need honest opinions

Hey! I'm a female and weigh 115 at 5`9".
I've always been confident with my body but alot of people make fun of how skinny i am. And its making me lose my confidence. I would like to gain some muscle if anything. I never work out so maybe having no muscle is of problem. About 3yrs ago i weighed 127lbs but i worked out alot. And i lost the weight when i got mono...and can't gain any back due to high metabolism.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    .and can't gain any back due to high metabolism.

nope.

can't gain it back because you aren't eating enough.

yes- lifting- muscles- these are good things.

you're 45 pounds less than I am- so that's pretty lean- and you're an inch taller. I'd say you're a bit on the thin side.

try starting strength
    strong lifts
    new rules of lifting
    strong curves

all great programs to get you started on lifting- for a complete newbie- so don't worry about not being strong enough.

eat more- that's really the next thing- figure out what your maintenance is- and 2-400 calories above that. After 2-3 weeks if you aren't gaining- eat more than that.

Lather rinse repeat.

check this out as well- good group for women bulking
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/51470-women-who-bulk
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Hey! I'm a female and weigh 115 at 5`9".
    I've always been confident with my body but alot of people make fun of how skinny i am. And its making me lose my confidence. I would like to gain some muscle if anything. I never work out so maybe having no muscle is of problem. About 3yrs ago i weighed 127lbs but i worked out alot. And i lost the weight when i got mono...and can't gain any back due to high metabolism.
    You absolutely CAN gain weight.

And you should, based on your low weight, very low (17.0) BMI and the skinny photos on your profile.

Best of luck on your journey.
  • McVeyMoon
    McVeyMoon Posts: 22 Member
    My whole family, mom, brother, grandmother ect are thin. So it may be genetics?
    Do yall think i look too skinny?
  • JoRocka

possibly a contributer but it doesn't mean just throw your hands up and quit

yes
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    I would suggest looking into your TDEE numbers, eat at a small surplus and start lifting if you want more muscle mass.

115lbs at 5'9" is considered underweight so you can healthily gain a good 10lbs to be at the line between healthy and underweight and if most of that is muscle you'll stay looking really lean, may not even increase much in clothing size, but be healthier.
  • McVeyMoon
    What is TDEE ?
  • JoRocka
    total daily energy expenditure- it's the amount of calories your use just living your daily life and maintaining the weight.

eat above that = gaining weight
    eat below that = losing weight
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Imagine if someone very overweight said: I can't lose weight. My whole family is fat.

Yes, you're too skinny.
  • McVeyMoon
    Ohh ok! I my goals set on the app to be 120 in 5weeks...so it says my calorie intake should be 2150 a day....but i don't think that's enough. Id like to at least gain 5lbs by my wedding in October
  • JoRocka
    well 1/2 pound a week is more reasonable- much faster than that you start running the risk of gaining fat to fast and it's just not as pretty.

what are you eating now? are you maintaining okay on that?

it should be roughly 250-400 calories OVER that number.
  • McVeyMoon
    Yes I'm intaking 2150. And maintaining.
  • JoRocka

start eating 2500 and see how it goes.
  • crjohnston12
    crjohnston12 Posts: 76 Member
    Imagine if someone very overweight said: I can't lose weight. My whole family is fat.

Yes, you're too skinny.

Good point!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,262 Member

Yes, you're too skinny.

Could be hyperthyroidism. I have known more that one person with that hereditary metabolic condition and they have a very had time gaining weight.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,262 Member

start eating 2500 and see how it goes.

And this. Start raising your goal, eventually you will gain.
  • Sabine_Stroehm

Yes, you're too skinny.

Could be hyperthyroidism. I have known more that one person with that hereditary metabolic condition and they have a very had time gaining weight.
    Could be. And with someone who "can't" lose weight it could be hypo....but probably she's just not eating enough.
  • McVeyMoon
    Thanks! I will raise it and see how that works!
  • Jenni_MFP
    Jenni_MFP Posts: 36 Member
    Start strength training to build some muscle -- this should help.

And recognize that the amount of calories you take in may not help you gain weight otherwise. I know the comments above are well meaning but as someone who had the same problem as you until I was 20, no amount of calories helped me gain weight though I tried for years. It wasn't until I developed some other health issues that I was able to gain weight (and then it was too much, argh).

Anyways, my point is... eating more may not help you, so start strength training to build some muscle. And enjoy the benefits of a high metabolism :)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Yes, you are underweight. It's not just our opinion, it's going by current best practices.
    According to BMI
    http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf
    you should be between 130 - 165 to be in a healthy weight range.
    115 is dangerously underweight.

According to Harvard Medical School
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/HB_web/calorie-counting-made-easy.htm
    multiply your ... weight by 15 - that’s roughly the number of calories per pound of body weight needed to maintain your ... weight if you are moderately active. Moderately active means getting at least 30 minutes of physical activity a day

So you should have 1950 - 2475 calories per day to maintain a healthy weight once you get there.
    If you're really eating 2150 and not gaining, increase by a couple hundred cal until you are slowly putting on about 0.5 lb per week. (250 cal per day should be enough to do that; increase, wait a couple weeks, see what happens, maybe increase another 250 cal.)

Since you want to put on muscle to look great & be strong, increase your protein % when you increase calories.
    Look into those beginning weightlifting programs, or see about working with a trainer at your gym (reputable gyms have certified trainers on staff & you don't have to pay extra for them) to set up a program you can follow to safely gain weight & muscle.
  • JoRocka
    Start strength training to build some muscle -- this should help.

And recognize that the amount of calories you take in may not help you gain weight otherwise. I know the comments above are well meaning but as someone who had the same problem as you until I was 20, no amount of calories helped me gain weight though I tried for years. It wasn't until I developed some other health issues that I was able to gain weight (and then it was too much, argh).

Anyways, my point is... eating more may not help you, so start strength training to build some muscle. And enjoy the benefits of a high metabolism :)

You can't build actual muscles without eating a surplus- so the advice still stands.

eat more
    lift weights.

I know a guy who blends slices of cheesecake into his smoothies b/c he has such a hard time putting weight on.
    Most people who say they are hard gainers just don't' realize how much they really truly need to eat- and it's hard work to eat that much food- so they just quit.