny chick have stretch marks? they feel smooth on the skin but they are just there. anyone know how or why could this could be? bcuz i cant think of any other reason for this. lol.

Replies

• SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    It's a stereotype that only overweight people have stretch marks. The truth is, they have nothing to do with weight and more to do with the skin stretching.

Most everyone will deal with them at one point or another. A lot of teenagers, even, get them during puberty when they are going through growth spurts or 'filling out'. I would get them on my calves. For us who dealt with them as teens, this can even become a source of stress. But it's totally normal.

The skin stretches as we grow. As we gain weight, or lose weight. Or lose muscle, or build muscle. It's not surprising that you have stretch marks from gaining weight. I'm thin (I wouldn't say I'm skinny anymore, though) and I have stretch marks. Surprisingly most of them came from gaining weight back after ED recovery rather than the initial loss. (That said, I did develop some on my stomach from the initial loss)

The good news is, while they never technically go away.. stretch marks fade in time. Keeping them moisturized helps speed up the process.

The better news is, WAY more people have them than most realize. We tend to just not notice them on others.
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have stretch marks on my ankle from spraining it. Stretch marks don't necessarily mean fat.
  • missycj87
    missycj87 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    im hoping as i continue gain more weight, my stretch marks will eventually fade. they are very annoying but if they dont go away i will just have to learn to deal with it lol. thanks for the reply's though. what you guys said really makes sense. i will just continue to focus on my weight gain so i will finally be at a healthy bmi for once in my life :)
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I have them on my hips/bum after starting to lift & gaining weight to go from 99lbs to 107lbs. I gained this weight really slowly over about 7months and I moisturise religiously but still have them. I'm not exactly happy about it but they are very very faint and not really that noticeable unless I have a tan - I only noticed them after spending a few days sunbathing recently. It hasn't put me off continuing to gain but it is a bit annoying :-(
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks will fade, but they don't go away. They are permanent damage to the skin. a tan will make them less noticeable, but they are there, so make them your friends, LOL

Good luck
  • javid0
    javid0 Posts: 15
    Options
    You're probably just lying to yourself , you used to be fat that's why you got stretch marks.
  • smetka01
    smetka01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You're probably just lying to yourself , you used to be fat that's why you got stretch marks.

Made me smile :laugh: I bet you have them too! :wink:

I got stretch marks when I was teen. I have them on my boobs :blushing: Although I had up and downs for 20 lbs in short time (record is 1 month - no, I am not proud!), happy me I don't have them anywhere else. I hope I won't get any more of them either. I read it takes 7 - 12 months for them to fade. Oil with vitamin E and massage should help.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    a tan will make them less noticeable, but they are there, so make them your friends, LOL

I only noticed mine after sunbathing because the rest of me was brown and they then were obvious as they were white and stood out! When I don't have a tan I don't see them
  • missycj87
    Options
    i am pretty tanned already so i dont focus too much on that. lol
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    It's from developing at puberty. Your butt, breasts, thighs, etc. all fill out more when you reach that age (different for different women). Your hip bones literally widen, which changes the shape/size of your rear. The skin can't always keep up.
  • missycj87
    Options

whatever. im a grown *kitten* woman, not a little kid and i dont have to lie to anybody about my weight to feel better about myself. especially to somebody who's opinion i could care less about. so dont flatter yourself.
  • javid0
    javid0 Posts: 15
    Options
    Try mederma and exfoliate with a brush white showering
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    stretch marks can happen to anyone! no matter shape or size, a ton of people have them, some lighter than others while some bigger or darker. it varies. it just means at some point in your life, your body was growing before your skin had a chance to catch up/was dried out and thus you can get stretch marks. plenty of tiny girls have them. you can fade them with different home treatments, i've also heard bio oil works so maybe check that out. you can't really permanently get rid of them from what i've heard, but they do fade in time especially with treatment. but they're not a huge deal, i promise you sooooo many women & men of all sizes have them and some even learn to love them. personally i think they're pretty cool looking cus it just shows that you've grown into new skin and they're like little waves and ripples of growth kissing your skin. just my view on it. :)
  • missycj87
    Options
    stretch marks can happen to anyone! no matter shape or size, a ton of people have them, some lighter than others while some bigger or darker. it varies. it just means at some point in your life, your body was growing before your skin had a chance to catch up/was dried out and thus you can get stretch marks. plenty of tiny girls have them. you can fade them with different home treatments, i've also heard bio oil works so maybe check that out. you can't really permanently get rid of them from what i've heard, but they do fade in time especially with treatment. but they're not a huge deal, i promise you sooooo many women & men of all sizes have them and some even learn to love them. personally i think they're pretty cool looking cus it just shows that you've grown into new skin and they're like little waves and ripples of growth kissing your skin. just my view on it. :)

LOL! now this made me smile:smile: im not too concerned about them even though i wouldnt mind if they fade a little. i'll just keep gaining and applying lotion to my butt and hope for the best!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    As said, stretch marks don't only come from weight gain!

I hit a major growth spurt when I was a tween, and so I had subtle stretch marks on my hips! Luckily I used Bio Oil and they all went away :love:
  • mamaoftwins9197
    mamaoftwins9197 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have stretch marks from being fat...having 2 babies at once...etc. BUT I also have stretch marks on the back of my knees from a SERIOUS growth spurt when I was younger. Over the course of one summer, I went from 5'2" to 5'8". There are so many causes of stretch marks. And out of all the ones that I have, those are the ones that bother me the most!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It's normal. I have stretch marks too and was never overweight. They're on my hips, and probably showed up during puberty when my hips grew faster than my skin wanted to.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I've had TONS of stretch marks ever since I was a skinny pre-teen who hit a serious growth spurt. In less than a year, I shot up over 6" in height. I got stretch marks on my calves, hips, and the back of my arms. There was nothing I could do about it.

Lots of people who weren't 'fat' still have stretch marks.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    hello everybody. i am currently on myfitness pal in an attempt to gain weight. im 5'4" and i started off at 89lbs in the beginning of july. as of now i am 103lbs and gaining. and no i have never had an eating disorder but i have always been very small. 7 years ago i lost a loved one and became very depressed and withdrawn. my appetite became non existent and i lost almost 20 pounds that i could not afford to lose in the first place. i eventually was able to gain some weight back, but i was never able to get to where i was and stayed at, at 98lbs. i was never more than that. i just figured it was bcuz i had a fast metabolism, but now i know that is simply not the case. i just wasnt eating enough. so now for the first time in my life, i weigh over 100 pounds and i gotta say it feels really good! i do have one issue though that i have always had. i have these stretch marks on my *kitten* and i dont understand it. i even had them before my devastating weight loss. how can a skinny chick have stretch marks? they feel smooth on the skin but they are just there. anyone know how or why could this could be? bcuz i cant think of any other reason for this. lol.
    If you'e on this site, I assume you are taller now than you were when you were born.

Thus, stretch marks.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I remember the first time I ever heard about stretch marks was in junior high when one of my classmates noticed she had them on her calves. Not sure if it was due to a growth spurt or because she was a dancer and was developing muscles but either way, it had nothing to do with fat. Even men have them, and not just from weight gain...something I honestly never considered until I saw posts on here about it.